Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: At what age do you wean your foals??

Hybrid View

Senior Member Colt LisaB25 will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Lisa Bendotti
    Horses
    Hillview Aussie, Choccy Mac

At what age do you wean your foals??

Just curious..
    I've heard some do it as young as four or five months and others eight..
    When do you wean yours and are there any advantages of doing it younger or older?

We usually wean around may..

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Pepper Tree Farm foals are being weaned this month.
    I think the important thing is not so much when you wean them but how well you feed them after theyt have been weaned.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    G'day Lisa,

We weaned our 2 colts in the last week of March, 2012 and they were foaled September 18th and 28th, 2011. That's about 6 months.

Senior Member Colt LisaB25 will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Lisa Bendotti
    Horses
    Hillview Aussie, Choccy Mac
    Thanks guys,
    Ours are late sep/oct born.
    I think we wait that bit longer until we've had decent rain in april/may and the new pasture is well and truely on its way giving the weanling good fresh pick aswell as good hay and hard feed if needed. Also depends on how well the mares are doing too

Member Yearling Shannon will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Shannon Lee
    if you can feed the foals while still on mares in the paddock and they seem to handle being weaned alot easier i reckon. I'm no expert but i had to wean a major in art colt early cost he was taking to much outa the mare they were hard fed with plenty of grass on tap too. I guess its a indivdual thing when to wean

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    It sounds more than a bit Tree Hugger I know but like to watch how they behave in relation to their dams, I reckon nature's a good indicator.
    Are they (the foals) happy to wander off on their own for some distance and to stay away for lengthy periods or otherwise?
    Of the two we weaned this time around, one was already pretty self reliant even from very early on and he only came back to his mother for a drink when it suited him. More often that not she used to go looking for him, not the other way around. The other was a bit more of a mumma's boy, his dam never let him get too far away and not all that surprisingly he sulked and went off his feed for a week or two after he was weaned.

mark diegutis
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    It sounds more than a bit Tree Hugger I know but like to watch how they behave in relation to their dams, I reckon nature's a good indicator.
    Are they (the foals) happy to wander off on their own for some distance and to stay away for lengthy periods or otherwise?
    Of the two we weaned this time around, one was already pretty self reliant even from very early on and he only came back to his mother for a drink when it suited him. More often that not she used to go looking for him, not the other way around. The other was a bit more of a mumma's boy, his dam never let him get too far away and not all that surprisingly he sulked and went off his feed for a week or two after he was weaned.

Our kids tend to hang with the one mare that will have them & only go back to their own mums for drinks & feed time (twice a week , we have plenty of grass) . Interesting to see two of the mares way way away from their kids & they don't care . The other mare looks after the 3 all day . We won't wean till after winter , all filly's , the last one born Dec & her mums nif so don't feel the need too . Only put 1 back in foal & will keep our eye on her condition but she looks amazing presently.

+ Reply to Thread