Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
Back to the original statement of "Long overdue" and the response of looking after owners as well. Just did the quick numbers based on the teir 2 - $4500 per race to $5000 per race.
Race Value $4500 $5000
win 67% $3015 $3350
Trainer 5% $150.75 ----------
Driver 5% $150.75 ----------
Trainer 7.5% -------- $251.25
Driver 5% -------- $167.50

Owner $2713.50 $2931.25

The owner is in $ numbers getting more at this level is it enough to make a difference?

My opinion - the win $'s available to an owner should be enough to create an incentive to not keep a horse that has 50 starts for 0 wins and 0 places. The more win $'s should give the incentive to buy a better horse, thefore creating more competative racing (as the even better horse is going to go after the bigger money again) which should create better punting turnover due to fewer ultra odds on favourites. And (now off topics a touch) we should be back racing. Racing doesn't mean that the best horse wins (and doesn't exclude this either) but the best horse in the race on the day + the best drive in the race + the best training performance + the best tactics should win the race. (I hope this part makes sense).
And no, i'm not a big fan of the NSW interpretation of the COT declaration rule.
All makes good sense, as for the horse with the no form surely we have no full time trainers in the industry that would continue to train such an animal. If all participants don't continue to improve the product we present to the punter then we will have no industry as the betting dollar is our major source of income.