Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: There's a 3x3 you don't see every day- 2yo filly in VIC

Flashing Red
    Maybe that's what our mare got. There was some suspiciously colic-y like clods of turf and dirt near her, like maybe she had thrashed about. She was honestly fine the night before, we think either colic or a snake bite? Whatever it was it must have done it relatively quick for her to go from fine to dead in 10-12 hours.

triplev123
    My brother did some investigating in the paddock & maybe our girl might have been eating some loose dirt/soil. She's a bit of a chewer & digger and a great one for ripping up clumps of grass roots and all and then eating it so that would fit the profile.
    I never gave it much thought up until now but given her habits then it might have been like a Sand Colic type thing like I believe they can get in SA & WA? I think I'll go and check the manure piles tomorrow and see what's there. When I saw her again this afternoon she was back to her old irrascible self & she had some paraffin on her backside and hocks so clearly it has been and gone too....and everywhere I expect.
    Years and years ago the late Charlie Parsons told me NEVER under any circumstances to let a horse with suspected Colic get down on the ground.
    He reckoned if they rolled over on their backs or got down and thrashed about that their insides were sure to get twisted & then they'd be gone for all money. He also said if they had gotten down then drag them back to their feet and then make them walk. Of course that all depended on a person being fortunate enough to be right there right when it was all happening.

Flashing Red
    See I have always been told, and have had luck with personally, letting them have one or two rolls, providing they aren't thrashing about and seriously colicing. Sometimes its all it takes for a colicy horse, just that roll or two seems to settle everything done again. That and a little ace seems to slow everything down. I would never leave a colicy horse by itself personally, but that mare the other night was 100% fine when she was fed at dinnertime.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Colitis X will kill them that quick Twisted bowel no, colic no, snake bite yes all a mystery unless you are there to see what's happening all bad luck just the same.
    Mum once had a cow that got crook and died Granddad told mum once if you have livestock you got to expect losses and mum replied yeah but not the whole mob in one hit. She only owned 1 cow True Story
    Just keep battling along Flashing and do your best with what you've got left no good looking back and wondering it doesn't help

Senior Member 2YO Love Of Courage will become famous soon enough Love Of Courage's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue Smith
    Hello Flashing Red.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Keep your chin up !

Regards,

Sue

+ Reply to Thread