Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Worst wireless router ever?

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist

Worst wireless router ever?

Anyone got any ideas on a better/more powerful (?) wireless router than Netgear? Mine drops out time & time again. Drives me nuts.

aussiebreno
    My Telstra ones drops out on average every 2nd night between 6-9PM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Gday Jaimie\Brendan

Had similar experience here with Telstra "3G" wireless internet. Found ad local paper bloke come out and see if can improve signal. No improvement, no fee. Our connection consistently dropping out. Very low signal strength and as a result the wifi stuff wouldn't work at all. Even if put mobile phone right next to modem it couldn't get a signal. We can't switch back to ADSL as somewhere in our line theres a fault and as we not in a built up area Telstra not really interested in fixing. Phone works (noise on line some times) so they don't care.

The bloke above ended up sticking a "Yagi" antenna up on roof. Hasn't dropped out once since. Signal strength now in the very high range and the wifi stuff now works great. Even works outside the house about 30m away from modem. Can get them on ebay if you want to do yourself. We got same bloke to do it as am not the best on ladders and roofs myself. Am in the Molly Meldrum class when it comes to that! Plus he had all this gear to make sure antenna pointed in right direction.

The dropping out (if on "3G") between 6-9pm a 'common' problem apparently. Bloke above said the towers have a capacity that often exceeded around those times. Peak time for people on internet, etc. Once capacity exceeded if not another tower in range then you lose the signal. Ours was mostly useless during those times but now fine once antenna up. Don't buy the ones Telstra sell. Tried that. Made no difference at all.

If on ADSL, mate of mine tried one of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-4GHz-7d...item3375890471

Only cheap but said made big difference. But he in metro area (although shouldn't matter as its only boosting signal in house). Make sure your modem on the list of compatible ones. Lots of different ones around but thats the only one I know someone used successfully. Or search round locally for local techo with a 'no help - no fee' service.

Don't ring Telstra for help Brendan!! Unless you've got 3 hours to spend on the phone for nothing.

Cheers

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    Gday Jaimie\Brendan

Had similar experience here with Telstra "3G" wireless internet. Found ad local paper bloke come out and see if can improve signal. No improvement, no fee. Our connection consistently dropping out. Very low signal strength and as a result the wifi stuff wouldn't work at all. Even if put mobile phone right next to modem it couldn't get a signal. We can't switch back to ADSL as somewhere in our line theres a fault and as we not in a built up area Telstra not really interested in fixing. Phone works (noise on line some times) so they don't care.

The bloke above ended up sticking a "Yagi" antenna up on roof. Hasn't dropped out once since. Signal strength now in the very high range and the wifi stuff now works great. Even works outside the house about 30m away from modem. Can get them on ebay if you want to do yourself. We got same bloke to do it as am not the best on ladders and roofs myself. Am in the Molly Meldrum class when it comes to that! Plus he had all this gear to make sure antenna pointed in right direction.

The dropping out (if on "3G") between 6-9pm a 'common' problem apparently. Bloke above said the towers have a capacity that often exceeded around those times. Peak time for people on internet, etc. Once capacity exceeded if not another tower in range then you lose the signal. Ours was mostly useless during those times but now fine once antenna up. Don't buy the ones Telstra sell. Tried that. Made no difference at all.

If on ADSL, mate of mine tried one of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-4GHz-7d...item3375890471

Only cheap but said made big difference. But he in metro area (although shouldn't matter as its only boosting signal in house). Make sure your modem on the list of compatible ones. Lots of different ones around but thats the only one I know someone used successfully. Or search round locally for local techo with a 'no help - no fee' service.

Don't ring Telstra for help Brendan!! Unless you've got 3 hours to spend on the phone for nothing.

Cheers
    You are a champion Toohard. This stuff made the paper but nobody had any possible solutions. $10 seems nothing to spend for the chance of getting better reception.

Have given up ringing Telstra...first they said it must be issues with out computer, then they sent a new modem thing, and then they sent an antenna. All that mixed in between countless hours on the phone to Telstra. Just learnt to live with my first world problems!

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    The worst time for me seems to be weekdays around 3:30pm-5pm-6pm. I reckon that's pretty much when a swag of school kids get home and jump on their PC's and jam up the system/overload the bandwidth. My wife periodically goes nuts when she's working from home and on-line via her work server and the thing craps itself. Thanks Paul, most appreciated. Hey Breno, the excuses you get served up from Telstra and from IT guys in general...they must have a book of them...they're endless.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    Hey Breno, the excuses you get served up from Telstra and from IT guys in general...they must have a book of them...they're endless.
    A bit like some owners/trainers on why their horses get beat!

Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Years ago, VIC Breeder/Owner Mark Lawrence wrote a fantastic article for TrackBred that endeavoured to decipher what he called 'Trainer Speak' or something along those lines. I'd love to get a copy of it, it was a riot.
    One part that stuck in my mind went something like this.
    Phone: Ring Ring, Ring Ring
    Trainer: Hello
    Owner: G'day mate, I was just ringing to find out how my horse was going?
    Trainer: Yeh mate, she's a good goin' filly.
    Owner: Great, that sounds good. Where's she up to now?
    Trainer: She's doing everything we ask of her.
    Owner: Good, that's really good. So you're happy with her then?
    Trainer: Yeh, she's a good goin' filly, she's doing everything we ask of her.
    Owner: Ok, thanks for that, I'll give you a call in a couple of weeks then?
    Trainer: Ok mate.
    Owner: Ok, goodbye.
    Trainer: Hangs up phone.
    Trainer's wife: Who was that on the phone?
    Trainer: Don't know.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Gday Brendan

There's 2 common types internet connections I know of. One where the modem sits on your phone line (ADSL) and the other a "3G" connection where the modem is not connected to phone line. That one sort of works like a mobile phone. You can get a satellite connection but talking big bucks then.

