+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Premium Gold Sale????

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    Sale average was $28000, fillies average was $22000, so colts average was 34000. In other words, fillies avg was 35% below that of the colts

Thats ridiculous.

I dont know what needs to be done, but something has to happen

Flashing Red
    Isn't that strange, the difference. If I ever had the money, I wouldn't mind spending up on a filly, because if she isn't much good you can still breed from her and she may still end a good broodmare.

A colt, however... if he's no good well then you are NEVER going to recoup the money!

That's my outlook, anyway. Not as risky with fillies IMHO

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Hi Mightymo,
    This years results are what I was expecting to have happened at last years sale. The fillies average sale price is always below that of the colts at all the yearling sale around the world. I agree with Flashing Reds post, and as a breeder I find it hard to understand the value that most fillies bring at auction. As Flashing Red stated they do have a re-sale value, even if unraced and just on their pedigree alone. Bugger that's the problem, I am thinking like a breeder and not like most buyers/trainers who could not give a crap about breeding foals/yearlings.IMHO
    Questions- Do fillies/mares race for less money?
    - Have the service fees on new stallions increased at a faster rate over the last 5-10 years than prize money= the value of our yearlings?

2011 (90 lots) the total? 35 fillies

2010 (75 Lots) $2,561,500 23 fillies

2009 (70 Lots) $2,524,000 32 fillies

TripleV123,
    I thought the same thing the sale results did not look like a premium sale.
    $10,000 is the costs for us, without the service fee. Add the service fee and it looks a tough business to be in
    Last edited by justdoit; 02-06-2011 at 10:02 AM.

triplev123
    G'day Mango,

Again, like the issues some Vendors apparently had with stabling down there, down to the wire the whole thing goes and then all of a sudden on sale day people notice there will not be any Webcast??????
    Like yourself I would very much prefer that there be an obligatory webcast for every APG sale from every venue every year however the time to have raised with the APG the subject of there not being one in place this time around was back before Christmas at least or even further back again when nominations were first being called for and accepted.
    I can only speak for my own experiences in that these guys are neither deaf nor blind. They may not neccessarily agree with but they will listen to your concerns & if enough people have similar objections or requirements then of course they will look into making changes. There are a few things I'd like to see changed or improved upon...but that's just business. Nothing in any area of endeavour should ever be allowed to become static...because once you come to a halt that's as good as going backwards & the next move from a halt is definitely bacwards.
    Maybe every year there should be a Sales Company/Vendor/Preparer review of proceedings?
    Something formalised where Vendor/Preparer concerns are committed to paper and put forward to the Sales Company and they'd have to address those concerns by answering in a similar fashion... or something along those lines? Just a thought. Personally I dread committees and the like...the saying that "A Camel is a horse put together by a Committee" is for mine one of the great truths of life, however when needs must.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Triplev123
    I didn't no there wouldnt be any web cast and if i had of known before chirstmas i would of e-mailed them as to find out why. The talk at the sale's is that the A.P.G does what ever suits them without any consultation with breeders/vendor/preparer a lot werent happy with the scrapping of the 3yo series as not all horses are 2yr old's. I think you have made a valid point where people should be able to air there concerns in a letter and then for it to be discussed i would also like to see some of the bigger vendors sit in on these meetings to give there view. A gentleman from a stud farm rang the A.P.G about the dropping of the 3yr old series and there reply to him was read the front of the sale book as we can do what ever we want when we want. And another gentleman said when these horses were nominated for theses sales there were 3yr old series he then said i wonder how you would go if you wanted to challenge it legally as i know nothing about the legal system my answer was i don't no.

triplev123
    G'day Mango,

The 3yo Series should never, ever have come into being in the first place. Perhaps they were or perhaps they felt obliged to try it but with nowhere near enough initial support via 3yo sustainers followed by just 17 nominations when the Heats & Finals roll around, from there on in it was always going to be in the corss hairs.
    The APG initially was and it should always have remained a 2yo series. It was never meant to be anything more.
    It's somewhat beside the point however another interesting fact to consider is that of all the 3yo Finals to have been conducted, how many do you think were won by the Cinderella Story at 2yrs lightly raced or unraced...3yo? To my knowledge to date none of the 3yo Finals thus far have been won by a horse that did not race at 2yrs and more often than not the 2yo 1-2-3 finishers are the same bunch of horses again at 3yrs. Happy to be corrected there but I've wracked the old grey matter and I can't think of a single horse who came with a clean slate at 3yrs to win the 3yo Final. The argument that 'they are not all 2yos' is quite true however for the purposes of this race, to my knowledge it has proven to be furphy.

Flashing Red
    APG have been robbing people for years. The 2yo races have remained 300k for ages, yet it has dramatically become more expensive to pay up for it. I had this big long post typed up when this issue was first raised and lost it so I didn't bother with it. It showed how over the years, APG have been taking more and more money (fee related, like with buy backs, sustaining payments, etc) yet the prizemoney for 2yos doesn't increase. Breeders Crown makes periodic raising to all their races. My bet was that APG was just waiting for BC to catch up with them re stakes amount, now that they have they will do something about it.

One is much, much better paying $300 to race in the 150k Seymour series, than thousands of dollars to race in the APG 300k race. I don't know what people you have been hanging around Triplev, but I'm with Mango on this - the industry (or participants I have spoken to) have not had much good to say about the APG for a number of years. Biggest beef of all was prizemoney being so static, yet the fees involved increasing substantially. Scrapping the 3yo series, whether there was suppose to be a 3yo series at all to start off with or not, will be the death knell for APG, IMHO. Unless they make (and they SHOULD make) the 2yo finals AT LEAST 400k. Which I can't see happening. APG use to be the most prestigious series in Australia. I believe that Breeders Crown has already taken over. Should APG want to try and return to their former glory, nothing less than 400k 2yo races will do, if they want to scrap the 3yo ones.

triplev123
    G'day Flashing,

EXCELLENT POINT about the prizemoney having remained static for years. It has been 300k total for a long, long time and given that in terms of costs everything else has increased that's something that needs to be addressed. Could not agree more.

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Hi TripleV123, I did by mistake think that APG would have a live feed of the sales.
    It could have been that they claim to be the forward thinkers in the industry that I was incorrect.
    I think its time for a change (On the Board)

buster
    1. the beer was warm, very disappointing lol
    2. fillys were ridiculous, i would never ever take one there, they were just giving them away (i agree with flash, they are just as good money spinners because they dont have to race colts at 2 or 3 when the good money is on anyway)
    3. i know for a fact a buyer missed a lot because he couldnt get a live feed and had trouble ringing someone in time to buy it for him
    4. thought it was very rude how they treated some larger buyers, they were just begging underbidders to go one higher because they knew the other would keep going

+ Reply to Thread