Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Slow start for 2YO sires

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,

Slow start for 2YO sires

Nevele R Stud must have been relieved when Lis Mara sired his first southern hemisphere 2YO winner in New Zealand last weekend. They would have been looking for a more explosive start to his siring career than that.
    It is a similar story for Alabar's Jereme's Jet who also has only one downunder 2YO winner to date, that being Swift Exit at Goulburn on Mar 5.
    By contrast, the other high profile first season sire, Four Starzzz Shark, has sired 6 Australian winners of 8 races and $48k in stakes.
    There is still a lot of water to flow under the bridge but it will be interesting to see what the rest of the season holds for these stallions. Results in the next few months are critical for their careers.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Four Starzzz Shark is doing what I've always expected him to do.
    Mark Rolfe's got a filly in one of the Tiara Heats tomorrow at Bathurst and she should prove hard to beat from (1). G Mac's driving another filly from a Seahawk Hanover mare for trainer/breeder Joe Camilleri and it is pretty smart too, though it made a big break on debut. I've seen it go around out at Riverstone. It is much better than that. That being said, if any of them beat Bernie's FSS filly, Frith...I'll stand stuffed.
    If they have a fault they can get a little bit hot at times although that's why they get up & go early too I think.
    We currently have a yearling filly by him that has broken is the best of anything we've ever had. Moves just great, really well balanced. She's from a Classic Garry mare from a Golden Greek mare. Has not put a foot wrong so far but with her sire, damsire & 2nd damsire, I don't think she would take much stirring up. It'll be interesting to see how she pans out.
    Last edited by Triple V; 03-21-2012 at 11:29 PM. Reason: added a bit about Frith. Forgot she was in.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    New Zealand 2yo siring record's are also not a good gauge on how sire's will do overall as it appears not many race as 2yo's over thereby any sire. I think his horse's ( Lis Mara ) will be better as 3-4 yo's myself. In saying that Four Starzzz Shark also has 141 foals against 30 out here and the strs to foals is about the same % . My way of thinking is higher number's of foals make for a greater no of winner's this early in the 2yo season. Also 4 of FSS winners are from Abercrombie line b/mare sire's. Maybe down the track Lis Mara over a FSS filly might be something to look at or vice versa .
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Rolfey home in style with Shootforthestarzz. Nice one.

Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hando View Post
    New Zealand 2yo siring record's are also not a good gauge on how sire's will do overall as it appears not many race as 2yo's over thereby any sire. I think his horse's ( Lis Mara ) will be better as 3-4 yo's myself. In saying that Four Starzzz Shark also has 141 foals against 30 out here and the strs to foals is about the same % . My way of thinking is higher number's of foals make for a greater no of winner's this early in the 2yo season. Also 4 of FSS winners are from Abercrombie line b/mare sire's. Maybe down the track Lis Mara over a FSS filly might be something to look at or vice versa .
    [VVV] I think Lis Mara being a Cambest is making life tough for him.
    Overall, like most of his sire's stock, they seem to me like they'll need time.
    I reckon your 3yo-4yo+ suggestion is right on the money Greg.

Four Starzzz Shark is an interesting case as far as what the 'paper' suggests and what reality delivers.
    Being a Cam's Card Shark from an On The Road Again mare wouldn't initially jump out to many and suggest juvenile sire power. The fact that he wasn't a great 2yo himself, having raced 5 times at 2yrs for a couple of 2nds and 15k or so earned...that doesn't suggest it either....but it goes to show how wrong conventional wisdom can be. Before the day's out I expect him to have landed at least 2 if not 3 of the 2yo fillies Heats at Bathurst & that despite him having only 4 or 5 starters.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Well he got 2 along with 1 each Mach 3, Pocket watch, Life Sign ,River Khan and Modern Art.and Placegetter's 2nds and 3rd's spread around as well Dingo 1,Art Major 3,Bettors 2 Blissful 1,Ponder1 ,Million to one 1, Jeremes Jet 1, Grin 1 ,Presidential Ball 1, Armbro Op 1 and Camelot Hall (who i think will make a sire )1 as well. So everything spread around to all sire line's.
    Gee the 2 winner's by FSS were impressive today get a good draw and we should have a top final.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Camelot Hall was a very smart 2yo himself, won the Metro Pace. Jason Carkeet (as trainer) landed a Camelot Hall colt home on Tuesday at Albion Park. Ricky Thurlow in the bike. Dam's by Arturo & a half sister to Exotic Earl.

+ Reply to Thread