Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Squaregaiters Banished from the Inter Dominions

Member Filly eljay will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Lloyd Jury
    Occupation
    Retired

Squaregaiters Banished from the Inter Dominions

Here's a good topic to get this forum underway. The (we are always right and know best) Aussies have decreed that the Trotters Inerdominions are to be scrapped. What do you guys think.
    As a former owner and breeder of these majestic animals, my opinion perhaps is biassed but to me the decision simply STINKS and I hope Mr O'Brien and the board let us know exactly where they sit on this matter.

Junior Member Weanling Bruce Hadley will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Comes down to individuals preference I guess Lloyd. I am not a square gaiter fan, and dont find the decision that bad

Real Name
    Lloyd Jury
    Occupation
    Retired
    You don't have to be a "fan" Bruce (they quite often blow out hot air) but I'm sure you do appreciate the deeds of Lyall Creek, Pride of Petite, etc. I suppose you are a "fan" of mobile miles too Bruce for the pacers and look forward with baited breath to when the Breeders succeed in running the NZ and Auckland Cups as mobile miles.
    Incidentally, I understand New Zealand and Victoria opposed the axing of the trotters interdoms, but for once brawn beat brains!!

Super Moderator Colt Neil will become famous soon enough Neil's Avatar
    Real Name
    Neil Bennett
    Occupation
    Engineer
    after being beaten by a nose in one before I am gutted that we may never get the chance to get one back

Junior Member Weanling Pinot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Occupation
    Process Controller,NZAS
    it's a crying shame really,nothing better than a top trotter in full flight and this is what the Interdoms were about. It really is so short sighted with the advent of European stallions down here,how long before we have buyers from Europe here buying trotters ??

Real Name
    Unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by eljay View Post
    You don't have to be a "fan" Bruce (they quite often blow out hot air) but I'm sure you do appreciate the deeds of Lyall Creek, Pride of Petite, etc. I suppose you are a "fan" of mobile miles too Bruce for the pacers and look forward with baited breath to when the Breeders succeed in running the NZ and Auckland Cups as mobile miles.
    Incidentally, I understand New Zealand and Victoria opposed the axing of the trotters interdoms, but for once brawn beat brains!!
    In fact Lloyd, whilst mobile miles dont excite me all the time, mobile racing is where its at. NZ Cup is a rare exception that is an unbelievable contest. but why oh why should we be subjected to maidens and c1's trying to go away in an orderly manner.

nat
    Its no point crying over spilt milk, now its time for the interested parties to get togeather and develope a new series maybe modeled on Inter/Redwood/Hambo/Elitlop its time to think outside the box and work in with the Northem Hemisphere and let try and atract the best on offer world wide.

Real Name
    Lloyd Jury
    Occupation
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Hadley View Post
    In fact Lloyd, whilst mobile miles dont excite me all the time, mobile racing is where its at. NZ Cup is a rare exception that is an unbelievable contest. but why oh why should we be subjected to maidens and c1's trying to go away in an orderly manner.
    Stands - pacers, I agree with you Bruce but really I can't recall the last time I saw a C0 or C1 stand in the north. Maiden trotters do need that education and with the ever diminishing numbers stands will be required for handicapping in order get enough starters to make a field. Next time you see a mobile maiden trot take a close look - you will be surprised to see how many actually do break over the journey. But it's the old story, because the race is on you don't have to bet on it. I don't bet on mobile paces where theres a stinking hot favourite drawn one or two - and having owned squaregaiters I never bet on them anyway - they can be real heartbreakers but they can be most rewarding when they perform.
    I really think a lot of the problem (not all but a lot) with the manners of maiden trotters can be attributable to the trainers not putting in the time educating them and this of course stems from "todays climate" where a return from the horse is required as soon as possible to minimise the costs and allow the trainers/drivers get stakes percentages sooner rather than later.

Real Name
    Unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by eljay View Post
    Stands - pacers, I agree with you Bruce but really I can't recall the last time I saw a C0 or C1 stand in the north. Maiden trotters do need that education and with the ever diminishing numbers stands will be required for handicapping in order get enough starters to make a field. Next time you see a mobile maiden trot take a close look - you will be surprised to see how many actually do break over the journey. But it's the old story, because the race is on you don't have to bet on it. I don't bet on mobile paces where theres a stinking hot favourite drawn one or two - and having owned squaregaiters I never bet on them anyway - they can be real heartbreakers but they can be most rewarding when they perform.
    I really think a lot of the problem (not all but a lot) with the manners of maiden trotters can be attributable to the trainers not putting in the time educating them and this of course stems from "todays climate" where a return from the horse is required as soon as possible to minimise the costs and allow the trainers/drivers get stakes percentages sooner rather than later.
    That is true Lloyd. With most owners getting a bill for $1800 - $2000 in the North, it doesnt take long to realise they need a quick return. By the time a horse is 3yo, it has probably had more than $20,000 spent on training and agistment...not even counting the purchase price. Makes claimers look pretty cheap!!! Would cost more than most of their asking price just to jog them up

Member Filly Allan will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Allan Schott

Money The Issue?

Let me preface this by saying I am a North American who is not very familiar with the racing action in Australia and New Zealand.

How was the wagering on the trotting Inter-Dominions when compared to the pacing side? Could it be the wagering is not sufficient to merit the expense of holding the Trotting Inter-Dom?
    Interested in Harness Racing? Read View From the Racetrack Grandstand

+ Reply to Thread