Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Standing Start V Mobile Barrier

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    http://www.hrnz.co.nz/images/Pdfs/Ci...rcular1222.pdf

Brad what you say is 100%.
    I have been unable to take out and paste the particular remit from the list and post it here but the conference remits link I have posted makes interesting reading.the specific remit discussed here is remit 17. The background info for each if you find spare time for reading shows how many remits went through for the purpose of alligning our rules with yours. I have yet to see your rules being alligned to ours!!!

Your comment about Aussies buying our horses is probably true also. I fear that may soon come to an end even though our industry is in the doldrums. From a time not too many years ago when we could afford milion dollar NZ Cups etc to stakes struggling to make 10k.
    I have just returned to Nevele R night foaling shift after 2yrs sabbatical. In the 5 years I previously did this we averaged 400 foals born on farm. This year we have a roster of 149 mares to foal. Although it is still early days and this figure may increase it already includes major regular clients like franco and bromac.
    If this is to continue breeders not breeding then our racing industry will dry up and your import market will follow.
    Another interesting point...NZ harness racing last season failed to meet contract with our TAB and thus your TABs under the international race supply contract. We were unable to program the required number of races. Although weather conditions did play a part in this poor nominations lead to dropped races and abandoned meetings were a significant factor.
    Last edited by teecee; 09-27-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Junior Member Foal DBL will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    DAVID BOYD
    Occupation
    Retired
    Standing start races as far as I am concerned are a thing of the past and have no place in modern harness racing.
    I will not bet on any SS pacers races and not any Trotters events either SS or mobile.

Senior Member 3YO barney will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    brian campbell
    I must admit agree with David re stands and trotters, in younger days loved the trotter and no bigger thrill than to sit behind one that can really trot.Was told very early on the last thing you do when working a horse is to make it stand and go away from a stand.This was in the days before mobiles were the everyday thing.
    Nowdays refuse to bet on a stand or Trotters just too hard to predict.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    [QUOTE=barney;23442]I must admit agree with David re stands and trotters, in younger days loved the trotter and no bigger thrill than to sit behind one that can really trot.Was told very early on the last thing you do when working a horse is to make it stand and go away from a stand.This was in the days before mobiles were the everyday thing.
    Why do you think that is or what reason were you given for such thinking. Where I come from it is part of the breaking in process teaching the horse to stand and relax prior to the race, being able to move off on the right leg etc. It seems that maybe it's just too hard to teach a horse to stand, relax and then move away at speed eh??.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    I'm with you teecee every horse should be made stand and walk, pace or trot away from the stand i thought it was called education. A lot of horse's you see now will not stand at all without being held even for gear adjustment's.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Some people are gunna yawn when they read this but......if we had a higher percentage standing starts than we do now, say 50% of races,the horses, trainers, drivers and administrators would be more adept at the method and punters would be better informed about the prospects of the horses, trainers and drivers competing, because they'd have form would they not?

The position we are in currently is the stand is being bagged by all and sundry because we do not run them often enough.

One thing that has annoyed me for years is we, the trotting mob, keep changing things that don't need changing...

have the dogs changed they're starting procedures? NO!
    have they changed anything to stop the inevitable wipe out at the first corner? NO!

Have the gallopers changed their ridiculous starting stalls that prevent a a fair start for some? NO!
    Have they changed the distance and handicapping methods of they're big races? NO!

Sure, times change and we need to adapt to them, but the answer was never in all mobile racing and making the majority of our big races FFA's and I think any reasonably open minded person could see that.

Our game is still going down the funnel quicker than our market competitors! Time to wake up and look at ourselves from an outsiders perspective!

Cheers,
    Dan
    Last edited by Danno; 10-12-2012 at 04:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Senior Member 3YO barney will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    brian campbell
    I think going back in time more standing starts than mobiles so was imperative that a horse could step away or unless they were real good wouldnt go on.Now most races are mobiles a lot of horses wouldnt have a standing start race in there career.
    Someone on insiderail mentioned how good Chris Alford is in getting horses away from the stand guess has been around horses all his life and would have had it drummed into him patience is probably the key in educating them.

Senior Member 3YO 2minuteman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ron James
    Occupation
    General Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    I think going back in time more standing starts than mobiles so was imperative that a horse could step away or unless they were real good wouldnt go on.Now most races are mobiles a lot of horses wouldnt have a standing start race in there career.
    Someone on insiderail mentioned how good Chris Alford is in getting horses away from the stand guess has been around horses all his life and would have had it drummed into him patience is probably the key in educating them.
    Wot 'e said.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Interesting to see combined 2yo and 3yo trots from the stand eg Cranbourne tomorrow night
    The concept could create some interest in the pacers too if Stands still existed, mind you some of the flying 2yo's would not need 30m start

I have resurrected this thread, instead of making a new one, as it is an interesting read nearly 8yrs on
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread