Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: The Flat Earth Society strikes again!

Member Gelding Tangles will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mj mcmillian
    You are absolutely right on the money. As we move further away from the centres of population we divorce ourselves from attracting new patron. Globe Derby Park has waited 30 years for the Suburbs to reach it. What's left, run down infrastructure that if they attracted a crowd the top floor no longer functions. A non existent breeding industry, 2046 mares bred in the early 80's down to 33 by 2012. Country clubs that struggle from one season to the next for finances with less and less assistance from the board. SA TAB sold for 38 million under the Olsen Govt it generated 42 million in yearly profits and the 3 codes in South Australia did not have the foresight to purchase there own racing product back rather they sat back and took a Govt hand out for the sale. Five years of good times then it was gone. Big Hint here use the procedes from the Sale of HP to invest in wealth generation purchase shares in the NSW TAB. Forget about developing courses away from the populous as each time you do the infrastructure will be gutted by the time the Burb's arrive. So the call from all the whiz Kidz will be sell to the developer. My prediction no industry in South Australia with in 15 years probably sooner because of decisions' made in the past and poor marketing of the product. There's always the training track at Gawler and that may well be the principal club in SA and back racing there one day.
    Last edited by Tangles; 05-05-2012 at 09:51 AM.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    One doesn't need to be Einstein to work out where you get you're info Jamie, I was talking to him some time ago and he mentioned how successful the Qld HR scene was integrated as it is into a small number of clubs with a similar reduced number of trainers...SUCCESSFUL????? bit of news Jamie, the answers to harness racing's woes are not copying the disaster in Qld, if you want to choke a business slowly to death... then follow their example! as i've said before..we should learn from old lessons and complement that with fresh thinking. The QLd thing is a bloody disaster, no other way of accurately describing it.

cheers,
    Dan
    [VVV] Just throttle back a piece there if you can Dan.
    Firstly, where I get my information from???? It's called keeping your eyes and ears open. It's not that hard to work out the way the wind is blowing. Further to the above, did I say anywhere there or anywhere previously..ever...that I agreed with it?
    Personally I'd rather see dozens more Trainers & Drivers added to the roster by way of small numbers Trainers being able to take a couple boxes & stable & train their horses on-course at the big venues instead of people having to pony up the big $$$ it takes to set up their own complexes within striking distance of the proposed regional centres.
    Further to that I have very significant concerns that the original spirit/intentions of the proposed on-course stabling will be somehow lost in the wash & I expressed exactly that view in either this or another thread here on this forum. It bothers me that there is not some sort of a waiting list or similar, it bothers me that if there is one then it is not freely available. It just bothers me point blank. Maybe I'm being cynical but I do sincerely think the fix is in on this one. I think the smaller operations will not get a look in...and that's wrong.
    For mine Participants really need to be on their toes to make sure that this DOESN'T happen because I am sure that is the (if only for the sake of expedience perhaps? ) intention of a great many of our Industry decision makers.
    I do think we need to rationalise tracks here in Sydney but with that should not come a similar rationalisation of participants. Somehow there are those in administration who inexplicably think that the two go inextricably hand in hand. I for one do not agree. If the on-course boxes thing goes South and the one and two horse trainers who want in on them instead get shut out in favour of large local and interstate/NZ stables then NSW participants should scream the house down because that is and right from the very get go it never was the intention. No need to shoot the messenger. If you'd rather not be aware of the way they're going to run it and instead scream long and loud when it's all over bar the shouting then be my guest. If otherwise, then put the pressure on the powers that be now and club it to death before it gets wings and flies.
    Last edited by Triple V; 05-05-2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: added a bit

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by 2minuteman View Post
    Do not ascribe to me motives or statements that I have not put forward or made.You are the one who breaks under pressure on the turn and goes off course.Your political opinions may be of great importance to yourself but mean diddly squat to me,and I suspect to others as well.
    To the subject of the thread,I come from an era when Wayville (home track) and Melbourne Showgrounds were the go.Wayville was very central to most of Adelaide's population by public transport,cars were the exception rather than the rule in those days.The racing was tight,exciting and also very frustrating because if you weren't in the first four around the home turn you were r**sh**t.May I digress for a minute,if you think we have some suss races now,how about a horse who won an Interdom getting beaten in a Free for All (long odds on) one week and then comes out the following week and is backed from 7/2 to 4/6 from 60 yds in a fast class handicap and brains them.Crowd goes absolutely berserk and the driver simply doffs his hat to the crowd.Boos and hisses turn to bottles, rubbish and anything at hand being thrown at driver.Stewards enquiry,Ha Ha.
    To the subject.Harness racing in Adelaide goes from Wayville to Globe Derby.(Question,was the land at Globe owned by an interested party?) New track touted as the best thing to happen to the trotting game since Jesus played centre half back for Sturt.Anything sounding familiar.What are the South Australians racing for?,$1500 in some cases and they cannot afford to run an Inter.No forward planning,nothing done in the way of marketing,country clubs gutted,grass roots ignored,game stuffed.Wonder if the catering company is making any money?
    To Vic.The showgrounds always had a crowd and it was helped by the catering company,Denisses I think, running a programme of bringing in works social clubs (remember them) as a great night out.It was great racing and always exciting.I never went to Mooney Valley but have been to Melton,once,never again.If I want filthy cutlery,glassware and a completely uninterested staff I will dine at home.How visitor unfriendly is that place?
    H.P. v Menangle?Loved H.P. but understand the reason for selling.Menangle has been built,committee takes a bow,great opening,committee takes a bow,great track,committee takes a bow,great times,committee takes a bow,s**t h***e racing,committee cares less,non-existent crowds,committee cares less,members get no benefits for membership,committee cares less,marketing is non existent (see last major meeting),committee cares less.I have been involved one way or another for 60 years,I could care less.
    To Penrith v Eastern Creek.This is a typical public servant attitude to "doing something".Take a club that is well placed,well run, well patronised and by almost any set of KPI's gets an A mark.Close that club down and start a brand new one somewhere.No feasability study,no plan,no real reason,no marketing plan.
    Now I may be totally out of order here but I do not see where there is a plan, any plan that encompasses the industry as a whole.
    I offer an apology for rambling a bit here as I can only see three lines at a time and cannot judge continuity,never mind,Collingwood are two goals behind and look like rabble.He,He.
    [VVV] Geeze, dare I say that at one time, Bill Shorten worked for Collingwood?

