Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is 'team driving' actually against the rules?

Banned Filly little fish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Username deleted

Is 'team driving' actually against the rules?

I'm hardly a rules expert so was wondering if a stable has multiple runners in a race is it actually in line with the rules that they work together to get one of them the win?

The issue crossed my mind recently firstly after watching the Young Pedro FFA on 29th June at Melton with Justice's 3 up front they made life hard for Jacca Clive to even get to the death.

Then last Friday night race 10 at Melton the stewards quizzed B Mangos on Mr Nickel over his drive, "When questioned regarding the tactics and performance of Mr Nickel, driver Brent Mangos explained that after a brief challenge for the lead in the early stages he then elected to restrain to obtain cover in the one out line and after achieving the gelding failed to travel on the bit before proving extremely disappointing over the concluding stages. A post-race veterinary examination of Mr Nickel failed to reveal any apparent abnormalities."

Brief challenge? Yes but during that 'brief challenge' they went absolutely flat out. Whilst Purdon's other horse Fly Like An Eagle sits back taking it easy and swoops on them when they were cooked - and where does Mr Nickel finish? 40m last. I'm fairly sure it's against his normal pattern of racing to lead or be driven so aggressively so early.

Any thoughts on this issue? If you owned Mr Nickel or Onedin Hustler would you be 'miffed' at the way your horse was driven in these races? Didn't they just transfer back to Purdon with Mr Nickel? Maybe not such a good move if he's just going to use you as a donkey for his 1st stringers.....??

Senior Member 4YO Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Leigh Stollery
    Team driving is definately against the rules (obviously). But I think it is covered under the 'giving a horse every possible chance' rule. Making a charge like that stick is a different matter all together though!

Banned Filly little fish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Username deleted
    If my wording in original message is slanderous in any way please can a moderator delete said words.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Quote Originally Posted by little fish View Post
    If my wording in original message is slanderous in any way please can a moderator delete said words.
    Little fish, if there is the slightest hint of slander in your comments, rest assurred Teecee will do his best impression of Zorro, slicing, dicing and waving his epee with gay abandon. Usually though, there is little subtelty applied by the mods. One click on the delete button and your thoughts will be just like yesterdays pay...gone!!

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Quote Originally Posted by broncobrad View Post
    Little fish, if there is the slightest hint of slander in your comments, rest assurred Teecee will do his best impression of Zorro, slicing, dicing and waving his epee with gay abandon. Usually though, there is little subtelty applied by the mods. One click on the delete button and your thoughts will be just like yesterdays pay...gone!!
    I'll sleep on whether that is slanderous eh?? lol

Administrator 3YO admin will become famous soon enough admin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jules Boven
    Occupation
    Marketing Manager
    Horses
    Charge Forward
    Zorro, ha, I like that
    Please read the rules before posting.

Harnesslink Marketing Manager

+ Reply to Thread