Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Renshaw Cup

Senior Member 2YO Harold Parker is an unknown quantity at this point
    Real Name
    Robert Parker

The Renshaw Cup

Thought about heading down the M4 on Thursday night. Driving from Paddo to Penrith of an evening in that traffic ? well I would have, only they've turned something a little unique in NSW, a 50K Standing Start to just another Carnival Of Cups race.

Good field yeah but when did they screw the Renshaw Cup ?

My guess, they got the calculator out and a Standing Start has a $1000 less turnover on average than a Mobile. Forget tradition

Senior Member Horse Of The Year The Form Student will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Rocket Glenfern, Tudor Royal, Manaroa,
    I can remember old Challenge Proof trained by Lou Cini, ploughing through the mud off a backmark to win the Renshaw Cup!........what an effort!
    Last edited by The Form Student; 04-03-2012 at 10:57 PM.

Junior Member Weanling jimmy777 will become famous soon enough jimmy777's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jim Boyd
    I too liked the standing starts for the Renshaw Cup but what a great race meeting it's going to be, 2 races at $11,300, 6 races at $12,000 and the Renshaw Cup $50,000. Well done Penrith and NSW Harness Racing committees.

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Agree, the back-up program has good fields also......Vic seems to have a lot more stands than NSW...........for the Renshaw Cup, it was something you took in your stride, it does not affect the quality of horses........you just need to give them plenty of barrier jumps out!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Parker View Post
    Thought about heading down the M4 on Thursday night. Driving from Paddo to Penrith of an evening in that traffic ? well I would have, only they've turned something a little unique in NSW, a 50K Standing Start to just another Carnival Of Cups race.

Good field yeah but when did they screw the Renshaw Cup ?

My guess, they got the calculator out and a Standing Start has a $1000 less turnover on average than a Mobile. Forget tradition
    I think this is the 2nd year as a mobile event.

I just hope we can win it

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Quote Originally Posted by The Form Student View Post
    I can remember old Challenge Proof trained by Lou Cini, ploughing through the mud off a backmark to win the Renshaw Cup!........what an effort!
    Are you sure it was Lou Cini. I remember Challenge Proof being trained by Vic Frost for most of his career.

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteblood View Post
    Are you sure it was Lou Cini. I remember Challenge Proof being trained by Vic Frost for most of his career.
    Yes, he was trained by Vic for most of his career, but I think he had some injury problems and Greg Brodie moved him to Lou, who also trained his other good horse Karamea Bubble?.........I am not sure if Greg owned the other good horse Karamea Duplicity, also trained by Lou. I am not sure at all about what I have said, but can remember Lou coming into betting ring after Challenge proof won the Renshaw Cup off 20 metres? But don't quote me on that. I wish we had a database of all the old trotting records so that we could access them! Hopefully, Penrith will print all the past winners in the racebook and someone will let us know? I'm not sure, but I suppose it was about 1980?

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    I found a chronicle of Renshaw Cup winners on the HRA website and found that Challenge Proof won the race twice

1977 (W McLelland) fr $5500 - (L Cini would have been the trainer)
    1978 (V Frost) 10m $5500

Junior Member Foal Joy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Marie Ross
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    Lady Joy
    "I just hope we can win it"
    So do I. Oh, sorry Mr Kaplan I refer to The Captain of course.

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteblood View Post
    I found a chronicle of Renshaw Cup winners on the HRA website and found that Challenge Proof won the race twice

1977 (W McLelland) fr $5500 - (L Cini would have been the trainer)
    1978 (V Frost) 10m $5500
    Thanks, Trev, after sleeping on it, Karamea Duplicity was owned by Noel Simpson.........Challenge Proof therefore, won the cup when he was a 6 and 7 Y/O, he was a tough "old bugger".......there goes my thoughts of him coming off 20 metres........I wonder whatever happened to Wayne Mclelland, Lou also had another good driver that used to drive for him for a lot of years, Rob Martin .........maybe "Where are they Now"? can help tell us what they are up to? I will go and have a look at the HRA website!

+ Reply to Thread