Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Stallion fees 2012

Senior Member 3YO Gtrain has a spectacular aura about Gtrain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Grant Train
    I read this forum with interest and breeding season has snuck upon us again. I am a new breeder and enjoy gathering information before making the choice of sire. I have an Our Sir Vancelot mare of small to medium size and good conformation. As the broodmare statistics for OSV are a bit light on atm I have looked at Vance Hanovers record. The obvious success of In The Pocket cross intrigues me. Would people predict this cross to be successful with OSV also? The difficult part is two of the three ITP stallions at stud are a result of ITP over a Vance Hanover mare. Is the Vance Hanover too close to consider Courage or Changeover? Or should I ignore this and look down a different line altogether. I am happy and open to any advice. I enjoy sifting through the information.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    Gtrain, Have you considered Julius Caesar, full brother to CC and leaving some nice horses.
    Don't die wondering !

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by gtrain View Post
    i read this forum with interest and breeding season has snuck upon us again. I am a new breeder and enjoy gathering information before making the choice of sire. I have an our sir vancelot mare of small to medium size and good conformation. As the broodmare statistics for osv are a bit light on atm i have looked at vance hanovers record. The obvious success of in the pocket cross intrigues me. Would people predict this cross to be successful with osv also? [vvv] i reckon it would work if only on the basis that the osv's tended to be pretty tough buggers, i've heard a few trainers who have had them say that they would cop everything thrown at them and keep on coming so putting some of that direct scooter line early speed over the top of that makes perfect sense to me.
    the difficult part is two of the three itp stallions at stud are a result of itp over a vance hanover mare. Is the vance hanover too close to consider courage or changeover? [vvv] nah, not at all. If anything that's quite an established pattern (as in a 3 x 3 cross with the same horse as the damsire of sire and sire of damsire) blacks a fake is bred that way (in his case it's a 3x3 to albatross, incidentally the sire of vance hanover). Only one thing and that is the size factor. Courage under fire & changeover were too very different horses across the board. Depends which one you think physically suits your mare the best.
    or should i ignore this and look down a different line altogether. I am happy and open to any advice. I enjoy sifting through the information.
    [vvv] the best bit of general advice i ever got was to trust your gut feelings. It's also so much more rewarding if it all comes off. Something's pushing you towards one of those two horses so work out which one you like the most for your mare and pin your ears back and go for it. If you still can't decide one way or the other then bugger it, just take a shot at both of them, this year cuf, the next changeover or vice versa. Good luck.
    vvv

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    If you are looking primarily at these 2 stallions well CUF is FULL and CLOSED while if you want to look what Changeover is leaving have a look at....

http://www.nevelerstud.co.nz/weanlings

The filly by Holmes Dream (Dam of Bold Cruiser) You probably know his exploits as well as any.

the filly from Joyrock (dam of Waipawa Lad) NZ FFA G1

Click on the underlined hyperlink for pics.

Real Name
    Grant Train
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    vvv
    Many thanks. She certainly lives up to the tough monicker. Raced injured most of her life and always put in just lacked some sheer speed. She is probably of a size that any sire would suit however a bit of extra size would assist.

Teecee the Holmes Dream filly certainly has some LEG!! Looks a massive filly!

Junior Member Foal Pete will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Peter Lynch
    Gtrain, FWIW - I also have a OSV mare who I have had a couple of foals out of already. Not overly large mare, similarly she was very tough on the track - she fell in track work as a juvenile injuring herself, but made it back to the track to win a race as a 4yo before we retired her.
    Her first foal was a filly by Safari who was a little plain, (still only a yearling now and yet to have a full preparation), her second one though is by Always A Virgin who was a magnificent looking foal and is growing into a nice weanling - I think the breeding of Our Sir Vancelot suits Always a Virgin (peppertree have an article about AAV and the sire lines that suit him on their website).
    I have also looked into CUF for her in the future as I think there is something to be said for the 3x3 Vance Hanover worked for one of his best in Lanercost. Good luck with her - looking forward to hearing more about the progeny of OSV.

Real Name
    Grant Train
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Gtrain, FWIW - I also have a OSV mare who I have had a couple of foals out of already. Not overly large mare, similarly she was very tough on the track - she fell in track work as a juvenile injuring herself, but made it back to the track to win a race as a 4yo before we retired her.
    Her first foal was a filly by Safari who was a little plain, (still only a yearling now and yet to have a full preparation), her second one though is by Always A Virgin who was a magnificent looking foal and is growing into a nice weanling - I think the breeding of Our Sir Vancelot suits Always a Virgin (peppertree have an article about AAV and the sire lines that suit him on their website).
    I have also looked into CUF for her in the future as I think there is something to be said for the 3x3 Vance Hanover worked for one of his best in Lanercost. Good luck with her - looking forward to hearing more about the progeny of OSV.
    You must have read my mind Pete as AAV is definitely a sire of interest for me. His progeny look fantastic and he was an under rated horse IMO. Also he has a cracking name and I can't wait to hear some of the offspring!!

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrain View Post
    You must have read my mind Pete as AAV is definitely a sire of interest for me. His progeny look fantastic and he was an under rated horse IMO. Also he has a cracking name and I can't wait to hear some of the offspring!!
    [VVV] I always thought he was a GREAT gaited horse too.

Real Name
    Grant Train
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    [VVV] I always thought he was a GREAT gaited horse too.
    Looks magnificent in the videos however after the open day at Peppertree all anyone could talk about was Sportwriter and whether or not Heaven is 14 hands.

Member Yearling ARTOFFICIAL will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Damien Saxon
    What was said about Sportswriter Grant?? Also is Heaven a midget or something?????? Any other news from the open day re stallions?

+ Reply to Thread