Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: This is long overdue.

Senior Member Colt Mark Croatto will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mark croatto
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rainmaker View Post
    Some good points in that post. However I think HRNSW might have been abit quick off the mark to raise the trainers % until they have told all industry participants what they plan to do with all the extra income after the race fields legislation was validated.

HRNSW are apparently doing some 'road shows' around different venues across the state to discuss the new windfall and how to spend it. In comparison, within 2 days of the High Court decision Racing NSW issued a release that all Country NSW race meetings would have a minimum purse of 10k per race, midweek City 30k per race etc. It seems as though HRNSW wants to raise the thought of some other ideas but priority number one should be prizemoney.

90% of horses out there are useless and make no return let alone profit, there is no doubt about that. And with a recent drivers pay increase funded by the owner, now trainers percentage increase, poor yearling sale numbers and owners leaving the sport in NSW due to the widespread corruption which surfaced last year, I just hope HRNSW come through with the goods for the owners. Less owners = less trainers = less drivers.
    G'day Eric

In fairness, HRNSW announced an immediate increase for all the $4500 races of $500. The bulk of career front racing presently is Tier 2, the $4500, so increasing them to $5000 was a fair and appropriate result. There is more to come in the new financial year

Regards

Mark Croatto

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    [
    QUOTE=The Rainmaker;20246]Yes but where and what are the stakes increases?

It should be priority number one, just like Racing NSW made it 2 days after the announcement of the race fields legislation. But according to this:

Following on from the Race Fields Legislation High Court decision on 30 March 2012 the Board can now plan for the future with a far greater assurance of annual income streams, knowing that what has been quarantined
    from previous Race Fields payments can be used to fund initiatives. In order to best communicate what the high court decision means to harness racing stakeholders, representatives from the Board and relative Executive Staff will be travelling to each Region as per the below timetable to discuss the issues listed:

Metropolitan Region Tabcorp Park Menangle Friday, 27 April @ 7:00pm
    Hunter/North West Region Newcastle Paceway Monday, 30 April @ 7:00pm
    Western Districts Bathurst Showground Tuesday, 1 May @ 7:00pm
    South West & Riverina Wagga Showground Wednesday, 2 May @ 7:00pm

Funding Model

TAB Distribution and Race Fields

Training Centres & Tracks
    Racecourse Development Fund/National Party Election Promise

Plant & Equipment Purchases

Building & Track Works
    Race Dates 2012/13 and beyond

Principles

Aims

Penalty Thresholds
    Race Programs/Handicapping

Industry feedback concerning programming and handicapping
    User Pays Licences

The introduction of a lower flat fee and a per drive/per starter fee for insurance, including the introduction of a state-wide Sulky Fund.
    NSW Breeders Challenge Nominators Bonuses

The introduction of the Bonuses and what it means to nominators.
    General Discussion

It seems like HRNSW have other grand plans with that money.[/QUOTE]
    G'day Eric,

it appears you may be on the money.

I attended the Newcastle version last night, there were some points reported by the board that were not surprising and as usual some that were.

The board members attending took the part of listeners/observers whilst CEO Sam delivered the presentation mostly, with support acts from others including Reid Saunders.

Some interesting aspects of the information session,

1) $10 million to be spent on training facilities adjacent Menangle Park.

2) new tracks at Bathurst and Wagga.

3) 700K extra pa for integrity.

4) 380K for marketing.

5) return to prizemoney levels we had about 12 months ago. ( not including Menangle NSWHRC meetings)

Most people appeared quite shocked about the prizemoney announcement to the point debate was stiffled/ diverted away from the fact $10M of industry money is earmarked for training facilties adjacent the cash strapped? NSWHRC's Menangle operation.

Cheers,
    Dan

Real Name
    mark croatto
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    [

G'day Eric,

it appears you may be on the money.

I attended the Newcastle version last night, there were some points reported by the board that were not surprising and as usual some that were.

The board members attending took the part of listeners/observers whilst CEO Sam delivered the presentation mostly, with support acts from others including Reid Saunders.

Some interesting aspects of the information session,

1) $10 million to be spent on training facilities adjacent Menangle Park.

2) new tracks at Bathurst and Wagga.

3) 700K extra pa for integrity.

4) 380K for marketing.

5) return to prizemoney levels we had about 12 months ago. ( not including Menangle NSWHRC meetings)

Most people appeared quite shocked about the prizemoney announcement to the point debate was stiffled/ diverted away from the fact $10M of industry money is earmarked for training facilties adjacent the cash strapped? NSWHRC's Menangle operation.

Cheers,
    Dan
    Hi Dan

In respect to point 5 what were the actual figures? It's my understanding that $5.5k races go to $6k, $4.5k go to $5k (already delivered) whilst $3k remain as is.

Regards

Mark Croatto

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    G'day Mark,
    no 6 K races as such 5.75K was announced.
    4.5k go back to 5K as we had some time ago.
    3k remain as such.
    reduction in races in some areas/tracks, slight increases at some, overall reduction of races.

Sorry I can't be any more specific than that, I did not take notes... my memory is not infallible but it wont be very far off the mark either.

Cheers,
    dan

Real Name
    mark croatto
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    G'day Mark,
    no 6 K races as such 5.75K was announced.
    4.5k go back to 5K as we had some time ago.
    3k remain as such.
    reduction in races in some areas/tracks, slight increases at some, overall reduction of races.

