Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Ballarat Cup

nat
    Anyone can pick a faverite, horses at odds they are the ones I look for and I will wait till they have all the stars alligned

CINCINNATI KID in the cup nice draw if he can get the rail and get cover from Smoken Up mighten win but might place at good odds

aussiebreno
    Has Villagem hooked on like that before? They'd want to stop that. Smoken Up a bit disapointing, despite the hectic pace. Winner too good on the day but hard to take much out of the race after the first viewing.

buster
    got a dream run, if he draws the front in hunter cup its all over though

nat
    Definetly race was made to suite winner no sour grapes though first 2 have been there about in these big races for a while deserved win would had liked Georgetown to have hook out in front of Power Of Tara to see if he's got it. Villagem slaughterd his and Smoken Up's chances, he did look a bit out of control

triplev123
    What did you guys think of the old school whip shots the winner received inside of the final 16th?

buster
    against the rules, but i only have a problem with it because i backed power of tara

i think it should be ok to put a few hard ones on them (2 or 3), provided they stop doing it when the horses responds as stunin cullen did or if they horse doesnt respond because its tired

caldow didnt exactly look pretty flogging POT even though he had a rein in each hand

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Buster
    How come each state and n.z havn't got together to work this out once and for all, as i backed stunin cullen i was happy but rules are rules and they should stick to them.

triplev123
    I'm by no means a handbag, tree hugger, free the battery hens type...far from it...however I truly believe Harness Racing should throw the whips away altogether.
    I know that they don't do the wider image of the sport much good and they certainly do nothing by way of initially attracting and hopefully ultimately involving kids and younger people and especially so from outside of the usual avenues of entry.
    I've been around horses and Harness Racing since I first learnt to walk so it doesn't make a big an impression on me...I can remember the days of horses coming back with blood streaming down their rumps from those bloody cruel Cane handle whips with the big thick leather cracker on the end that could and would split a horse wide open...so to me today's whips look very innocuous by comparison. However when I've had the chance to take one or both of my daughters along to the races, which is unfortunately not very often, even with today's very much toned down & modified whips and whip rules the girls still get pretty distressed when the drivers lay some solid shots on the horses. I never gave it so much as a 2nd thought until I began to see it through their eyes. When they ask me why are the men hitting the horses like that... I find it hard to give them a justifiable reason. In addition to that I've come to very firmly believe you can get as just much if not more from a horse by shouting at it, making a loud noise, that you can ever get from belting it. Further still, I am certain that taking the sticks away would sort the Wheat from the Chaff in terms of the Drivers. Whip or no Whip, the fact is that horses will just go for some Drivers...the likes of Dexter Dunn, Greg Sugars, Gavin Lang and so on.
    Last edited by triplev123; 01-30-2011 at 10:20 AM.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Good Morning Triplev123
    I do hope your making Mrs Triplev123 and your daughters breakfast but don't think for 1 minute that will get you out of taking your sale books on your honeymoon lol. Yes the whip rule can be viewed a lot of different ways but i'll go the other i reckon when a horse hits the straight drivers should be able to cross their reigns and lay a few on them if a horse is in no way a winning chance then the driver is to put the whip away. What do you think of how S.A have their numbers over the horses rump would that be another idea.

triplev123
    Nah, Sunday morning is Mrs. Triple's Pancake Time!!!! I just make the Coffee.
    I don't care much for the SA rump number routine at all because it makes the horses look ungainly in their gait, I think it makes them look kind of rear end heavy and clumsy for some reason other other.

+ Reply to Thread