Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Victoria Derby

Flashing Red
    Providing her comes back to the form he showed later on in his 2yo season, I think Excel Stride will win hit heat, and as with any Victorian Derby, gets a somewhat decent draw, will win the final IMHO.

Member Yearling MasterK is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    Kurt Breen
    Occupation
    Student
    Emperific and Matt Maguire and in no way 2nd stringers. Emperific has gone some very good races here in NZ. Was unlucky on cup day when he galloped and has gone some very good races in Auckland and some pretty bad draws. Gold Ace has had pretty good draws the whole way along which although isnt the reason hes won all his races but it certainly helped. He did run a massive race to win the sire stakes on cup day. Matt Maguire has had a few issues in the past but is one of the best 3year olds when hes on his game. Ran close to the track record at Ausburton the thursday after cup day on a track known for speed. 1:54 i believe. I'm thinking that in all the heats it seems like the New Zealand owned and trained horses should come out on top. Sure you Australians have some good 3 year olds but I really do think we're once again a step a head.

buster
    think your right masterk, the aussies have been racing in c0's and trials...the kiwis have been racing in group 1's for a month

flash i trust you ddint see the trial at menangle with excel stride? he did gallop but heard muskeg was ultra impressive

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Masterk
    Thats why i included them in my picks, i went through there form and watched a few replays and with the right trip either of them can win.

Hi Buster
    I like excell stride and i hope he makes the final but his downfall could be that he is a little head strong.

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by buster View Post
    think your right masterk, the aussies have been racing in c0's and trials...the kiwis have been racing in group 1's for a month

flash i trust you ddint see the trial at menangle with excel stride? he did gallop but heard muskeg was ultra impressive
    No I didn't.
    Missing the race due to rain, flooding etc and unable to get the work in I haven't been as diligent as other years on the competition....

nat
    Don't go blowing your horns to early and discount Royal Verdict he came from obscurity several times last season to win the race's that count and he is in a good camp and Keayang Cullen untapped potential and hasn't been tested yet

Real Name
    Kurt Breen
    Occupation
    Student
    So do you Australians have a superstable thing? guess it must have started.
    finished 2nd in the NZ one and would love to have tried yours.
    Yea anyone of the NZ 3year olds have a good shot of winning.
    I'm a big fan of The Muskeg Express. Its a good horse once its going right

buster
    i love royal verdict, but im just concerned hes only been trialling and although he should find the front in the heats, dornauff doesnt exactly try too hard in the heats of these big races

excel stride i do also like but you can't love them all and i think a few of these are better than him...i dont know what happened between morrie and the owners but looks a bit harsh to have sacked him

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by nat View Post
    Don't go blowing your horns to early and discount Royal Verdict he came from obscurity several times last season to win the race's that count and he is in a good camp and Keayang Cullen untapped potential and hasn't been tested yet
    When did Royal Verdict ever come from obscurity? He was always favourite or well-favoured to win. In his first defeat he was first up after just a 7week let-up and was as fat as a pig. In December Dornauf was quoted in an article as wanting to race him first up on Jan13. He didnt trial until the 17th so, presumably, is behind where Dornauf wanted him (No fault of Dornauf - the 2yo Crown is too late in the season and trainers cant be blamed for chasing the riches, but if trainers want to look after there horse they then have to give them a decent break - meaning early 3yo racing is pretty bare). His other two defeats were driver error, a soft as butter run in the Vicbred Semi and Dornauf trying to give him an easy time and not counting on Abettorpunt sprouting wings down the straight in the Crown Semi. So both reasons combined, Dornauf wanting to give him an easy run in a heat and the horse being first up and I wouldn't want to be taking the shorts. Even though I called Emprific a Kiwi 2nd stringer he is certaintly better than Abettorpunt and Modern Slippa so can easily run down Royal Verdict while Jadahson will have a great sit on him and is a live chance as well - imo. That said, Royal Verdict has proven he is the best of his age and I'd love to see him win the heat and final.

@MasterK - the superstable is just something Ive done as there is a lot of interest in the Derby and the Trotting on the forum.

Real Name
    Kurt Breen
    Occupation
    Student
    So has it already started or not?
    would be keen to have a go if it hasnt

+ Reply to Thread