+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Greenwald 1971

Junior Member Foal Ray White will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ray White

Greenwald

Greenwald -what a magnificent horse.
    Sydney driver Ron Pracey was in the gig for the Melbourne derby in 1969 where he finished last after moving up 4 wide and then breaking.
    He later came to Menangle early September 1970 and a surprise change of drivers saw Les Chant in the gig. Later that month Pracey was reunited and he won a Free-For_all in race record time (at least 4 of the runners fell). I went down to the stabling area to see this great horse ( as I also knew Pracey). It was there that I saw the showmanship of Jack McGrath. The horse was untethered and stripped of his gear. First the hopples were unbuckled and dropped to the ground then the rest of the gear was taken off. Finally a head collar was put on. The horse bowed and then walked off and out of his hopples
    Last edited by Ray White; 05-07-2016 at 09:41 PM. Reason: mistaken trainer

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Great story, I got the wrong Ron when I said Ron McCall; it was Ron Pracey and I recall seeing the winning photo on the wall at Jack's around 1975. And Jack and his trick-pony - what a hoot!

The old Narracoorte track in SA was only 2 1/2 furlongs, like Wayville, but Greenwald must handled both tracks OK. One night the horses were on the track and, the story goes, when the chief steward spotted Greenwald was missing a hopple carrier strap. It was substituted by a piece of hay band! The steward ordered it removed and sent the clerk of course to get a proper hopple carrier.

The clerk of course returned, sans carrier strap! The race was delayed for several more minutes while a desperate search went on for the piece of hay band tossed over the fence a few minutes earlier!

+ Reply to Thread