Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Where is the winning post???

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by The Form Student View Post
    Sorry, I thought it was Leeton, I know it was a Saturday night!..........a lot of Allan's cultural humour and sarcasm is often over the heads of the usual "Country Cocky's" that attend these meetings............no inference is intended!
    I don't think its that it goes over peoples/mine head, just that it's not appreciated in his race calls. Accuracy first, then add flamboyancy. Have attended a couple events where he has been MC and appreciate his humour and comments there - as did many others.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year The Form Student will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Rocket Glenfern, Tudor Royal, Manaroa,
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    I don't think its that it goes over peoples/mine head, just that it's not appreciated in his race calls. Accuracy first, then add flamboyancy. Have attended a couple events where he has been MC and appreciate his humour and comments there - as did many others.
    You are right, it needs to be accurate first before you bring in the rest.......I do take your point, I often raise my eyebrows whilst listening to his calls.....but overall he gets the job done........I would like to see him in action at these events. He is obviously well known and has a lot of contacts in the racing industry.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    The, to me at least, funniest thing I ever heard a race caller go with when trying to tie the call in with the name of one of the horses competing was at Globe Derby in SA, I think it was during an ID Carnival?, and can be attributed to visiting US caller Roger Huston. "The Messiah.....nailed to the rail".

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Is that a big splash of white paint across the line at Doomben today? On the vision it appears so and it makes picking the winner pretty easy, did not see any horses get spooked by it.

Just watched the last and it looks like it might be superimposed, but even so it sure does help.
    Last edited by broncobrad; 03-24-2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: further research

Member Filly remington will become famous soon enough remington's Avatar
    Real Name
    joshua tinning
    Horses
    il tesoro, total control
    I know im late into this debate and looks like it has kind of moved on but I think Allan is an amazing caller. Makes the races so interesting and many people comment on how he makes the races enjoyable.
    So as the green light twinkles and they travel back from wence the began, only to see the spinnakers setand filling with wind as they HITTT THEEE LINEEEEEEE........... GOT THEREEEE

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Last night at Albury........in one of the races Alan, says "there are more breakers than at Manly Beach!"

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Quote Originally Posted by broncobrad View Post
    Is that a big splash of white paint across the line at Doomben today? On the vision it appears so and it makes picking the winner pretty easy, did not see any horses get spooked by it.

Just watched the last and it looks like it might be superimposed, but even so it sure does help.
    Menangle needs something, they run down that long straight, the winning post is lost in amongst the advertising display boards, the camera is past the post and you have to work out how your horse finished in a close finish...........why don't they just give it a "try" and see what people think!!!

Senior Member 4YO Thevoiceofreason has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Bill Williams
    Occupation
    Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by The Form Student View Post
    Menangle needs something, they run down that long straight, the winning post is lost in amongst the advertising display boards, the camera is past the post and you have to work out how your horse finished in a close finish...........why don't they just give it a "try" and see what people think!!!
    COST like everything else, that is why.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Quote Originally Posted by remington View Post
    I know im late into this debate and looks like it has kind of moved on but I think Allan is an amazing caller. Makes the races so interesting and many people comment on how he makes the races enjoyable.
    So as the green light twinkles and they travel back from wence the began, only to see the spinnakers setand filling with wind as they HITTT THEEE LINEEEEEEE........... GOT THEREEEE
    If you ever get the chance to listen to a bloke called Shane Green? who calls at Alice Springs, do yourself a favour. There is nothing wrong with his accuracy, because they are usually small fields and he calls a spade a spade. There is nothing politically correct about his calls and I often wonder if he ever runs foul of the race clubs with his comments..."the favourites five lengths last, someone break out the smelling salts"...I would love to hear him call a Melbourne Cup, it would be hilarious.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    A long since retired race caller from Tassie gave a well beaten into last place fav., one that it seemed everyone on course including himself must have backed, an absolutely HUGE spray as it crossed the line at Mowbray. "...and someone get (Harry's Boy) a saucer of milk...'cause it's a Cat!".

+ Reply to Thread