Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Boldenone Positive Hearing

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill

Boldenone Positive Hearing

FAIRFAX NZ
    EXPERT: Dr Andrew Grierson

The Judicial Control Authority has fined Wyndham horsemen Gordon and Colin Lee $600 each and instructed them to pay costs of $2000.

The Lees, who train in partnership, had two of their horses test positive to the prohibited substance boldenone _ an anabolic steroid.

Swabs were taken from Surreal Moment (June 23) and Lite Bourbon (July 12) at Forbury Park meetings. Surreal Moment went to the swab box after winning a maiden trotters' race and Lite Bourbon headed there following his sixth in a maiden pacers' event.

Invercargill crown solicitor Mary-Jane Thomas, who acted on behalf of the Lees, told a JCA hearing in Dunedin on December 19 and February 9 that mouldy oats were to blame for the presence of boldenone in both horses.

Samples of oats from the Lees' stable were found to contain boldenone when tested by food safety and biosecurity services company Asure Quality. The tests were done at the request of the Lees.

The discovery was the first documented occasion that boldenone had been detected in horse feed in New Zealand. Before the laboratory tests, the position of the Racing Integrity Unit was that the boldenone could not have been introduced to the horses other than by way of an intra-muscular injection.

The RIU's counsel, Chris Lange, consulted with equine veterinarian Dr Andrew Grierson, who in an affidavit said: ''In my opinion, based on current scientific knowledge, the positive swab for boldenone for Surreal Moment and Lite Bourbon could have arisen from an intra-muscular injection. However, an oral source of boldenone cannot be ruled out''.

Lange also sought an opinion from Dr Geoffrey Beresford who is the racing analyst and general manager of New Zealand Racing Laboratory Services Limited. It conducts the testing of urine samples.

Dr Beresford said in a statement: ''It cannot be scientifically excluded that the contaminant in the feed could elevate boldenone in a horse's urine''.

Murray McKechnie, the chairman of the JCA committee that heard the case, said he and colleague Timothy Gresson were unable to determine how the boldenone got into the systems of Surreal Moment and Lite Bourbon.

''The committee accepts that there is no evidence of any direct involvement by either of the defendants.''

In addition to the Lees being fined, Surreal Moment and Lite Bourbon have been disqualified in the Forbury Park races.

Newest First

Member Gelding Itisi will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Mick Tobias
    WOW..Certain posters on this board wanted the harness boys caught with the same substance locked up and the keys thrown away, at least some sanity has surfaced on how it may have got into the horses system.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Full Hearing report ex Judicial Control Authority for Racing NZ

http://www.jca.org.nz/non-race-day-h...-february-2012

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    I think the finding supports my argument that anabolics should be made legal under veterinary supervision. Used correctly they have high therapeutic value. The fact that one horse won and the other finished sixth is a contradiction to performance enhancing and with the JCA handing out 600 dollar fines I think they were of the same opinion.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Andrew comes up pretty sharp in his pin stripe suit eh? Nice tie too.

Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    You never see him in the green sleeveless overalls. The normal attire of vets I have dealt with..

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    That's all his own hair too. Goes alright for an old bloke.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year The Form Student will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Rocket Glenfern, Tudor Royal, Manaroa,
    Does that mean Mach Wiper & Karloo Kix both ate out of the same food bin????
    Last edited by The Form Student; 03-09-2012 at 12:13 AM.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by The Form Student View Post
    Does that mean Roman Stride & Karloo Kix both ate out of the same food bin????
    I'm pretty sure someone is gunna make a statement on here like " they shared a load of oats "

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Atom View Post
    I think the finding supports my argument that anabolics should be made legal under veterinary supervision. Used correctly they have high therapeutic value. The fact that one horse won and the other finished sixth is a contradiction to performance enhancing and with the JCA handing out 600 dollar fines I think they were of the same opinion.
    And so the old 'if the horse didn't win the treatment didn't work' pearler comes out.
    What if the horse that ran 6th could have only managed 10th without boldenone?
    Visa-versa if the horse wins the drug must have worked. But what if it would have won anyway?

+ Reply to Thread