Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Victoria Derby

nat

Victoria Derby

There seem to be a lot of NZ bred and trained horses trying out for the Derby this year most of them are new to Australia and have great form for a handfull of races. Who are the ones to look out for that could make a big impact.

aussiebreno
    Love the Vic Derby! Best Derby in Australia and the heat/final series adds interest!
    Royal Verdict I was going to mention as a lay - being first up, but after opening $3.20 and coming into $2.90 I think the smart money has come.
    I haven't been through the form yet - they come from everywhere so the heats aren't really a betting proposition for mine - but I like Jadahson from the pole in the first heat. Vladimir the Great will be the interesting runner in that.
    Keayang Cullen is the best 3yo we have seen this season as far as I'm concerned (Royal Verdict hasnt raced yet so hard to guage). The Gold Ace has opened $2.10 favourite - if he wins this and draws the front next week the Derby will be his - just has to bring his NZ form. However @ $4.40 and probably more race-night I will be on KC. Watch for Thats So Irish to sneak up from 3 the pegs late and run a place at big odds!
    In the third heat Excel Stride will be winning imo. Holds the ace, can lead or hand up to OMM. Sushi Sushi may have to death seat it which isnt really his go - would be a shame if he missed out on qualifying though.
    My tip for the final, being patriotic, is Keayang Cullen to beat Royal Verdict and Excel Stride.

nat
    Yeh I really like Royal Verdict and I'm with you on your concerns 1st up, Keayang Cullen is an exciting prospect I'm out to sea on Jadahson dont know if he's good or above average and I do like Sushi Sushi as a race horse it's just these Kiwi raider I dont really know about.

aussiebreno
    The kiwis have won just about every Derby bar Divisive and LPW this century. Normally they only need to send two or three over but this year it seems even their 2nd stringers are trying to get in on the action (Empirific, Matt Maguire)
    But the main reason for the increase in the NZ Breeds is that the Aussie owners/trainers have went out and bought some Kiwi 3yos - God Send, Ransom Olds, Im Theliberator, Vladamir The Great, Beau Starlight, Glengowan and The Muskeg Express.
    The two proper Kiwi hopes are Major Mark and even more threateningly The Gold Ace.
    Thats 11 of the 33 horses. Then you have horses like The Phantom and Bledisloe who may be NZ bred but are 'Aussies'.

buster
    empreayn a second stringer? ppleaseeeeeee go and watch some replays

gold ace opened 2.6 and was backed into 2.1
    Last edited by buster; 01-27-2011 at 01:52 AM.

aussiebreno
    Gold Ace >>> Empirific. Therefore Empirific is a 2nd stringer.
    Major Mark has been across here before and has only had the two runs this season - bound to improve a lot more than Empirific.
    I'm not saying Empirific isnt a good horse, because that would be lying but he is no Courage Under Fire, Bellas Boy etc. Maybe he is a Courage To Rule. He has no gate speed which has him behind the 8ball from the start. I cannot see him winning the Vic Derby.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Aussiebreno

For the 1st heat i'll take your second stringer Empirific to beat Vladmir The Great

2nd heat The Gold Ace to win over Hez Matt Maguire

3rd heat Sushi Sushi to win over The Muskeg Express

And the others of note to look out for will be Royal Verdict, Keayang Cullen, Devilish Smile, Our Major Mark, Excel Stride.

If The Muskeg Express makes the final he will be my pick to take it out.

Senior Member 4YO Don Corleone has a spectacular aura about Don Corleone's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Fidow
    Occupation
    Sec Cons
    Heat One Empirific & Vladmir The Great
    Heat Two Gold Ace & Bledisloe
    Heat Three The Muskeg Express & Sushi Sushi

Gold Ace to win final.

Now to let everyone know.............I haven't pick the winner of the Vic Derby for about 12 years, so my forms not good!!

buster
    yes fair enough aussie, i thought you meant he was just making up numbers, if he drew 1 in the final and gold ace 13 then he would win

but that said i did back gold ace as i think hes a superstar

Senior Member 2YO Love Of Courage will become famous soon enough Love Of Courage's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue Smith
    Hello Hello,

Could someone please give me an idea as to the price that Ransom Olds was likely purchased for. I have a close relative and would appreciate your feeback as to the likely sale price.

Regards,

Sue
    Last edited by Love Of Courage; 01-27-2011 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Spelling

+ Reply to Thread