+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steroid use in yearlings

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)

Steroid use in yearlings

A Yearling going to the sales that had for his entire life been lacking condition, had the vet look at him
    and asked for some help. Give him the roids he said and alot of the farms get them to push along the
    yearling for sale time.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    I don't believe in giving them roids, they are young horses and should be able to grow naturally. It would be interesting to get blood results done before a sale just to see if any are in fact getting a leg up. And Justdoit did your vet say if the roids had any long term effects on a horse.

Junior Member Yearling Ziggy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Amanda Branch
    Too much muscle and weight at a young age is detrimental. When assessing your yearlings focus on conformation and Bloodlines. Thats what should determine what is attractive to the buyer. IMO

buster
    give it nitrotain, it doesnt turn them into muscle bound freaks, rather it increases appetite and should be used in conjunction with exercise so that the body adapts to carry the weight

http://www.mitavite.com.au/mitavite0...20YEARLING.pdf

a swab wouldnt show it up either, they are short acting and can be used in the same week as racing

Member Filly BenScadden will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ben Scadden
    I'm not sure if it still happens ... but there used to be random swabs of yearlings to test for steroid use ... it used to be against conditions of sale ...
    It's just so stupid to hormone a yearling ... reduces its chance of racetrack success in my opinion.
    There's much more to lose than gain

buster
    there is minimal risk for short term use of nitrotain, it is not the same as the stuff that will give an massive boost
    without giving too much away it doesnt have any affect on racetrack performance

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Hi Mango,
    I was told, Short term use would have no long term effect.
    About 15 years ago I purchased a thoroughbred yearling at auction, only to have it lose weight and condition. More than anyone would be happy with and it left me thinking
    that I had been HAD.

The chance of getting any yearling buyer to return would be zero, so we withdrew the yearling and sold him privately, steroid free.
    Last edited by justdoit; 01-26-2011 at 05:18 AM.

+ Reply to Thread