Senior Member Colt Hermione will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jan Reynolds
    Occupation
    Education
    Horses
    Chardanae Mullinalaghta Lad

Just Curious (2)

Listening to a race, commentator says ...."coming down the straight like a wet sail"... I immediately picture boat race and see vesseel handicapped by wet sail and going nowhere fast? The exact opposite when applied to horse race because the horse in question is just running the race of his life and is a sure fired thing about to win. What have I missed? Hope you are all having a suitably reflective Anzac Day.

aussiebreno
    Google is your friend

My boat racing knowledge is very poor but it seems back in the day with under-developed and researched sails that wet sails in a strong wind was advantageous. Despite the boat being weighed down cotton fibres expanded when wet and held the wind better. Just from my googling - could well be wrong but theres a start.

It's always used by a backmarker coming over the top as well. Just wouldn't have the same ring to it with a leader kicking on the turn.

Senior Member 4YO Don Corleone has a spectacular aura about Don Corleone's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Fidow
    Occupation
    Sec Cons
    Sounds pretty good to me breno. There used to be a commentator around this neck of the woods who used that saying in nearly every race. There seemed to be wet sails everywhere - the race turned into a regatta.

+ Reply to Thread