Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hrnsw keeping up to the mark

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach

Hrnsw keeping up to the mark

HRNSW have released new penalty guidelines with 3 classes of drugs found in animals with varying disqualifications pertaining to the class.

Note the therapeutic class infringements have varying levels of disqualifications that get stiffer with each infringement. There are going to be some people jumping up and down about this.

For mine, HRNSW has onced again stepped up to the mark in trying to bring integrity to the sport. Well done.

http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=98108

There would be a few people out there than can be thankful that this is not retrospective in light of the last twelve months of positives.

Junior Member Weanling jimmy777 will become famous soon enough jimmy777's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jim Boyd
    Well done HRNSW. Let's hope consistency in penalties will be the order of the day, no matter who are the offenders and a level playing field will be obtained.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist

Ok Brad, I'm your Huckleberry.

Roll On for Classes 1 & 2...three cheers...however I have a significant problem with the Class 3's.

The penalties there are way too steep for the presence of genuine equine therapeutics & especially so where, as VOR as mentioned before, there is currently no quantitative testing in place.

Instead,the various Labs either can't or they simply do not report the exact level/s of the substance/s found, thus immediately preventing a very legitimate line of defense for the Trainer concerned..as in the substance/s may well have been detected but they were not present in a pharmacologically active amount.

Until such time as there are a series of widely published & understood Thresholds in place for Class 3's then IMO it'll be unfair at that end of the spectrum.
    In fact, to cut to the chase, the vast majority of Positives are the result of therapeutic overages & penalties such as those for the substances that fall into that category are Draconian to say the least.

I go home and give my stiff and sore horse some Phenylbutazone around 11pm Saturday night after I've raced him at Menangle & wonderful stuff that it is, it aids in his post race recovery for around about 12 hours...however it will have stopped working appreciably by around about mid-day-1pm on Sunday & by feed time on Sunday night (say 5pm) it's having absolutely zero physiological/pharmacological/analgesic/ pain killing effect at all.

Nevertheless, if I happened to then drop that horse in to race on Thursday night at Penrith & I get swabbed then, despite the fact that I am some 96hrs+ post administration and despite the fact that the Bute stopped working some 80+ hours prior, there is still a very real chance that I'd score a Bute positive and be outed for 12 months.

That my friends is not Regulatory, that is instead nothing short of ABSOLUTELY $#&%ING ABSURD.
    Last edited by Triple V; 06-05-2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: spelling errors galore!

mark diegutis
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    Roll On for Classes 1 & 2...three cheers...however I have a significant problem with the Class 3's.

The penalties there are way too steep for the presence of genuine equine therapeutics & especially so where, as VOR as mentioned before, there is currently no quantitative testing in place.

Instead,the various Labs either can't or they simply do not report the exact level/s of the substance/s found, thus immediately preventing a very legitimate line of defense for the Trainer concerned..as in the substance/s may well have been detected but they were not present in a pharmacologically active amount.

Until such time as there are a series of widely published & understood Thresholds in place for Class 3's then IMO it'll be unfair at that end of the spectrum.
    In fact, to cut to the chase, the vast majority of Positives are the result of therapeutic overages & penalties such as those for the substances that fall into that category are Draconian to say the least.

I go home and give my stiff and sore horse some Phenylbutazone around 11pm Saturday night after I've raced him at Menangle & wonderful stuff that it is, it aids in his post race recovery for around about 12 hours...however it will have stopped working appreciably by around about mid-day-1pm on Sunday & by feed time on Sunday night (say 5pm) it's having absolutely zero physiological/pharmacological/analgesic/ pain killing effect at all.

Nevertheless, if I happened to then drop that horse in to race on Thursday night at Penrith & I get swabbed then, despite the fact that I am some 96hrs+ post administration and despite the fact that the Bute stopped working some 80+ hours prior, there is still a very real chance that I'd score a Bute positive and be outed for 12 months.

