Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Drug Testing alone catch or stop DRUG cheats? - Richard Freedman on TripleM Radio

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Ibelieve Karloo Kix vet's record's were looked at and he had never even treated the horse even for a snotty nose. While on the testing side i believe you can't get a DNA test on the positive samples to make sure it is from the said horse's it is supposed to be from.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

mark diegutis
    The stewards were tough back then, but it made me laugh.

But doping in horse racing is a century-old tradition, going at least as far back as a case in England in the nineteenth century in which a man was executed for drugging a racehorse with arsenic

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/06/21/...#ixzz21EMIzWzc

Cheers
    Trish

Senior Member 4YO Thevoiceofreason has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Bill Williams
    Occupation
    Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by mark diegutis View Post
    Hi Bill . Just as a matter of interest , is there a period before race day that they are not allowed to be present or is it Ok as long as the're clear race day . If thats the case then some trainers would base their training regime around the use of steroids and what about EPO . Does EPO come under the same restrictions or lack there of . Thanks Mark
    Mark and Dot

The rules governing out of competition testing are set out below the overall race day prohibited substance rules I have set them out below.

I am nether a chemist or a vet, however it is pretty clear these rules do not include steroids.... out of competition testing is a horse of entirely different color and as I have said before and am happy to be corrected there are only 2 race day positives in the past 4 years that think would have been caught under this rule if they were tested out of competition.

Needless to say they are not Barry Lew or Luke McCarthy.

If I was making the decision to test 200 horses per year out of competition, or an extra 200 race day winners I think the answer is clear and extra 200 race day winners would bring the testing procedure in NSW to somewhere near where it needs to be... but to run out one of my well worn phrases "everybody wants integrity no one wants to fund it"

Out of Competition Testing

190A. (1) When a sample taken at any time from a horse being trained by a licensed trainer has detected in it any prohibited substance specified in sub-rule (2), or metabolites, artifacts or isomers of such prohibited substance, the trainer and any other person who was in charge of such horse at the relevant time may be punished unless he satisfies the Stewards that he had taken all proper precautions to prevent the administration of such prohibited substance.

(2) For the purpose of sub-rule (2) the following substances are specified as prohibited substances:-

- Anileridine
    - Etorphine
    - Dipipanone
    - Endorphins
    - Human erythropoietin, darbepoetin alfa
    - Human insulin, bovine insulin and porcine / canine insulin
    - Diacetylmorphine (heroin), cocaine, cannabinoids and lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD)
    - Amphetamines including amphetamine, methylamphetamine
    - Methylenedioxyamphetamine and methylenedioxymethamphetamine

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by mark diegutis View Post
    The stewards were tough back then, but it made me laugh.

But doping in horse racing is a century-old tradition, going at least as far back as a case in England in the nineteenth century in which a man was executed for drugging a racehorse with arsenic

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/06/21/...#ixzz21EMIzWzc

Cheers
    Trish
    Frog Juice eh? probably helps them jump out a bit quicker? give the opposition the slip? Gotta be careful with the dosing you don't want them to croak?

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    A trainer from these parts got a Bufotenin positive years ago when The Dodger was NSW Chief Steward. It was blamed on...wait for it...dear old mate, the trusty & very much loved paddock fodder grass...Phalaris. At the time it was worked out that, given it is present for a relatively short period of growing time & at a max. concentration of around 0.005% by weight...in order for a horse to ingest enough Bufotenin to show up in a swab as a direct result of eating Phalaris it would have to have eaten an amount which was approaching a semi-trailer load within a 36hr periods. Nevertheless, the defence was accepted...and a warning went out to Trainers to be careful with racing stock grazing Phalaris. What a complete and utter farce that was. Must have been just sheer dumb luck that despite the numerous ensuing seasons and despite all the Phalaris that has come, been grazed & gone again only to once again return and be grazed & so on...not a single Bufotenin positive has surfaced? Bugger me eh? That warning about not letting racehorses graze Phalaris really had an impact huh?
    Last edited by Triple V; 07-22-2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: spelling, I wouldn't want to upset Lee. :-P

Senior Member Colt Lethal is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    Lee Balmer
    Jamie, my fingers are quivering as I write this but, this time you are 100% correct. Bufotenin was, and still is obtained from 'Cane Toads', amazing that no other horse has 'eaten' one since.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Hey Lee, for a Bonus Point...
    What is the furthest Southern extent of the Cane Toad's range?
    Is it...
    (a) The QLD/NSW Border
    (b) Parramatta Rd/The Great Western Highway
    (c) The Pheasant's Nest Bridge

Senior Member Colt Lethal is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    Lee Balmer
    The answers obvious.............. (c).........and then they retreated due to the HRNSW warning.

Senior Member 2YO HISGEN65 will become famous soon enough HISGEN65's Avatar
    Real Name
    James Lewin
    Occupation
    Full time job..sadly
    Horses
    Sign of Perfecshon-Highview Sign
    hi all
    jeezzz where do you start when talking about cheats in the industry??..one thing that I will say is that in my humble opinion
    the penaltys are way too lenient.It seems before you know it your again racing against the same proven & convicted cheats
    that have just been sent on holidays..so I am guessing that some of these dirt bags feel its "worth the risk"
    This leads me to the next thing thats shits me off..it doesnt take rocket science to see where alot of these horses get transferred to
    once someone goes for a holiday.This again adds the notion that its "worth the risk" as they will still be pulling the strings anyways.
    Its like anything in life...if the penalties & consequences for ones actions far outweigh the risk & the ensueing rewards most will think twice
    So to answer the original posters question "Can Drug Testing alone catch or stop DRUG cheats"
    no they wont....but the heavier penalties & or consequences may

Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist

The scale of penalties is far too compressed.

My biggest issue with the penalties as they stand here in NSW is the relative harshness of the bottom end and the relative leniency of the top end.
    12 months for a Bute overage, 5 years for the presence of EPO. That is a scale that is way, waaaaay too compressed. 3 months at the bottom end and 10 years at the top end would, for mine, represent justice.
    I don't know exactly how the present spread of penaties were arrived at but there's one thing that appears certain. Not a whole lot of thought was given to them insofar as the comparitive seriousness of offences are concerned.

+ Reply to Thread