Sorry I can't be any more specific than that, I did not take notes... my memory is not infallible but it wont be very far off the mark either.

Cheers,
    dan
    Thanks Dan

Hmmmm, that's a disappointed. Personally I think we should be racing for at least $7k, $5750 is not realistic.

Regards

Mark

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Dan

If they are to spend $10 million on training facilities at Menangle why did they buy land adjacent to the Goulburn track for training facilities, i mean they are only 1.5hrs apart so it seem's a waste of industries money to me and how many trainer's do they expect to relocate to n.s.w to warrant all this money being spent. Also i read that prizemoney will return to what we had 12 months ago, that sounds great but on the downside how many clubs in the country have had race meeting's reduced and funding slashed. It would be interesting to see what the percentage of the prizemoney increase's are in the country compared to Menangle prizemoney increase's and to also work out how much money they are saving by reducing race meeting's and cutting some funding to clubs.

Senior Member 4YO Thevoiceofreason has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Bill Williams
    Occupation
    Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by mango View Post
    Hi Dan

If they are to spend $10 million on training facilities at Menangle why did they buy land adjacent to the Goulburn track for training facilities, i mean they are only 1.5hrs apart so it seem's a waste of industries money to me and how many trainer's do they expect to relocate to n.s.w to warrant all this money being spent. Also i read that prizemoney will return to what we had 12 months ago, that sounds great but on the downside how many clubs in the country have had race meeting's reduced and funding slashed. It would be interesting to see what the percentage of the prizemoney increase's are in the country compared to Menangle prizemoney increase's and to also work out how much money they are saving by reducing race meeting's and cutting some funding to clubs.
    With the greatest of respect the Menangle prize money increases will be much higher due in part to the funding available through the sale of Harold Park which was an asset of the NSW Harness Racing Club not HRNSW.

The interesting funding models will be city clubs other than NSW Harness racing club and if the suggested changes to Bankstown meetings is a guide there seems to be a line being drawn in the sand.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    One thing fellas, although the announcement as such is recent the proposed construction of Training/Permanent On-Track Stabling at Menangle is no Johnny-come-lately advent.
    It has been in train for some time, having initially been earkmarked back when the Industry bodies were still in 'split mode' (wasn't that a spectacular success, well done OLGR, now renamed ILGA...alas a brick by any other name remains a brick only now the Pollies will have a measure of plausible deniability)
    At the time Max Pool was in the chair at HRNSW because when I first heard about the permanent stabling construction I rang him to put my name down as I wanted to take a crack at training one for myself, and still do as a matter of fact. On that score, not sure where they're up to in that regard.
    I hope that the spirit in which that stabling was meant...i.e. to enable a number of smaller trainers to train on course as opposed to having to buy & develop their own off course facilities...that as opposed to big Local stables as well as Interstate & NZ satellite stables coming in & taking up most if not all of the space.
    Personally, I'd like to see similar construction occur at major regional tracks all over NSW.
    I'm pretty sure that is the Board's plan.

Member Yearling hillbillydeluxe will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Michael Freeman
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    now-Generals Daughter & Passaic River
    Personally I was shocked to see increases in trainers % WHY?
    from an owner who is trying to set up a country stable in NSW and prepared to employ people in the industry I am amazed that trainers quote $50-60 per day training. I was originally from the Harness Industry and due to the lack of prizemoney ventured over to the gallops where country trainers charge between $35 a day to $60 a day for prizemoney that is at least $9000 per race. reality check.
    Why would you want to discourage someone like me who is prepared to put money into the game when realistically the owner is forgotten about. I have worked in the game so I understand how tough it can be but why keep a horse in work who has 50 starts for no wins? give him to someone for pleasure.
    I am not a fan of kiwi horses being bought to plunder our own breeding industry but why put $10 million into menangle for who would prosper? the already big trainers there. spread it around.

Member Gelding NormanS will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Norman Schwarz
    Occupation
    Franchise Owner
    Horses
    Love This Dragon, Aussie Melody, Love Th
    Back to the original statement of "Long overdue" and the response of looking after owners as well. Just did the quick numbers based on the teir 2 - $4500 per race to $5000 per race.
    Race Value $4500 $5000
    win 67% $3015 $3350
    Trainer 5% $150.75 ----------
    Driver 5% $150.75 ----------
    Trainer 7.5% -------- $251.25
    Driver 5% -------- $167.50

Owner $2713.50 $2931.25

The owner is in $ numbers getting more at this level is it enough to make a difference?

My opinion - the win $'s available to an owner should be enough to create an incentive to not keep a horse that has 50 starts for 0 wins and 0 places. The more win $'s should give the incentive to buy a better horse, thefore creating more competative racing (as the even better horse is going to go after the bigger money again) which should create better punting turnover due to fewer ultra odds on favourites. And (now off topics a touch) we should be back racing. Racing doesn't mean that the best horse wins (and doesn't exclude this either) but the best horse in the race on the day + the best drive in the race + the best training performance + the best tactics should win the race. (I hope this part makes sense).
    And no, i'm not a big fan of the NSW interpretation of the COT declaration rule.
    Last edited by NormanS; 05-04-2012 at 02:45 PM. Reason: spelling

+ Reply to Thread