Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NSW Derby

aussiebreno

NSW Derby

To the mile?

Either that, or preferably a new $100K race for 3yos over the Mile at Menangle. TripleV has mentioned it before and I think todays APG heats re-iterated it.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    It's already been stated the classics at 2400 metres. Oaks and Derby

Senior Member 3YO Mitch will become famous soon enough Mitch's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    To the mile?

Either that, or preferably a new $100K race for 3yos over the Mile at Menangle. TripleV has mentioned it before and I think todays APG heats re-iterated it.
    Brendan, I agree after today's heat we should have a 3yo mile race worth $100K. If they can't put on a new one move the Simpson Memorial to later in the season and increase the prize money. I would leave the Derby distance as is, Derbies to me should be a test of stamina.

Today's heats we're fast. Grand Stride is some horse, he will be impossible to beat if he draws well in the final. Soho Valencia was extremely courgaeous and I think he will be better suited in the Derby... Very tough horse. Major Post can't finish when driven like that,Chris will need to try and hold him up a bit in the 3rd qtr. Medal of Honour was gifted an outstanding drive and Magic Bliss was a great return to form.

Should be an excellent final. I would have to tip Grand Stride on today's performance.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Brendan, I agree after today's heat we should have a 3yo mile race worth $100K. If they can't put on a new one move the Simpson Memorial to later in the season and increase the prize money. I would leave the Derby distance as is, Derbies to me should be a test of stamina.

Today's heats we're fast. Grand Stride is some horse, he will be impossible to beat if he draws well in the final. Soho Valencia was extremely courgaeous and I think he will be better suited in the Derby... Very tough horse. Major Post can't finish when driven like that,Chris will need to try and hold him up a bit in the 3rd qtr. Medal of Honour was gifted an outstanding drive and Magic Bliss was a great return to form.

Should be an excellent final. I would have to tip Grand Stride on today's performance.
    should be a no brainer adjusting the Simpson Memorial, it's been languishing in recent years mainly due to poor money, which begs the question where's the 100K coming from?

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by teecee View Post
    It's already been stated the classics at 2400 metres. Oaks and Derby
    Thanks Ben.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Brendan, I agree after today's heat we should have a 3yo mile race worth $100K. If they can't put on a new one move the Simpson Memorial to later in the season and increase the prize money. Brilliant. I would leave the Derby distance as is, Derbies to me should be a test of stamina. Yep agree, just thought I'd put that in to get some more views on the thread!

Going to be an awesome final!

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    should be a no brainer adjusting the Simpson Memorial, it's been languishing in recent years mainly due to poor money, which begs the question where's the 100K coming from?
    I'd say the Simpson hasn't been languishing from poor money rather poor timing. Anyway, it was $40K this year so an extra $60K in prize-money I am sure that could be afforded if HRNSW wanted a speed test for 3yos.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    As much of a fan as I am of mile racing, I don't think the Derby distance should ever be changed...HOWEVER at the same time we most definitely need a serious BIG $$$$ Open 3yo event over the Mile which would allow colts aspiring to a subsequent siring career to gain themselves a speed badge and sizeable earnings against the best available opposition at the time. It could so easily be incorporated into that absolutely terrific Easter Carnival idea that our esteemed fellow forum member Harold Parker raised a week or two back.

Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    I'd say the Simpson hasn't been languishing from poor money rather poor timing. Anyway, it was $40K this year so an extra $60K in prize-money I am sure that could be afforded if HRNSW wanted a speed test for 3yos.
    Point taken Brenden, but it was a 20K race for about 20 years, money never kept up with what was available elsewhere

Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    As much of a fan as I am of mile racing, I don't think the Derby distance should ever be changed...HOWEVER at the same time we most definitely need a serious BIG $$$$ Open 3yo event over the Mile which would allow colts aspiring to a subsequent siring career to gain themselves a speed badge and sizeable earnings against the best available opposition at the time. It could so easily be incorporated into that absolutely terrific Easter Carnival idea that our esteemed fellow forum member Harold Parker raised a week or two back.
    Respect your point of view Jamie, but why do prospective sires need " a speed badge" do you think?

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    G'day Danno,

Marketing mostly. It's not a relaible predictor of siring success however they at least need the opportunity to get a speed badge that's going to be comparable/equal to the best/fastest of their imported/shuttle sire counterparts in order to afford Australian/NZ based Studs an opportunity to subsequently market such horses on some sort of an even footing with the imports/shuttle sires.

For example, if a local bred colt/entire has won $2mil by the end of his 4yo (or perhaps he gets it by the end of his 3yo if he has a couple of absolutely blinding seasons) and he has a lifetime best mark of 1:51 or thereabouts (one that was taken in some nuff nuff race where he got loose on the lead and scattered a sub-standard field...something which quite often happens) then he is a very big chance to lose out in the prospective sire stakes to an imported or shuttle sire who has won the same amount of $ but has a 1:47-1:48-1:49 mark against his name which he took in a Jug or a Meadowlands Pace or a North America Cup or similar.
    If however that same local bred rips a lifetime best 1:48-1:49 or so at 3yrs and he does it when he's in against the best of the best around & all going for a big $ pay out... then that's something else entirely.

+ Reply to Thread