Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: dartmoor

buster

dartmoor

i hope they wear radioactive suits when they swab it

triplev123
    That's a bit harsh Buster. I thought he was a graded certainty in that one, a hard knocking old M6 in against largely out of form come moderate form M1's, M2's and M3's. Hope you got a piece of the $6.10.

buster
    coming from last at the 300m? easy to say after the race

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    That's a bit harsh Buster. I thought he was a graded certainty in that one, a hard knocking old M6 in against largely out of form come moderate form M1's, M2's and M3's. Hope you got a piece of the $6.10.
    I agree with Triple V. That class is a lot easier than a FFA...

triplev123
    Not really Buster. That horse is a fair bit better than his recent form line suggests. Don't forget that in 6 of his previous 8 outings up in QLD he has gone around in Standing Start events over 2138m while coming off 20m & 30m handicaps every time. Down to Sydney and last start (his 1st for D. Thorn) over the 2300m he was held up for a completely clear shot at them & was only beaten 2m or so with a similarly slippery final quarter. This time out he is back to the Mile and he again unloads a similar charge from inside the quarter but gets clear air all the way to the line, thus he paces his own last half in the low 55's, might even have gone a shade under that. Compare that to last time out when he paced his last half in the high 55's/low 56's,... despite having difficulty clearing the fading cover at the top of the straight. The difference between tonight and January 18th's outing is that he got an unimpeded shot at them tonight.

buster
    you cant measure the horses form against its own

the horse is in for a 20k claim, he must be low flying...

nat
    I would say a well placed horse easy kill against horses well below his class, $20,000 claim on a 9yld got them the drop in class and if someone is willing to part $20,000 (highly unlikely) your a winner anyway.

Once you get past M4 the class rise is a hard step each week if your horse is on the edge of this class its hard to get a win and well placed claimers are the only way to make money you mightn't want to loose the horse so you put ridicules prices on them

buster
    as i already said, it looks a good class drop...AFTER THE RACE, he was 6.1 on the tote so obviously someone thought he wasn't a moral as everyone on here apparently knew he was

Flashing Red
    I didn't think he was a moral nor do I bet. I know he was racing (and doing well against) some nice midweek FFAers here... I have always liked the claiming system in NSW, I really think it gives claimers a huge advantage, more so than other states like Qld and Vic. Perhaps I have misunderstood you - you sounded surprised that he won. Looking at the fields today I thought he was nicely placed (from knowing him in Qld). While no certainy I wouldn't have thought it surprising if he won either due to drop in class?? This is not tooting my horn after the fact but rather an explanation....

triplev123
    G'day Buster,

I'm not comparing the horse's form against himself, rather I'm noting that in 6 of his last 8 starts he was placed in what I see as having been largely unsuitable races /unsuitable conditions, i.e. standing starts over 2138m and coming off marks of 20m & 30m to boot.
    From those marks against those horses over that distance, he basically had no chance of winning, the best he could do was fill a place.
    Prior to those it's also worth noting that he was in against FFA company and there he was racing pretty well but again without winning, knocking heads with Black's A Fake in the process.
    Go back a ways further and he's over in WA and in against I'm Themightyquinn, Alzona & Co in the Freemantle Cup and he finishes a couple of meters 3rd off a 56 & a piece last half at the end of a punishing 2900+m.
    Fast Forward to last week and then again last and he's back to a couple of genuinely run mobile events & it's no great surprise that he shows what he can do in both events when placed to advantage.
    The Americans have a very good term for all this...they call it 'back class' and last night Dartmoor was the Poster Boy for 'back class'.
    It didn't make him a moral last night nor last week when he probably would also have won first up for the new stable only for being hampered turning into the stretch. I don't think that there is such a thing as a moral anywhere in racing full-stop...but as I said, I thought he was a graded certainty, that meaning with all things being equal, given his resume and the current form/quality his opposition, he was a pretty good chance to win it & so it didn't surprise me at all that he did. Unfortunately I can't think of the fella's name right now but a well known US Trainer from years ago was given to say something along the lines of "Keep yourself in the best of company and your horses in the worst". Of course, those weren't bad horses he faced last night, rather they were just not as strong as the crew he has been in against in the last 12+ months. Very much to his credit David Thorn found a niche and the horse could be competitive again, the NSW Claiming System with it's M1-2-3 grade horses also eligible M4+ with a Claiming Price of $X conditons attached.
    Those races probably should be ringing the Dinner Bell all throughout Oz for the Owners of every horse that's currently in a similar position to that which Dartmoor found himself in. I'm not trying to be the Sage after the event Buster, merely explaining that he won not because he was 'enhanced' as you initially suggested, but because he was exceptionally well placed.

+ Reply to Thread