That my friends is not Regulatory, that is instead nothing short of ABSOLUTELY $#&%ING ABSURD.
    Hi Jaimie . The fact is that you know that you'll go for a positive . Don't give the horse bute if you want to race it within 9 days . Absurd NO . This is the most positive step HRNSW has taken . It may save the industry . Absolutely fantastic . If anyone is so stupid as to race their horse when there is a question mark over them returning a positive swab then really what are they doing ? If your that stupid see ya in 2 years

Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Hey Triple...we are not in Tombstone...no need for the dramatics. Obviously the Class 3 infringement is going to upset people as I alluded to. It would seem the regulatory authority has decided on a total prohibition to (any) presence of any of the listed therapeutic substances that are present in animals presented at trials or race meets and have taken a hard line. You make a point and have a far greater understanding of excretion rates of various medications, but if they have set a zero tolerance limit, well old mate that leaves you on the sideline for twelve months to start with, to ponder where you went wrong. No matter how much you administered or how early the horse was medicated.

As you have often said before, the rules are the rules are the rules. At this stage it would seem if you want any change to your way of thinking, you need to get a deputation together, heads of industry, concerned participants etc and start talking to the regulators.

You could well be the Doc Holliday that your supporters are looking to for guidance. From my perspective this is a genuine effort by HRNSW to put in place some decent penaltys for intentionally doping horses, re: Class 1 & 2. In the Class 3 category there will no doubt be honest mistakes and miscalculations made by well intentioned trainers and it will be interesting to see how these overages will be dealt with. Maybe over time it will be fine tuned, who knows.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    This is the most positive step forward in cleaning up our game I have seen in many years, Congratualtions th HRNSW in taking this bold and positive stance against the cheats in our industry , as Mark alluded, if you want to run the gauntlet with "therapeutic" administration timing then expect the fallout!
    Therapeutic drugs should not be used to get a horse to the races more often, they are designed to assist the horse in healing, not allow the "trainer" to take the horse to the races twice a week!!

Great news indeed, every honest trainer and owner in NSW will be stoked with this development and HRNSW has certainly shown strong leadership with these new guidelines, no doubt others will follow.
    In my humble opinion this is wonderfull news, the game has not had better news for a very long time, once again congratulations to HRNSW!!!

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by mark diegutis View Post
    Hi Jaimie . The fact is that you know that you'll go for a positive . Don't give the horse bute if you want to race it within 9 days . Absurd NO . This is the most positive step HRNSW has taken . It may save the industry . Absolutely fantastic . If anyone is so stupid as to race their horse when there is a question mark over them returning a positive swab then really what are they doing ? If your that stupid see ya in 2 years
    [VVV] G'day Mark, I am nothing short of gobsmacked that you think it is in any way reasonable that a Trainer can get picked up for minute/trace amounts of Bute metabolites some 80+ hours AFTER the substance has completely and utterly stopped having any pharmacological effect whatsoever. If that is not absurd then I do not know what is.
    Last edited by Triple V; 06-05-2012 at 11:13 PM. Reason: added a G'day by way of being friendly. :-)

Senior Member 4YO Thevoiceofreason has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Bill Williams
    Occupation
    Manager
    Below is an article published by RacingNSW this year following positive findings to Synephrine in a number of swabs, it was republished by HRNSW at the time.

This week a Victorian gallops trainer had no action taken for two swabs positive to the same substance.

All looks simple right... well not so ....problem is positive swabs are not always simple there were two, yes two Harness Trainers punished in 2010 for positive swabs to this drug, at the time it was not known that it was found in a weed, how fair would it have been had those trainers automatically been given 12 months disqualification or longer.

At least one contributor to this forum was lucky to not be penalised for a positive swab to a prohibited substance when it was found his horse simply had ingested thorn apple yet another common weed that horses sometime get fed because it grows well in lucerne hay.

By all means get rid of the cheats ....I have also attached the report from Victoria ... I wonder which class this drug might have been under in this new penalty structure perhaps it was even longer than 12 months simply because they fed there horses hay...... sorry but it does not seem right to me.

