Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Breeding Cross

nat

Favorite Breeding Cross

What's your favorite breeding cross that when your looking through the race book or sale book or breeding of a horse that you always mark and watch with interest

Two of my favorites are

Classic Garry over Windsheild Wiper mares (now getting on)
    Christian Cullen over Falcon Seelster mares (I also look out for ITP and his son's over these mares)

Also like Smooth Fella on the Dam side
    Last edited by nat; 01-28-2011 at 06:12 PM.

triplev123
    G'day Nat,

I don't have any particular bloodline combinations that I like in preference to others so much as I get the almost immediate feeling that some are probably right and will work whilst others are probably wrong and will not. Along those lines I very firmly believe (but have no substantive ideas as to why) there are certain sirelines that will work anywhere, others that will work in here in AUS but not in NZ and vice versa and further still some that will work in the US but not in the Southern Hemisphere and again, vice versa. I wish I knew why but it just is what it is.

I also think there is a fair amount of circumstantial evidence around to suggest that, for reasons that may never be fully explained, some sires do appear to exert an influence in a maternal family for many years beyond that which you'd reasonable expect of them.
    Two such horses, IMO, are Able Bye Bye and Scotty Belmont, the latter being a horse I am a particularly big fan of and like to see in a maternal family.
    Over the years the number of classy racehorses and successful producing broodmares that have had Scotty Belmont up close on their maternal line is really quite remarkable. The same sort of thing goes for Able Bye Bye. Again, I wish I knew why but it just is what it is.
    Last edited by triplev123; 01-29-2011 at 03:38 AM. Reason: very poor typing skills

nat
    Hi tiplev123

Yeh I wish I knew the secret
    I'm not saying these are the best but some nice horses with X factor have come out of these crosses, to me it's a bit like when you reading the fields and see a new first season sire 2yld having a start you check up to see how they went. I dont know about anyone else even when I'm looking through the fields to have a bet I still look at the breeding first before anything else.
    Last edited by nat; 01-29-2011 at 05:04 AM. Reason: spelling

Flashing Red
    I more rather like to see certain lines in certain spots rather than a cross itself....

Member Gelding trotpace will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Falcon Seelster on the Dam side.

Senior Member 4YO Don Corleone has a spectacular aura about Don Corleone's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Fidow
    Occupation
    Sec Cons
    I agree with you trotpace, I love Falcon Seelster on the dam side and even better if there a Tar Heel on the bottom line.

buster
    must be a million mares with falcon seelster in them in nz

triplev123
    Quote Originally Posted by buster View Post
    must be a million mares with falcon seelster in them in nz
    Hence, in general, the invariably late in life/post mortem/weight of numbers/ill begotten fame of 'The Broodmare Sire'.

buster
    and just as many with foals on the ground by sons of ITP, and one of is the best sire in the southern hemisphere

nat
    Who are you talking about Buster CC or CUF or the new kid on the block CO?

+ Reply to Thread