Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Ok seriously what are you Australians giving your horses?

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    It's not Harness related but this thread caused me to recall one of the funniest assumed 'origin' related things I've ever seen on TV. A commentator asked this footballer in one of those on the field after the game live-to-air interviews how he felt about missing out on the Indigenous All-Stars team or some such thing...and the bloke looked stunned & said he wasn't even in the running because he wasn't Aboriginal, he just had very tanned olive skin from being out in the sun all the time. Priceless. The moral is never assume anything.
    Lol! Another similar story, in Matty John's book he says how he and Andrew were invited to an Indigenous Luncheon. They went, and felt honoured they were the only white blokes invited. Then they got asked to do a speech on the difficulties Indigenous players have in making the NRL!

triplev123
    Funny blokes. I used to encounter Andrew & Co. in the Cricketer's Arms up in Newcastle from time to time, it was their (the team's) favourite watering hole for quite a while, the proprietor at the time (Dave) was very tight with the Newcastle Club. Anyway, for the most part AJ was off his head back then & wouldn't have known which way was up let alone if he was or was not Indigenous. That his chemical abuse went on for so long before it finally came to a head and something had to be done about it was a damning indictment of the media, both local and State-wide, as well as the NRL & the management of the Club at the time. They ALL knew there was a problem, half the town of Newcastle knew that there was a problem...they'd see the bloke around town every week/weekend and out of his mind, but individually and collectively they aided & abetted it by looking the other way. Sorry for the off-topic. Just something that stirred the blood.

+ Reply to Thread