Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Smolda simply breathtaking

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach

Smolda simply breathtaking

Take the time to watch the replay of Smolda winning the Emerald Final at Cambridge yesterday, especially the contempt he showed for the opposition from the home corner.
    Breathtaking!!!

http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=98058

Member Gelding Lenem will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Lenny Bagle
    Hard to believe it's the same Solda that was run down by Scandalman at Newcastle !

Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Geez Lenny your a bit harsh. Smolda sat in the death for most of that trip over 2550, they ran about 1:58 and Scandalman sat last off the speed, launched and got the one/one at a crucial stage before finally beating Smolda by about a metre. One of those races where it all just fell into place for one of them while the other did all the work. In the years to come I think you will see just how superior Smolda will be to Scandalman. (And I was on Smolda at Newcastle)
    Last edited by broncobrad; 06-04-2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: grammer and readability

Real Name
    Lenny Bagle
    I think not.On Saturday he didn't just sit parked,he absolutely smashed a Group 1 field,treating them with utter contempt ,broke the heart of a derby winner in the process,in NZ record time and won running away.

Banned Filly little fish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Username deleted
    Call me a cynic but NSW has the toughest drug testing in harness racing in this part of the world doesn't it?

Don't have a go at me for being negative - the results of increased testing speaks for itself. Industry shoots itself in the foot far better than a nobody like me could do.

Having said that.....nobody can argue with Mark Purdon's eye for horseflesh.....bought 4 horses from the APG sale in 2010 and 3 of them turn out to be Mr Nickel, Fly Like An Eagle, and Smolda. Unbelievable.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist

I hope you guys read the paper...

...better than the way in which you read a race.
    That was won and lost at the start when McFarlane held with Ideal Scott and the sectionals once again tell the story. The closer they got to the wire the slower they became. In a 1:52 & a piece NZ Record the closing Q. went by in 29 & a bit. Doesn't that tell you fellas anything at all? That's not winning by running away Lenny, that was winning by the rest of the field dropping off. There is a difference.
    Superb drive by Purdon, he sent Smolda down the road & gave him his chance to be the Jewels Champion. The horse is a high speed stayer & he was driven accordingly. It's very poor form for anyone to suggest there was anything nefarious involved. That was a good old fashioned knock 'em down, drag 'em out front end battle, plain and simple. I'd have loved to have seen JD's horse win it but that aside, a terrific spectacle. Handlebars down, pin the ears back and away we go.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Thanks Jaimie for spelling it out as I too saw it or how it actually was.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Quote Originally Posted by little fish View Post
    Call me a cynic but NSW has the toughest drug testing in harness racing in this part of the world doesn't it?

Don't have a go at me for being negative - the results of increased testing speaks for itself. Industry shoots itself in the foot far better than a nobody like me could do.

Having said that.....nobody can argue with Mark Purdon's eye for horseflesh.....bought 4 horses from the APG sale in 2010 and 3 of them turn out to be Mr Nickel, Fly Like An Eagle, and Smolda. Unbelievable.
    Let me be generous by not reading between the lines of this posting.
    Suffice to say that NSW has a very long way to go to match the drug testing regime of the NZ RIU and especially on big days like this.
    All hands on deck to supervise...
    Pre race blood testing ALL Runners.
    Post race blood testing selected random runners.
    Post race swabs of first 2 home all races.
    That comes after out of competition testing all runners often more than once in the weeks leading up to the event.

Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenem View Post
    I think not.On Saturday he didn't just sit parked,he absolutely smashed a Group 1 field,treating them with utter contempt ,broke the heart of a derby winner in the process,in NZ record time and won running away.
    So surely you agree Lenny, it was a super performance. They weren't slouches that he crushed.

Real Name
    Lenny Bagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    ...better than the way in which you read a race.
    That was won and lost at the start when McFarlane held with Ideal Scott and the sectionals once again tell the story. The closer they got to the wire the slower they became. In a 1:52 & a piece NZ Record the closing Q. went by in 29 & a bit. Doesn't that tell you fellas anything at all? That's not winning by running away Lenny, that was winning by the rest of the field dropping off. There is a difference.
    Superb drive by Purdon, he sent Smolda down the road & gave him his chance to be the Jewels Champion. The horse is a high speed stayer & he was driven accordingly. It's very poor form for anyone to suggest there was anything nefarious involved. That was a good old fashioned knock 'em down, drag 'em out front end battle, plain and simple. I'd have loved to

have seen JD's horse win it but that aside, a terrific spectacle. Handlebars down, pin the ears back and away we go.
    Never for a moment suggested anything untoward.To imply that Smolda's win was because the others were stopping quicker is to not understand the essence of racing.Horses (or athletes for that matter) win because they run faster for longer than their opponents.You win "running away" even if you finish off in 32 so long as your opposition is finishing in 32.5.

+ Reply to Thread