Them $9.50 jobs only work on the ADSL connections to my knowledge. All they do is boost the 'wi-fi' signal from the modem. So if you are in the house using a laptop or kindle or some equivalent you can get better reception on them. But lots of variables. Type of walls in house, distance from modem, etc. They can't boost the signal to anything higher than what the modem is getting. So if you got a PC plugged straight into the ADSL modem and the signals crap it won't be any better with one of them $9.50 doovers. My mate lives in town. Got lots double brick walls in house. Said the $9.50 thing worked great.

We can't use the ADSL service here. Somewhere in the line there's a fault and no one gives a rats tossbag about it. So we switched to the 3G one (would hate to be using 1G or 2G!!). Doesn't work thru phone line. Works like a mobile as above. Worked fine for a while but then got worse and worse until one day zippo.

Rang Telstra Help (aka Bombay). Went thru all the crap with them on phone. Over and over again. Still didn't work. Bloke told me needed software upgrade on modem and he'd email it to me!! GR8 !! Gunna be a bit hard to get email when no connection. In end went to closest Telstra Shop. 20 minute drive and they said "You need to make an appointment and come back". I said "How loud you reckon I can yell? You get someone to help me NOW or you're going to find out!".

Bloke eventually arrived and asked where were lived, etc, etc. Said "You're the third person from where you live with that problem". Turned out lightning hit pole bout 1/2 k from our place and blew the clappers out of every ones modems. But not straight away. Took 3-4 days after lightning for modem to die. So bought new modem and it worked fine for while until one day dead as doh-doh again. After that Telstra 'help' USELESS. So got the bloke we found local paper. He put antenna up roof and all 100% good from then on (like a TV antenna) . No new modem or anything. But them antennas more than $9.50. Can get them on ebay for S100-$150 I think as per earlier post. But then you have to install yourself (if you do don't use the cheap cable!). Also have to make sure pointing best way. Best way not necessarily strongest signal. Strongest signal we got from a tower known to drop out 6-9pm due to demand.

Anyway since installed not one drop out. All good. Dunno they got wi-fi boosters for them type modems (3G). If you get decent enough signal on modem shouldn't need one. Mine didn't work when right next to modem before but now (post antenna) works 30m+ away from it.

Bloke we got did on a 'no help-no fee' basis. If you got someone local can do that go for it.

Our local Dick Smith great help too. They don't (or didn't) sell them antennas but pointed us in right direction.

We had another problem with Telstra. They advised us change wifes mobile plan so cost less. We did and on next bill got hit will all sorts fees. Rang up and go somewhere overseas. They said they'd fixed but next bill had even more on it. In end rang "Communications Ombudsman" (unfortunately you have to go thru the crap first before they will talk to you). Lady from Telstra in Australia rang back straight away and sorted in 5 minutes. She from "Ombudsman Complaint Department". I jokingly said "You must be working in the fastest growing area of Telstra". She replied "How did you know that?".....

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    Years ago, VIC Breeder/Owner Mark Lawrence wrote a fantastic article for TrackBred that endeavoured to decipher what he called 'Trainer Speak' or something along those lines. I'd love to get a copy of it, it was a riot.
    One part that stuck in my mind went something like this.
    Phone: Ring Ring, Ring Ring
    Trainer: Hello
    Owner: G'day mate, I was just ringing to find out how my horse was going?
    Trainer: Yeh mate, she's a good goin' filly.
    Owner: Great, that sounds good. Where's she up to now?
    Trainer: She's doing everything we ask of her.
    Owner: Good, that's really good. So you're happy with her then?
    Trainer: Yeh, she's a good goin' filly, she's doing everything we ask of her.
    Owner: Ok, thanks for that, I'll give you a call in a couple of weeks then?
    Trainer: Ok mate.
    Owner: Ok, goodbye.
    Trainer: Hangs up phone.
    Trainer's wife: Who was that on the phone?
    Trainer: Don't know.
    Ha Ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha Ha !!!!!thats why you should get a trainers licence Jamie.....your a lot better with words than that!!!

Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Ha Ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha Ha !!!!!thats why you should get a trainers licence Jamie.....your a lot better with words than that!!!
    [VVV] Over the years we've been handled by one or two.
    We once had a moderate 3yo gelding that was in work with a large stable and only found out he was in to race that day by reading the form guide in the morning paper. On another occasion we made a point of calling ahead and organised to go out on early a Saturday morning to watch a filly I had go through her work. The bloke geared up down in the stabling area, came out & whizzed around for a piece, we sat in the grandstand and watched, I said to my Dad that geeze she's bulked up and grown a piece since I last saw her...only to realise when it got closer that not only was it the wrong horse but it was a colt or a gelding as well. The bloke had no idea which horse was ours. He'd left my filly back at his stables at home. I also know of an owner who continued to get training/agistment bills for his horse for some 3 months after it had died.

+ Reply to Thread