Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Glenn Douglas

aussiebreno

Glenn Douglas

As many would know by now Glenn Douglas has been given a 6 month driving suspension and a $5000 fine for an incident at Mildura.

Now I'm not here to discuss the wrongs and rights of the incident or the length/cost of punishments. However, if others want to do this feel free to do so.

What I am here to discuss is the application of the rule and type of punishment by stewards.
    Ok yes Douglas happened to be driving at the time, but the assault rule 231(1) is a general rule.
    http://www.harness.org.au/rules/rules.htm You can see the difference between driving offences (sectional times, whip use etc) and general offences (assault, corruption etc).

So for driving offences you get driving suspensions. For general offences I'd have though you get general penatlies, eg abolishment from race tracks. Similar to Greg Bennett and Cameron Fitzpatrick, yes they were drivers but the rules they (are alleged to have?) broke weren't driving offences hence they were abolished from tracks. I am sure there have been other examples, even specific examples with rule 231(1) where punishment has been a general ban rather than a driving ban.
    If I am at the traffic lights and lean out the window and punch the guy next to me do I get demerit points taken off me or do I get charged with assault?

Am I mad for suggesting this? Or do others agree with me.
    Last edited by aussiebreno; 06-10-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    231-(2) A person shall not misconduct himself in any way.
    I think this part of the rule has been enforced as well
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Senior Member 3YO Mitch will become famous soon enough Mitch's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    Breno,

I completely agree with you. G Douglas very lucky.

Mitch.

Member Gelding Tangles will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mj mcmillian
    I would think this is very consistent with the penalties issued by Harness racing Victoria.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    I would think this is very consistent with the penalties issued by Harness racing Victoria.
    Not by any stretch of the imagination am I saying you are wrong...but can if this is consistent with other penalties can you please show me where a licenced person breaking rule 231 (1) or any other 'general rules' (as the heading goes on HRA Rules) has had a drivers licence suspended rather than other penalties.

It seems odd to me. If I'm wrong I'm happy to wear that and to have learned something, but it seems strange to me that they suspend a drivers licence for this kind of stuff. That he was in a sulky at the time should have no relevance, he could have been shovelling shit or anything and it wasn't a driving offence.

Junior Member Foal Rhys - B Grade Trainer will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Rhys Pasitchnyj
    Occupation
    Harness Trainer
    Horses
    Black As Knight - Piper Findlay - De Osc
    - Breno I have been done aswell ( but i got done for Inexceptable Whip Use ) .... & i mean i pleaded my case to the Stewards , and i was like " well Sir, what am i sopose to do let other Runner's run past me ..... ? & i mean this horse i was Driving didn't like going passed Horses.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    When I first read your post saying he had been disqualified I thought that the penalty was in keeping with the charge and the circumstances of the incident as I had read it.
    then I went to the website to read the media release of the hearing and note that it was only a suspension of his driving licence.

Now I see where you are coming from.
    IMO the penalty is not in keeping with the charge or the circumstances of the incident.
    I agree that the incident hardly qualifies as a race driving breach but rather one of general (as you say) or common assault. As such a tougher penalty is normally warranted.
    A disqualification would I suspect be normal warrant for such activity....

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by teecee View Post
    When I first read your post saying he had been disqualified I thought that the penalty was in keeping with the charge and the circumstances of the incident as I had read it.
    then I went to the website to read the media release of the hearing and note that it was only a suspension of his driving licence.

Now I see where you are coming from.
    IMO the penalty is not in keeping with the charge or the circumstances of the incident.
    I agree that the incident hardly qualifies as a race driving breach but rather one of general (as you say) or common assault. As such a tougher penalty is normally warranted.
    A disqualification would I suspect be normal warrant for such activity....
    Oops now edited that to driving suspension.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    Glen is mainly the trainer, Daryl is the driver so this penalty is a joke. IMO the horses will go better without him in the cart.
    Don't die wondering !

Member Gelding Tangles will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mj mcmillian
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post
    Glen is mainly the trainer, Daryl is the driver so this penalty is a joke. IMO the horses will go better without him in the cart.
    Hrv obviously are aware of all issues.
    Last edited by Tangles; 06-10-2012 at 03:10 PM.

+ Reply to Thread