Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: One less

Senior Member 4YO Thevoiceofreason has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Bill Williams
    Occupation
    Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by broncobrad View Post
    I wonder if anyone thought to brief the Minister whilst all the cloak and dagger stuff was being carried out. Maybe someone in Victoria could tell us for sure, but from where I sit, Napthine DOES seem to take an active interest in all things racing, loves a photo op and has been delivering on promises. It would be a tad personally embarrassing for him I would think to have been left out of the loop. Between the Stewards, the Integrity mob and the Minister, who is talking to who?

All that said, it has still been an exercise in hush hush, while Olly got to reap further rewards for his crimes. I wonder if the prizemoney he has earned over the carnival is rightfully his because of a deal that had been struck through this 'without prejudice' stuff (never heard of anything like this before, how common would this stuff be Bill). In other quarters these ill-gotten gains could be argued to be proceeds/profits from possible criminal activity, thats not an accusation, that is an observation.

Thanks for the facts Bill. Why do you dismiss outright that the new proposals will not happen?

Report on RacingNSW today

REPORT ON ISSUES DECIDED AT ARB BOARD MEETING
    ON 22 NOVEMBER, 2012
    1. Reform of penalties
    The Board considered a paper by Racing NSW on the introduction of minimum penalties
    for serious integrity breaches given that penalties have been eroded over a period of time
    by appellant bodies. Racing NSW rightly submitted that the customer must have complete
    and continuing confidence in the integrity of the industry. The Board agreed to a new
    regime of stronger penalties in 2013 noting that the rights and interests of all parties need
    to be taken into account and penalties structured to provide procedural fairness as well as
    a deterrent value. The level of penalties and their method of introduction will be
    considered by each Principal Racing Authority taking into account the advice of their
    integrity departments and stewards with a decision by the Board next January.

a slowing one thinks

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    As a slow learner (moi), do you read this as a handbrake to reform because of the timetable and various jurisdictions coming up with all sorts of reasons not to change? Because I read it as an admission by the ARB that the penalties of today do not fit the crime (considering the appeals processes) and a review is in order and they are taking the matter seriously.

Real Name
    Bill Williams
    Occupation
    Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by broncobrad View Post
    As a slow learner (moi), do you read this as a handbrake to reform because of the timetable and various jurisdictions coming up with all sorts of reasons not to change? Because I read it as an admission by the ARB that the penalties of today do not fit the crime (considering the appeals processes) and a review is in order and they are taking the matter seriously.
    I think they are worried how some of the appellant boards will view mandatory sentencing especially with the current penalties being in place for so long. also how does the penalty for betting on another runner in race in which you are riding, compare to the jockey who when on holidays and at the pub has $10 on one.... there is a long way to go and I think they recognise that,

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Thevoiceofreason View Post
    I think they are worried how some of the appellant boards will view mandatory sentencing especially with the current penalties being in place for so long. also how does the penalty for betting on another runner in race in which you are riding, compare to the jockey who when on holidays and at the pub has $10 on one.... there is a long way to go and I think they recognise that,
    According to one bloke I had a run in with on another forum, they don't differ. He even wanted jockeys banned from licenced venues

Real Name
    Bill Williams
    Occupation
    Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    According to one bloke I had a run in with on another forum, they don't differ. He even wanted jockeys banned from licenced venues
    The trouble is Brendan is they do not vary and that is what makes the current proposal in my view unworkable. For goodness sake how can they be the same offence, this is officialdom gone mad.

Real Name
    Bill Williams
    Occupation
    Manager
    Earlier in this thread there was some discussion in relation to the different approach taken in Victoria in relation to the D Nikolic case and the D Oliver case..... perhaps todays proceedings may shed even further light on the attitude of one D Nikolic.

Steward claims Nikolic made more threats

Former Tasmanian chief steward Wade Hadley has accused embattled jockey Danny Nikolic of threatening and intimidating him during the rider’s on-going appeal hearing at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Appeals tribunal.
    Hadley, who recently joined the Racing Victoria stewards team was on the panel at Seymour on September 4 when Nikolic was accused of threatening chief steward Terry Bailey.

Hadley told the VCAT hearing on Thursday that Nikolic had sat next to the steward outside the VCAT office during a recess in evidence and said, "You are going up in the world. Let’s see where you end up. Look at you, you are a f****** fine specimen of a human being. You are all tarred with the same brush. You can't even make f****** eye contact."

Racing Victoria’s legal counsel Phillip Dunn also told the hearing that Nikolic had "clicked his tongue like a gun sound" on two occasions in the vicinity of Hadley.

Judge Michael Macnamara adjourned the matter until December 11. Racing Victoria’s legal counsel has requested CCTV footage from outside the VCAT office in an attempt to gain evidence of their allegations.

+ Reply to Thread