Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Apgold Videos

Member Filly BenScadden will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ben Scadden
    Hey Mango,
    I do prefer the NZ videos a touch ... but I agree with triplev that they're only giving a very brief first impression of a yearling. They provide an opportunity to get the 'feel' of a horse ... it's general type, like heavy, athletic, etc ... I must admit I might end up with a half-dozen I particularly like from the videos ... but they often don't match those expectations when I see them in the flesh.

I don't think you could gain any true assessment of a horse from a video. Ideally you need to see them in their natural environment and watch them move, then have another check in the lead-up to the sales. And then you'll still need a huge dose of good luck to find one that can run

triplev123
    G'day Mango,

I should have added to the above....
    I'm in two minds about the Videos. I like them from the point of view that it's very enjoyable to look through them all however at the same time my gut feeling is that quite a lot of horses will get themselves red penned because of, for want of a better term... a poor screen test...while at the same time very few horses will get themselves included due to the camera loving them. Like everyone else we had the opportunity to get all of our yearlings done but declined it because in terms of their sale preparation we felt the timing wasn't right to record in the first week of January yearlings that were lined up to go to under the hammer on the 27th of February. Others might see it differently but in the life of a yearling sometimes 6-7-8-9 weeks can be a long time. I was only talking to a friend of mine two days ago about this. She preps heaps of yearlings every year and remarked on how much she felt her draft had come on... even in the short space of time between the photos being taken and the recordings having been made...and now.

buster
    thoughts on best prepared?
    1. dalton

thought brooklyns looked very ordinary, all very fat with little muscle

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Triplev123
    I was speaking with the part owner of the one i've got going through the sale's and when i asked him how he was going he said he is a racey type which he has always been eats everthing but not bulking up. He also commented that in the last 2wks since the video was done he has shot up.

Hi Buster
    I watched all of the premium sale video's and then went out to success stud and inspected there sale draft and there yearlings look heaps better now then when the video was taken it's amazing what 2wks can do. By the way i'm not saying they looked bad on the video. In reference to Brooklyn Lodge it won't hurt them to be carrying a little extra weight as they have a 10hr truck ride down to the sale's which will take a little weight of them, where as Annie Dalton doesn't have to travel to far.
    Last edited by mango; 01-21-2011 at 03:17 PM.

buster
    the bettors delight out of queen xena did look good though, so he could be the standout colt if he has progressed as expected

they just seem to look like big foals though when they are that fat

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    The idea of the video & picture is to help sell the horse nothing more. If it is no help then? I do not know.

Real Name
    Ben Scadden
    I do think a video can help ... We've had a few people ask about our colt after watching the video of him. That can't be a bad thing. It's really just an advertisement for your horse ... not a definitive method of guaranteeing a sale.

I doubt anyone would buy a yearling because they liked the look of it on a video ... but it may pique their interest. I can't think of too many negatives from a sellers' - or buyers' - perspective.

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Hi Ben,
    Its really good to hear your thoughts on this and I appreciate that you do not hide behind an alias.

Cheers

Real Name
    Ben Scadden
    Hey Justdoit,

Well, I guess that's the point of these forums ... to express opinions. And I'd reckon most of us love harness racing, so we all have something in common.

It's interesting to hear everyone's opinions - and it's refreshing they're not all the same.

+ Reply to Thread