Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Harness Racing is sinking fast

Member Yearling geoffkel will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Geoff Parsons

Harness Racing is sinking fast

As much as I don't want to look at it Harness Racing is dying a slow painful death.

http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=19059

I know there are a couple of once offs but still would have made a large loss.

Something needs to be done and done now!!!!!

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    HRV could start with a smarter upper management. The old ones seemed to have a better plan of attack but stood on a few toes along the way and got outed.
    They may start by looking within, they now have the highly successful past CEO of Christchurch working there.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Boys, the way I read the media release and without looking at the full financial report, of the $6.3 million turnaround, $3.6 million was money spent on development of Swan Hill and Cranbourne. Surely, this can't be a bad thing. There would be a few banana benders who would sell their own mothers for a whiff of investment of ANY monetary value in their state. Prizemoney is solid and fields are strong in Vic. Their country cups were well attended. You only have to look at SA harness racing to see an industry that really is struggling.

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    Brad, you are correct in what you point out but don't forget HRV has for many years been the strongest State and clearly the model other States aimed to copy. They enjoy State Govt support. Over the years they have always lead the way in track development. Something is wrong and the worry is their strong base will be eroded. I have been told the deal with the TAB was not a smart one......somebody blinked to quickly in negotiations.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Hi Bailey, you guys obviously know more about what is going on in your backyard than I do.

Maybe this latest bit of news of Tabcorps successful appeal against Sportsbet might translate into more $$$'s

http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=101273
    Last edited by broncobrad; 10-13-2012 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Typed HRV instead of Tabcorp (Dummy)

Senior Member 3YO barney will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    brian campbell
    One way to ensure harness racing becomes a more attractive proposition to the punter who is lifeblood of the sport is to have profesinal drivers in Tab meetings.I know this wont happen as the owner trainer driver which makes up a big portion of the sport would have to give up the driving part and that wont happen.
    Until it does the sport will stagnate

Member Yearling geoffkel will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Geoff Parsons
    Quote Originally Posted by broncobrad View Post
    Boys, the way I read the media release and without looking at the full financial report, of the $6.3 million turnaround, $3.6 million was money spent on development of Swan Hill and Cranbourne. Surely, this can't be a bad thing. There would be a few banana benders who would sell their own mothers for a whiff of investment of ANY monetary value in their state. Prizemoney is solid and fields are strong in Vic. Their country cups were well attended. You only have to look at SA harness racing to see an industry that really is struggling.
    TAB Distribution still down 2 mill on last year.

Prizemoney has not gone up in Vic for god knows how many years. Win a race and get $2800 bloody hell 2-3 months training fees. How many win a race every 2-3 months!!!

Member Gelding Tangles will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mj mcmillian
    I can't see a future for harness racing in SA.

1#There is an ageing demographic of participants
    2#Poor Prize money
    3#Inability to repackage and market the product by the controlling bodies to a younger urbanised society.
    4#Training of future participants centralised at Morphetville.
    5#Centralisation of racing.

Victoria has more hope with it's model of de-centralised racing but ....
    #1 Prize money for country fronts has stagnated
    #2 Poor return for breeders, incentive scheme needed to race mares/fillies
    #3 Costs continue to climb
    #4 Country cups carnivals has been a outstanding success but needs to be expanded

+ Reply to Thread