Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flops or fair

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando

Flops or fair

With the season just finished which first and second season sires in people's opinion failed or were o'k in the season just finished ?
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Jereme's Jet was a wash-out which really surprised me. I thought he was a big chance to leave a swathe of 2yo winners but from 65 foals, he had 22 starters & struggled to get 5 winners and of those that did get there none of them could beat time with a stick. I note that he has got 8 winners in Oz now, oldest now 3yrs, but 3 of those were bred in NZ so at 5 Oz bred winners his total thusfar remains.
    Four Starzzz Shark disappointed me a bit, I thought he would do more, he did Ok but that's about all. They'll come on as 3yos+ no doubt but it would have been good to see some more & better 2yo winners from him. He closed out with 14 individual 2yo winners from 141 foals.
    Real Desire didn't have 2yos here in Oz last season but his 3yos didn't do much, at least not that I noticed. They're the only 1st &/or 2nd season sires that I can think of.

The imposing trio of Art Major, Bettor's Delight & Mach Three will prove one Hell of a mountain for any new sire to climb. They (new sires) are going to have to be much the best even to take them on & beat them.
    In terms of their combined 2yo earnings, Art Major, Bettor's Delight & Mach Three picked up almost as much $ as the combined 2yo progeny earnings totals of the next 17 sires on the AUS Top 20 2yo Sires Earnings table.
    Last edited by Triple V; 09-24-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Junior Member Foal Pete will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Peter Lynch
    Metropolitan did quite well with his first crop (who were 3yos last season) from only 59 foals had 29 starters for 16 winners and 47 wins. (A few made the finals of the Vicbred series)
    His second crop (who were 2yos last year) didn't do nearly as well but did include Blitzemcalder who probably made up most the prizemoney from his second crop.

I think he is very good value now - only $1750 - I seem to remember he started out at around $3K.
    Shame they didn't reduce it earlier, as he would have attracted a lot more mares if he was priced like that in his first two seasons.

Real Name
    Greg Hando
    All Foals Bred here in Oz 10% w/f used as Just acceptable IMO I didn't do any Trotter's just some first and second season sire's.

Real Desire 3yos 83 foals 65 strs 33wnrs 14 in 2.00 39.75%w/f Top
    Four Starzzz Shark 2yos 141 foals 54 strs 15 wnrs 6 in 2.00 10.64% w/f Just
    American Ideal 2 & 3yos 53 foals 21 strs 13 wnrs 8 in 2.00 24.54% w/f Good
    J R Mint 2&3yo 64 foals 21 strs 10 wnrs 2 in 2.00 15.62% w/f Fair
    Mandingo 2 &3 40 foals 13 strs 6 wnrs 3 in 2.00 15% w/f Fair
    Pocketwatch 2yo 83 foals 28 strs 5 wnrs 2 in 2.00 6% w/f Poor
    Ponder 2&3 106 foals 43 strs 22 wnrs 5 in 2.00 20.75% w/f Fair/Good
    Camelot Hall 2yo 16 foals 8 strs 4 wnrs 2 in 2.00 25% w/f Top
    Lis Mara 2yo 30 foals 6 strs 1 wnr 1 in 2.00 3.33% w/f Poor
    On The Attack 2yo 39 foals 5 strs 1 wnr 1 in 2.00 2.56% w/f Poor
    Sutter Hanover 2yo 34 foals 8 strs 1 wnr 0 in 2.00 Poor
    Metropolitan 27 % w/f as above

Camelot Hall was placed as Top due to the fact he didn't get outside mares. All others are only an observation by me and only reflect my thought's.
    Last edited by Greg Hando; 09-27-2012 at 12:44 AM. Reason: added text

Junior Member Yearling Nemera will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Rena Johnsen
    just curious but think you might be being a bit harsh on those with only 2yo crops racing. What are the 2yo winner to foal percentages just for the last season of some of the names ie mach Three, art major, christian cullen, bettor's delight, courage under fire just to give us a bench mark to compare to.

Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemera View Post
    just curious but think you might be being a bit harsh on those with only 2yo crops racing. What are the 2yo winner to foal percentages just for the last season of some of the names ie mach Three, art major, christian cullen, bettor's delight, courage under fire just to give us a bench mark to compare to.
    No not harsh just an observation by me and what i think and how i would grade them.
    Courage 2yos 64 foals 25 strs 8 wnrs 12.5% w/f just / fair
    Art Major 2yos 181 foals 93 strs 53 wnrs 29.28% w/f good
    M3 2yos 53 foals 41 strs 23 wnrs 43.40 % w/f top
    Cullen 2yos 19 foals 8 strs 0 wnrs 0% w/f poor
    Bettors 2yos 80 foals 49 strs 25 mnrs 31.25 % w/f top
    Last edited by Greg Hando; 09-30-2012 at 11:09 PM.

Senior Member 2YO Big Max will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ross La Spina
    Lombo pocket watch, flop.......with Jet Lagg as his dad he will always battle in my opinion

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    On The Attack only had the 39 foals but even so they didn't do much at all & that surprised me because as a racehorse he had that absolute maniac & verging on out of control high speed. He used to grab on and charge and the driver was just a passenger. I thought he might have passed some of that speed on here and there, but apparently not.

Junior Member Yearling Nemera will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Rena Johnsen
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hando View Post
    No not harsh just an observation by me and what i think and how i would grade them.
    Courage 2yos 64 foals 25 strs 8 wnrs 12.5% w/f just / fair
    Art Major 2yos 181 foals 93 strs 53 wnrs 29.28% w/f good
    M3 2yos 53 foals 41 strs 23 wnrs 43.40 % w/f top
    Cullen 2yos 19 foals 8 strs 0 wnrs 0% w/f poor
    Bettors 2yos 80 foals 49 strs 25 mnrs 31.25 % w/f top
    I must be doing something wrong as had a crack at working a couple of these out and getting different percentages. Bettor's Delight had 80 Oz bred foals but can only find 17 oz bred winners which would drop % to 21. Similar with mach three 53 foals for 18 winners, and 33%. Still good results but where am I missing the winners

Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Your right Rena i didnt take off the nz bred 2yo winners for Bettors and 16 2yo wnrs for M3 apologies.

+ Reply to Thread