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    I remember someone in Vic telling me that Melton had plans for a stabling complex, but all interested parties lost interest when told a commercial return was planned.
    That was $300 per horse per month

Senior Member 4YO dizzy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    dot schmidt
    Quote Originally Posted by p plater View Post
    I remember someone in Vic telling me that Melton had plans for a stabling complex, but all interested parties lost interest when told a commercial return was planned.
    That was $300 per horse per month
    That doesn't surprise me p plater. It would actually be quite cheap if you where racing and earning at Melton every week, not so if you wern't though.

I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong Jamie but the way I heard it Menangle intends to let their barns out in stable blocks of twenty. If you only want a couple of stables you'll have to sublet from other trainers.

Senior Member 3YO 2minuteman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ron James
    Occupation
    General Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    [VVV] Geeze, dare I say that at one time, Bill Shorten worked for Collingwood?
    This is apropos of what exactly?

Senior Member 3YO Mitch will become famous soon enough Mitch's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    So is the solution to all of this as simple as the following:

1. HRNSW work with Penrith Club and state government to upgrade some facilities such as tie up stalls and track surface to make it the premier half mile track in NSW. Program in 8-12 metro meetings per year + continue with current schedule of 1 mid week night meeting per week. maybe some of the metro meetings could be on Sunday afternoon to draw in families etc. who wouldn't go on a week night. (medium cost, hopefully supported by govt funding)

2. Demolish Bankstown and find a way to put a 1000m track on the same site with new facilities or sell Bankstown and relocate to some where else in a suitable metro location and build a 1000m track. Give this venue 8-12 metro meetings per year as well and have a consistent mid week night program like Penrith. I would think it makes sense to re-develop Bankstown, given there is an established network of trainers there and it's a reasonably accessible location. (high cost, but could be achieved through various ways if the right people manage it)

3. Continue to develop Menangle as the states leading metropolitan harness racing venue and expand the facilities to develop the venue as an entertainment complex also (whether it be functions or other types of entertainment can be worked out). Make sure Newcastle also receives ongoing support to keep its facilities and track to a high standard. (NSWHRC has plenty so no issue with funding here, not sure of newcastles financial position but wouldn't expect this require huge investment as track is in pretty good shape already)

4. Work closely with the country clubs to develop a really strong country cups program that ties in well with local events in that community (i.e. Tamworth Cup around CMF time etc). This is a great way recruit new participants in regional areas and inject great theatre and awareness into regional areas that have existing harness communities. ( low cost)

5. HRNSW develop a well credentialed marketing team that is responsible for marketing on behalf of all tracks. Each of the tracks contribute to a promotional fund based on the number of feature meetings etc. they have and the scale of the meetings (Menangle would obviously contribute the most and so on from there). With this model you get economic rationalisation and improved expertise in a critical area. Economic rationalisation has to happen, better it happen in support areas rather than to the industry participants themselves. (should actually generate cost savings which can be redistributed back into greater marketing spend)

6. HRA to chair a consultative committee of representatives from each state to develop a feature race calendar that maximises the opportunity for Australian Harness racing to deliver a product that has the best horses racing in the most competitive feature races that draws great crowds and increased wagering revenue. To ensure that we don't have clashing of 2yo and 3yo features races in different states at the same time. (minimal cost)

I make no apology for the simplicity of my solution, it can be that easy if people put aside their personal motivations and focus on the greater good of harness racing to get stuff done. If I have learnt one thing in my life it's that society does a great job of letting complication, duplication and political interruption get in the way of simply good, well executed solutions.

Action drives evolution and evolution is what we need.
    Last edited by Mitch; 05-06-2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: More context provided

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Mitch,
    not sure I agree with all of those points and some are supposedly in place, but it's most definitely the type of thinking we need.

Action drives evolution and evolution is what we need. Love that tag Mitch, I'm certain your post will create plenty of discussion!!!

Senior Member 3YO Mitch will become famous soon enough Mitch's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    Dan,

I don't agree with all of them either but that's point I am trying to make. We are never going to get total agreement but sometimes I think people procrastinate in search of agreement instead of doing stuff to make things happen.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Mitch

I'm not sure if they can sell Bankstown and relocate because i don't think the Bankstown H.R.C own's the land ( i could be wrong) and if they only want one other track in Sydney beside's Menangle i'd be leaning towards your idea of doing what they can to extend Penrith's track and fixing up there facilities.

+ Reply to Thread