Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Drug Testing alone catch or stop DRUG cheats? - Richard Freedman on TripleM Radio

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist

John 8:7 my friend.

I'd have thought it obvious Lee.
    "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone"...or something along those lines.
    For old mate to claim the moral highground on this one is pretty rugged for mine.
    Maybe he's just got early onset dimentia and his memory is not what it used to be ?
    I'm getting to know what that's like myself.

Senior Member Colt Lethal is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    Lee Balmer
    You said it 'dimentia' sic

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Indeed. Proof Reading eh? Who'd have thought? Looks like you've finally found something you're good at Lee.

aussiebreno
    Going back to what Freedman said (although I didn't hear the interview)...was it really ground-breaking at all?
    Did anybody really think that drug testing alone would stop each and every drug cheat. Still, it does make a big difference and we are better off doing it than not doing it at all as the OP suggested.

mark diegutis
    Hi guys its Trish using Marks site.
    I found this.... To me & how its written, says that steroids are banned. I thought they were. Im sure VVV or VOR will explain...... Its on a site called The Jockey Club.

One last comment on a happier note: Treve Williams is an Australian veterinarian. He is of similar stature in Australia as Gary Lavin or Bobby Copelan are in the U.S. Until about 15 years ago, Australia allowed anabolic steroids and then moved, as we are doing today, to ban them. Right after John Kimmel made his comments Treve stood up and described to the same audience how he had fought the Australian anabolic steroid ban tooth and nail. He was sure racing couldn't survive without anabolic steroids, but when anabolic steroids were banned in Australia, Australian racing and the horses never missed a beat. Thank you for your attention.

Senior Member Colt Lethal is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    Lee Balmer
    Trish, one of the reasons that racing progressed after the ban, was because horses were able to race on for many for more years than with steroids.
    It was because the damage to their bone structure (calcium deficiency) was no longer present. Prior to the ban it was most unlikely that a 14yo horse was still able to race and be competitive. You now see many of them not the least Mustard and one other old timer you might remember RTR.

Senior Member 3YO 2minuteman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ron James
    Occupation
    General Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by mark diegutis View Post
    Sorry Jaimie . No stays or appeals for you . Dot will have her trophy's and , Ok , Dot I'll ditch the Joseph Rogers and we'll just pop em out like 2 festered pimples
    Obviously a lover of great cutlery,got the castrating model of course.

Senior Member 4YO Thevoiceofreason has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Bill Williams
    Occupation
    Manager
    Hi guys its Trish using Marks site.
    I found this.... To me & how its written, says that steroids are banned. I thought they were. Im sure VVV or VOR will explain...... Its on a site called The Jockey Club.

One last comment on a happier note: Treve Williams is an Australian veterinarian. He is of similar stature in Australia as Gary Lavin or Bobby Copelan are in the U.S. Until about 15 years ago, Australia allowed anabolic steroids and then moved, as we are doing today, to ban them. Right after John Kimmel made his comments Treve stood up and described to the same audience how he had fought the Australian anabolic steroid ban tooth and nail. He was sure racing couldn't survive without anabolic steroids, but when anabolic steroids were banned in Australia, Australian racing and the horses never missed a beat. Thank you for your attention.
    Trish

Steroids are a prohibited substance on race day no debate there .....my point earlier is and remains their use is not banned, vets can and do still prescribe their use in both harness and thoroughbred horses in racing in Australia and are neither in breach of any laws or racing rules. There were some calls earlier in this thread calling for more out of competition testing to help control steroid use, simply that will not happen because their use is permitted just not too close to raceday.

mark diegutis
    Quote Originally Posted by Thevoiceofreason View Post
    Trish

Steroids are a prohibited substance on race day no debate there .....my point earlier is and remains their use is not banned, vets can and do still prescribe their use in both harness and thoroughbred horses in racing in Australia and are neither in breach of any laws or racing rules. There were some calls earlier in this thread calling for more out of competition testing to help control steroid use, simply that will not happen because their use is permitted just not too close to raceday.
    Hi Bill . Just as a matter of interest , is there a period before race day that they are not allowed to be present or is it Ok as long as the're clear race day . If thats the case then some trainers would base their training regime around the use of steroids and what about EPO . Does EPO come under the same restrictions or lack there of . Thanks Mark

aussiebreno
    Hi Bill . Just as a matter of interest , is there a period before race day that they are not allowed to be present or is it Ok as long as the're clear race day . If thats the case then some trainers would base their training regime around the use of steroids and what about EPO . Does EPO come under the same restrictions or lack there of . Thanks Mark
    @TripleV. It's going to be one long haul before everybody firstly understands the difference between therepautic and performance enhancing and then accepts it.

I'll think you will like this bit though. Ray Hadley gave a great analogy on the footy show last night (a show you've previously bagged!!). In harness racing terms his analogy was that a therepeutic drug only allows Oscar Lane to run like Oscar Lane, but a performance enhancing drug allows Oscar Lane to run like Christian Cullen.

Off the point of the topic, but Mark's comments reminded me.

+ Reply to Thread