Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Favorite Breeding Cross

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    I like Falcon/Sokys Atom mare's put to a Direct Scooter line stallion such as In The Pocket,Christian Cullen, Courage Under Fire or Mach 3 it seems to be working well.

buster
    nat - cullen, courage is a solid stallion as well but just below cullen, mach three and bettors

i think its just the direct scooter speed and quality fillies that have given the kiwis the edge over aussie, the saying goes 'a good filly is only good for breeding a good colt'

Senior Member 4YO Don Corleone has a spectacular aura about Don Corleone's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Fidow
    Occupation
    Sec Cons
    Quote Originally Posted by buster View Post
    must be a million mares with falcon seelster in them in nz
    There is Buster, I just gave 2 away. One for breeding and the other is heading into the high country as shepards mare. I am breeding off another that I had. A few years back I had 6 fillies in training and 5 of them were Falcon Seelsters. All but one have gone on to the breeding barn.

Member Gelding trotpace will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Not many in the US with Falcon Seelster on the dam side and the ones that are race huge.

nat
    Hi buster Cullen is gold to me and would take his stock nearly over anything, Courage is getting there and it will be interesting to see how Changeover goe's I remember seeing him at the Valley after years of not liking him because he kept beating Pocket Watch and poping up and winning big races with soft runs to saying boy what a nice horse wouldnt mind a foal by him.

Junior Member Foal Robbo181 will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Mark Robson

Falcon Stike over Caprock Mare

all any thoughts on what would suit a falcon strike mare who is out of a caprock mare...

Senior Member 2YO Love Of Courage will become famous soon enough Love Of Courage's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue Smith
    Hello Nat,

I have met very few trainers who are big fans of Cullen in Australia. They sell nowhere near as well in Aus and a lot less are bred. I think that he was a superb horse and very good stallion, however the yearlings do not sell well over here.

Have noticed that with some very good mares that have had a variety of good winners with handy stallions and yet the cullen foal does not live up to the rest of the winners.

nat
    Hey Love Of Courage

Yeh those NZ Cullens have it on most of ours and they don't sell like in NZ Cullens, maybe it because we can cross the ditch and have a pick of 20 - 30 at the sales but only can choose from a handful at the Aussie sale and not always from the best mares. But I have turned full circle once I was US stallions only now I look at what we have Cullen, Courage, Changeover, Gotta Go Cullect, Pay Me Christian and Skyvalley still out to sea on Elsu though

triplev123
    They're so often such great looking horses & they're so often possessed of incredible point to point speed but there's one flaw that so many of the CC's have...and it is mental fragility. That's why NZ racing patterns so often suit them so well and by and large Australian patterns tend not to do so. In NZ, so rarely if ever is there any genuine early pressure and so they will get waved through to the front where they are left all alone on a completely unaccosted lead through to the half. From there they'll step it up and zoom off home and kill everything with their sheer speed. However, have another horse or two bustle them early and then keep them moving through to the half & there's a huge risk they'll sulk in the lane and not finish off. IMO that's THE major reason why the Direct Scooter sireline has invariably done soooooo much better over in NZ as compared to Australia. No early pressure. Dawdle out, balance up, rip home a half.

+ Reply to Thread