Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Horses that perform better with a different driver

Member Filly tyson will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Tyson Jones
    Horses
    Scrap Art, Shezarascal, Franco Torro

Horses that perform better with a different driver

I'm a big believer that some horses perform much better with a certain driver, rather than the regular stable driver.

I know it comes down to talent and Darren Hancock has a lot of it, but i believe Vegas Bound would win a lot more and run faster times with a driver that the horse responds to. He has amazing speed and with the times being run around Menangle week in week out, he can provide some excitement.

I don't know if it's the class he races against each week that makes him seem not so impressive any more but i expected a lot more from this horse. I remember watching him whip around them at Harold Park one friday night and added him straight to my black book.

But when you look back at his races. His glimpse of stardom was all under Darren. So maybe im just seing things differently

Anyone else noticed this ?

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Totally agree with your point about some horses responding better to certain drivers Tyson, there is no doubt in my mind that is true of some horses and then there are some others you could just about put a bag of chaff in the bike and they'll go just the same.
    I'm not so sure about the point your making with Vegas Bound---he is definately NOT a bag of chaff type horse, but I think ( from observations only) he might not be the easiest horse to train. Having said that it appears he may have found the "class barrier" as well to a certain degree.
    He had a beautiful trip last night.

Cheers,
    Dan

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    We had one that would have a real go for one driver but wouldn't try as hard for another. Seems to happen more with mares for some reason.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    I'll bet some horses WISHED they had different drivers. Can remember Doug Lee back in the mid 80's in the Central West NSW had a little horse which just escapes me at present. Doug would have the stick on the horse the whole trip, would sit him in the death nine times out of ten and ran him three times a week. Tough as nails little pacer who just kept on giving. I'll bet he wished he had been foaled in the new era of whip rules.

Maybe Greg Hando might be able to help me out here. Always remember you wouldn't die wondering what if, when Doug was in the bike.

Senior Member 4YO Thevoiceofreason has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Bill Williams
    Occupation
    Manager
    Vegas Bound has fibrillated on at least two occasions in his career and it clearly has some impact on the manner in which he is now driven.

Atrial fibrillation (AF or A-fib) is the most common cardiac arrhythmia (irregular heart beat).

Senior Member Horse Of The Year The Form Student will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Rocket Glenfern, Tudor Royal, Manaroa,
    Quote Originally Posted by broncobrad View Post
    I'll bet some horses WISHED they had different drivers. Can remember Doug Lee back in the mid 80's in the Central West NSW had a little horse which just escapes me at present. Doug would have the stick on the horse the whole trip, would sit him in the death nine times out of ten and ran him three times a week. Tough as nails little pacer who just kept on giving. I'll bet he wished he had been foaled in the new era of whip rules.

Maybe Greg Hando might be able to help me out here. Always remember you wouldn't die wondering what if, when Doug was in the bike.
    I remember one horse he drove called Miss Hibelle, I think the trainer was A J Lewis?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Ealier, I mistakenly stated Doug Lee was the driver of a particular horse. WRONG.

It was a bloke called Ron Wiegold from Eugowra way and the horse was called Artys Boy. He often did race two or three times a week.

Have a look at his records...he would regularly race at Harold Park and the next day got carted out to Peak Hill, Narrabri, Parkes or Cowra for another crack at some prizemoney. A tough little horse that REALLY DID give his all.

Interesting to see it was none other than John McCarthy himself that got the last win out of him up at Toowoomba in 1998.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    The float was his stable and spelling paddock
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Quote Originally Posted by The Form Student View Post
    I remember one horse he drove called Miss Hibelle, I think the trainer was A J Lewis?
    She won a race at Harold Park one night the only horse in the race i think.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Harvey bred one a while back that Neil Brady trained & drove, went really wel too...and I reckon it spelled during the journeys up and down the Hume Highway.

+ Reply to Thread