Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Who Knows How The TAB works?

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by doinmabest View Post
    Brendan, can you be my accountant....we can try zap my losses on the punt as a charity donation.........split the result ...lol
    I like it.

aussiebreno
    I will try to add a serious answer.

Let's say NSW has $10,000 in the pool. TAB takeout (read, TABs profit) is generally around 15-20% so lets say that leaves 80% to be re-distrubuted to winning punters eg $8000 (the 80%).
    If there are, say, $20 worth of winning tickets (this could be one ticket of $200 or 20 tickets of $10 etc) the dividend will be $8000 / $200 = $40 dividend.

Now on the same event lets say S-TAB has a pool of $35,000. The bigger pool does not necesarily mean a bigger payout. Take out the TAB profic of 20% and we are left with $28,000 in distributions. Say $10,000 was invested on the winner the divident will be $28,000 / $10,000 = $2.80

Now say Tatts (QLD) also had a pool of $35,000. 20% takeout leaves $28,000. However only $1000 was invested on the winner. This makes for a $28 payout.

There is no real way to estimate or guess which TAB pool is the best to invest your funds in. The market changes dramatically in the final few minutes so even looking at the markets 5-10 mins before the race will not give an accurate representation (although it's still a great guide).

As one earlier poster mentioned, value can tend to be found around interstate visitors but that is not always the case. Similarly if a NSW horse goes to Vic it will also tend to be shorter on NSW tab.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    If the TAB was a registered charity, I would be its patron.

Just from a NSW point of view, and I couldn't be bothered doing the research myself, but on a consistent observational history, 9 times out of 10, that NSW dividend is NEARLY ALWAYS below the other two totes. On all codes.

I can accept that the totes do equalise up just before they jump as punters see where the value lays, but I am never dissappointed by the fact the NSW div is usually lower and usually by a long way.

To counter this the TAB offers you fixed odds that are rarely a bargain. But no-one puts a gun to our heads to punt in the first place, so like Brendan says ... it is a charity. Where do I sign up for my tax deduction?

aussiebreno
    The following quote is taken from here: http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/pro.../LC20080401011

"I am informed that the New South Wales TAB shares the lowest take-out rates of any racing totalizator operator in the world. For example, the return to punters in Australia of around 84 per cent of total wagers compares with around 77 per cent in the United Kingdom, 69 per cent in France, 74 per cent in Japan and 79 per cent in the United States."

France @ 69%? Don't know what the handicapping is like there but it wouldn't surprise me if you could see two horses under $2 on the same race.
    Anyway, a lot can change in 4 years (that quote was from 2008) but Bronco perhaps NSW punters are just smarter than the rest re lower dividends?

Member Gelding doncht will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Don Chet
    Hi guys, sorry to bump this up but where do I get the latest news about this recently?

+ Reply to Thread