Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Stallion fees 2012

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Harvey

Considering they dropped SBSW service fee from $20k to $15k in the states one would think they would of dropped it a little over here but i suppose the deal was done for the semen before the drop in price i'm not sure. It will be interesting to see if Nevele R drop Western Ideal's service fee again, when he was $20k in the states he was $18,700 out here and then they dropped him to $15k in the states and his fee was lowered to $14,750 out here and for the past season Western Ideal stood for a service fee of $10k at Hanover Shoe farm's so if his fee drop's to around that out here he will be great value for money i would think as he has proven himself as a great sire..

Junior Member Weanling Kevin Dinnigan will become famous soon enough Kevin Dinnigan's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin email.Kevin.Dinnigan@Three.com.au Dinnigan
    Occupation
    Research
    Horses
    Hindu Rani. Hindu Goddess.Hindu Rama,Hin
    Yes breeders should band together and form a breeders co-op, the more breeders in a group the bigger the bargaining power. Big business does this everyday.
    Who is up to joining a group like this. Your response is key.
    Kind Regards.
    KevinD.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    G'day Harvey,

From your persepctive, you are always going to be pushing it up hill as far as service fees are concerned.
    Every man & his dog knows that here in Australia the annual production of Breed to Race Breeders greatly outnumbers that of the Commercial come Yearling Sales Breeders...annually running at something to the tune of 5 or 6 to 1 in favour of the Breed To Race fraternity if I remember the HRA Breeders Panel Survey results correctly....might be even more?
    As much as they might prefer to believe otherwise, the fact is...Commercial Breeders are not driving the bus.
    The Breed to Race Breeders are.
    In tandem with that reality, the business model of every single Southern Hemipshere Studs is duly not focussed upon Yearling Sales, rather they are sellers of Semen/Services and their largest single group of customers are Breed To Race Breeders.
    Looking at the relative value of service fees from the point of view of a Commercial Breeder assessing fees Vs yearling sales returns is a somewhat pointless exercise because that aspect represents an admittedly high profile but overall minor part of the overall stud business.

Senior Member 2YO Starship Captain will become famous soon enough Starship Captain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason Cash
    I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can Perhaps I may become a highwayman again
    Occupation
    Starship Captain
    We have done some foal share deal's with studs in the past, no service fee, when the horse sold, the agreed % of sale to the stud farm.
    Our experience with this was ok, a good sale meant we paid more than the service fee, a bad sale we paid less than the service fee.

One other thing, they would not accept some of the mare's for this, said not commercial enough.
    Last edited by Starship Captain; 06-21-2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: The big plus is delaying the payment for us.+

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymo View Post
    thats all well and good, but at some point the studs(and in particular the US stud owners) need to realise how bad things are in Aust at the moment.

The amount of money flowing out of the industry is mind boggling and most the US owners have not tipped a single cent back into the Aust industry...

A story of a golden goose springs to mind...
    Harvey,

The amount of money flowing out of the industry is a huge issue and is one that I have raised many times in the past. If we had enough faith in our local product to breed to our own stallions rather than those from US and to buy and breed more of our own racehorses and less from NZ the positive impact on our industry would be massive. I wonder if it will ever happen.
    IMO stallion owners, especially those residing overseas, will reduce service fees when market forces dictate that they have to, ie. when enough broodmare owners decide that they are not prepared to pay $x for that stallion and breed instead to a stallion that they perceive offers better value. Mach Three is clearly not in that situation so I can't see any likelihood of his fee being reduced.
    I think that service fee levels on the whole are above what the industry can afford and they are slowly coming down as competition for the breeding dollar intesifies. The laws of supply and demand will fix that. The far greater issue for our breeders (and trainers and drivers and blacksmiths, etc, etc.) I believe is that there has been a massive reduction in people wanting to be involved as an owner. The option always exists to breed to a cheaper stallion but at the end of the day if nobody wants the yearlings then you are screwed. Breeders will not sustain losses forever, whether they be commercial breeders or breed to race breeders.

Senior Member 4YO dizzy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    dot schmidt
    Well said Trevor. I doubt that this is an easy market place for anyone to operate in, mare owners or stallion service providers. Obviously US based owners have benefited from exchange rates in recentyears and could do more here then they do, but by the same token there are perhaps more expenses to be met in shuttling stallions then meets the mare owner eye. No doubt many stallion owners are operating in an even more difficult economy in the US as a result of the GFC then here and the changes to the slots legislation in Ontario threatens to throw the most lucrative market in NA into kaos as well. Market forces and availability may well steer breeders into using more home grown product if some lesser patronised shuttle stallions become to expensive to shuttle.

Ultimately as Trevor said the crux of the problem is the decreasing number of people wanting to be owners, and the number of licensed participants is also in decline. Getting people more people involved in harness racing has to be the number one priority and all avenues have to be explored in order to achieve that. At present the only strategy in place seems to be one of increasing prizemoney, something that certainly doesn't go astray but does not appear to be achieving the desired effect. I cant help but think that some of our decline at least is as a result in turning what was a family sport into an industry in line with the practices of the TB industry. Perhaps we need to get some of the "sport" back into harness racing.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    Spoke to Woodlands Stud today, and they confirmed that their stallions would be standing at the same price as last year

Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    I have been informed Art Major has been dropped back to $10k

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist

Thumbs up Guido's fee remains unchanged.

After extensive off-season discussions with my business partners Trevor Swan & Dennis Lyle, I can now confirm that Guido, the heavily linebred to Glen Almahurst son of siring legend Whacko The Chook & the great producing mare, Baby Take Ya Teeth Out, will be standing for the same fee as last season.

Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hey Triple

With the price's of service fee's at the present time, if you price Guido right you and your partner's might make a $ or 2 lmao.

+ Reply to Thread