Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: This made me laugh...

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Nah, I'll pass. Only ever had one bad fall, it was my fault, going flat out down a hill that very quickly flattened out at the bottom and the horse knuckled over and fell. Horse got up again and was ok. I got off light, just some scrapes and bruises and picking the spines from three cornered jacks out of my person for months. Weird how when you fall everything goes into slow motion. I could see the ground coming and I remember thinking it was going to hurt. Never again. Haven't ridden since. Had a few misadventures in a track work cart but nothing quite so bad as that. LOVE getting a chance to hop in the bike however, that's terrific. Maybe we could work out a way to combine Fox Hunting and Harness Racing? Hitch up some of Jim Walsh's super jog bikes with suspension and away we go. I'd better stop there. I wonder how long before some tool down at Ultimo tosses that idea up at a Monthly Meeting?

Senior Member 4YO dizzy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    dot schmidt
    So why not a bit of bute for you VVV and keep going? Its what you expect your horse to do isn't it. Or perhaps some one should give you a drench with a little water and cement!
    Last edited by dizzy; 08-04-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    A few thing's in the article may have been over the top but at least they are having a go at promoting our sport maybe some other club's could have a go at it as well, it might work . All in all i think they are trying to do a good job at getting bum's on seat's.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Senior Member 3YO Mitch will become famous soon enough Mitch's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Mitch you say that you hope people turn up and punt in droves at Bankstowns carnival and you have no issue with directors marketing their carnivals and most of all you said that it made you laugh!!!! isn't laughing a good thing? You know they say laughter is the best medicine right? So why the thumbs down icon in the title????
    Because I was laughing (in disbelief) at how misleading the article is and I think our industry deserves better than the load of tripe written in the release.

Real Name
    dot schmidt
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Because I was laughing (in disbelief) at how misleading the article is and I think our industry deserves better than the load of tripe written in the release.
    I'm sorry for you Mitch that you see it that way

Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    I'm sorry for you Mitch that you see it that way
    Really Dot...

I think if people in this sport continue to praise mediocrity or accept anything less than a higher standard then this sport will never move forward. I don't think this media release helps our sport in any way. The Bankstown City Cup is a restricted M1 race on a Thurdsday night.... The media release put out makes it sound like something profoundly different.

Real Name
    dot schmidt
    Maybe Mitch but only people in the industry would know what a restricted M1 race is. The only intent is to try to get people to the track to experience harness racing, and Mitch if you've never been before the grade of race or the time they run really isn't relevant.

Many times I took people to see show jumping for the first time and they marvelled at how big a 1.40m track in an Australian Grand Prix was. I let then find out for themselves as they became more interested that at the top level overseas the fences are a 1.60m high and very frequently 2m wide as well.

aussiebreno
    Maybe Mitch but only people in the industry would know what a restricted M1 race is. The only intent is to try to get people to the track to experience harness racing, and Mitch if you've never been before the grade of race or the time they run really isn't relevant.
    Yeah, because people that have never been before and don't know what an M1 is would be looking at the articles on the harness.org website

Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan

Many times I took people to see show jumping for the first time and they marvelled at how big a 1.40m track in an Australian Grand Prix was. I let then find out for themselves as they became more interested that at the top level overseas the fences are a 1.60m high and very frequently 2m wide as well.
    Yes I agree but people who don't know about harness racing also do not know about the harness.org website. We both know this release wasn't released with the intendtion of attracting new people to Bankstown....

I've had my say and don't want to engage in a back & forth... As I said in my original post I wish Bankstown all the best with their carnival. Let's hope future releases more accurately portray the scope and appeal of such events.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend Dot.

Real Name
    dot schmidt
    Mitch, Brenno you may view the press releases on harness.org.au as that is obviously a site you would visit but why is it you presume that that is the only place it is released?

+ Reply to Thread