Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Palais Du Louvre scores- congrats Paul & Luke

aussiebreno
    Paul, what everybody wants to know is where do you get a Mrs Humphreys from?

Senior Member Colt Mark Croatto will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mark croatto
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    Thanks Mark. Is that you we saw on list of nominees for an award on HRNSW awards night? If so good luck!! Cheers
    G'day Paul,

Yep, that's me. I didn't know there was a list out; where did you see it?

Regards

Mark

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Croatto View Post
    G'day Paul,

Yep, that's me. I didn't know there was a list out; where did you see it?

Regards

Mark
    This weeks Harness Racing Weekly (page 63). Cheers

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Paul, what everybody wants to know is where do you get a Mrs Humphreys from?

She doesn't take a lot of convincing for us to disappear for a few days.

Reckons it's the only time harness racing isn't the dinner topic and she gets to sit down at night and watch something other than Sky channel on telly.

Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
    Thanks Brad. National Gallery is doing an awesome job for an unsound mare. She has now had 21 starts for 10 wins 6 seconds 3thirds a fourth and a fifth. She has a huge heart and never fails to disappoint. Wish we had more like her. She is by Artsplace and we will use a recipient mare to get her in foal to RNRHANOVER this season, might as well race her as long as she stays sound. Two of our Artsplace mares have 2year old colts by RNRHanover and both are showing promise although it's early days yet. Both mares are in foal to him again this year. I was at the LBJ and National Gallery won twice, maybe it's a good excuse to holiday more often !
    Gday Mrs Anderson. Another big run again last night. Thought you were going to get there half way down the straight. She did you proud again. Excuse my ignorance but my son has a question I couldn't answer (again). He said it was about breeding but didn't mention horses at the time so sent shudders through me! Question about recipient mares so said would ask someone who is sure to know. Does National Gallery actually get in foal before the transfer is done? Or do they transfer the unfertilised eggs to the recipient mare and serve her? Cheers

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    To answer your boy's query...
    The donor mare (National Gallery) is served with the stallion's semen via AI.
    The donor mare's egg is then fertilised by this semen inside the donor mare.
    After 15 days with a positive pregnancy test of the donor mare the fertilised egg inside the uterus of the donor mare is flushed out through a filter into a petrie dish. The fertilised egg (foetus) located using a microscope (one of the most amazing sights I have been privileged, in my view to see) is then inserted into the recipient mare who will carry the foetus foal to full term and birth of a wonderful foal. The recipient mare then nurses and cares for the foal to weaning before fading from the scene so to speak.
    The foal's breeding and DNA is that of the stallion and the donor mare.

Good luck in explaining the details to your son but that is the process of successful Embryo Transfer.
    Cheers
    Last edited by teecee; 11-18-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Senior Member 2YO Bonnie will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Anne Anderson
    Occupation
    Horse Breeder /Owner
    Horses
    Ladies In Red, Hurricane Harley, Honolua
    Hi Paul
    Thanks for your comments re our girl, she certainly does her best and has pulled up well. She has gone from C0 to M3 in 10 months . Looks like we will have to go up against the boys again next week; she needs the racing. Hoping the mares race at Melton on Nov30 stands up . Should have gone to Menangle ; 5 in the mares race there last night. Can' t get away with the mares foaling ,12 on the ground 2 to go. We have 3 recipient mares with foals and they are all good ( all Sbred mares ) . Teecee 's explanation of the embryo transfer process was spot on except we flush the donor mare 6 days after she is served. NG was flushed 10 days ago and there is now a healthy embryo in a recipient mare. We are using 4 recipient mares this year .Love the breeding season , another 2weeks and it will be time to start the yearling prep for the APG Sales in Melbourne.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    Quote Originally Posted by teecee View Post
    To answer your boy's query...
    The donor mare (National Gallery) is served with the stallion's semen via AI.
    The donor mare's egg is then fertilised by this semen inside the donor mare.
    After 15 days with a positive pregnancy test of the donor mare the fertilised egg inside the uterus of the donor mare is flushed out through a filter into a petrie dish. The fertilised egg (foetus) located using a microscope (one of the most amazing sights I have been privileged, in my view to see) is then inserted into the recipient mare who will carry the foetus foal to full term and birth of a wonderful foal. The recipient mare then nurses and cares for the foal to weaning before fading from the scene so to speak.
    The foal's breeding and DNA is that of the stallion and the donor mare.

Good luck in explaining the details to your son but that is the process of successful Embryo Transfer.
    Cheers
    TC

I stand to be corrected, but Im pretty certain 15 days is too late for an embryo flush. It is generally done at 7-8 days.

aussiebreno
    Just too make it clear, fanboys are just fans, not groupies or anything like that, and don't get involved in the breeding side of things.

Also, in general, what sort of prize-money would a mare have to earn in the 12 months to make it feasible?

Senior Member 2YO Bonnie will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Anne Anderson
    Occupation
    Horse Breeder /Owner
    Horses
    Ladies In Red, Hurricane Harley, Honolua
    It depends on your choice of stallion and how much you wish to spend on a service fee. If I am using a recipient mare I always select a highly credentialed stallion . Rocknroll Hanovers service fee is $11000. Vet fees for scanning , testing etc and embryo retrieval ,placement in recipient mare and the continuation of her pregnancy is approx$1000.
    When the recipient mare has held the pregnancy for 42 days she becomes the responsibility of the of the donor mares owner. I then pay $2200 to ' rent' the mare for 18 months from our Vet. Because we have our own farm our costs for looking after the mare are minimal. I do not consider it an expensive exercise to obtain an early foal from a good racemare or from a mare that can not carry a foal full term.

+ Reply to Thread