Tuesday, 28 February 2012
    Warning To Trainers Regarding Synephrine
    Trainers are warned to be on the lookout for plants that are known to contain the prohibited substance synephrine which has been detected in raceday samples taken from racehorses in competing in NSW.
    Synephrine is an “adrenergic stimulant” known to affect the metabolism of body fat, and has been demonstrated to cause an increase in blood pressure in human subjects consuming synephrine orally.
    Synephrine is traditionally found in the peel extract of bitter orange (also called Seville orange). Bitter orange is an ingredient in a number of herbal preparations and nutritional supplements which are promoted to aid in weight loss and to suppress appetite in humans.
    These products are available over-the-counter in pharmacies and in health food and dietary supplement stores, as well as from internet-based suppliers.
    However, synephrine has also been detected in certain plants, including the plant known as the common rush (Juncus usitatus), also known as the pin rush or mat rush, as well as in the leaves of the mandarin tree.
    Trainers are advised to ensure their horses do not have access to the common rush or the leaves of citrus trees if they are allowed access to open yards or are grazing on pasture.
    The ingestion of these materials may lead to the detection of the prohibited substance synephrine in a raceday sample.

Flemington trainer John Sadler has avoided a penalty after he pleaded guilty to two charges relating to positive swabs returned by stable runners earlier this year.

The two horses, Deep Cove and Irish Golfer returned positive samples showing traces of Synephrine following wins at Sandown and Werribee in January.

Both horses were disqualified from their first placings.

The Racing Appeals and Disciplinary (RAD) Board sighted "unique circumstances" of the case as to the reason no penalty was issued when they heard the case on Tuesday.

A conviction was recorded against Sadler.

Member Gelding NormanS will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Norman Schwarz
    Occupation
    Franchise Owner
    Horses
    Love This Dragon, Aussie Melody, Love Th
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    [VVV] G'day Mark, I am nothing short of gobsmacked that you think it is in any way reasonable that a Trainer can get picked up for minute/trace amounts of Bute metabolites some 80+ hours AFTER the substance has completely and utterly stopped having any pharmacological effect whatsoever. If that is not absurd then I do not know what is.
    Hi triple. I think that this is approaching two different arguments (maybe even three). 1st argument ( Mark's point ) is that at the moment the rules say if you go positive then you will be outed. Hence the trainer has to manage race engagements. If you use "Phenylbutazone" then don't race within 9 days or what ever the excrection time frame is.
    2nd argument - (yours) The Active "therapeutic" time frame being used instead of excretion time frame. (Which is a good argument) but is reliant on:
    3rd argument - Labs ability to give a quantitative as well as qualitative result. Because there are trainers out there that will push their luck and try to race right on the theraputic time frame either "backing up" or treating for effect.
    Last edited by NormanS; 06-06-2012 at 01:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Hey TVOR

It appears to me that under the new guidelines for a Class 3 infraction, if a substance is detected, there is enough room to move in defence of maladministration by a trainer if there is compelling evidence to establish he unknowingly presented a horse with a prohibited substance present. You raise an obvious defence of contaminated feed, and where in the past, the trainer would be automatically found guilty as charged and a mandatory DQ would apply, that trainer would now be able to fight the charge with a bit more scope. If this will have a detrimental effect by causing a backlog in the appeals process remains to be seen. But it does allow for due process and is clearly stated in the new quidelines "stewards may consider a reduction on compelling evidence that the person did not administer or caused to administer the prohibited substance or did not know or have reason to believe it was administered etc etc. This demonstrates to me that there is more room to move on both sides, but then that word consistency will come into play.

In the John Sadler case it appears the VRC stewards used commonsense, if not their discretionary powers to not take any further action except to DQ the horses. Interesting days ahead for our stewards who in their job descriptions should now have, competent understanding of pharmacology as a requirement.
    Last edited by broncobrad; 06-06-2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: grammar

+ Reply to Thread