+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vision

Senior Member Colt Big K will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Kevin Spurr
    Horses
    Bonavista Bay, Shoobees Place

Vision

Geez I get really peeved watching most races at GP.When the horses enter the backstraight and the field is spread out,they open up the lens and take in the whole field for the whole straight.Its like watching ants race and I think about getting some binoculars by my chair so I can watch them race down that straight on tv,and on a small track its just ridiculous.At an outreach program conducted by RWWA I raised this question and I was told that a certain big punter wanted it that way,he wanted to see all the horses!!!.To my mind it detracts to the spectacle of harness racing.I dont think any other States do this and in my opinion watching the Kiwi's races is the best.You can almost see them picking there noses while you can view the whole field down the back.Com'on WA,promote harness racing with good vision.

Cheers K

Senior Member Colt Chariots will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ray Coote
    This is where punters and owners/connections tend to disagree. I am definitely not the big punter who has asked for full field vision but I must say I prefer it personally. Even worse from my point of view is the close up shot of a horse well clear of the field in the home straight leaving us with no idea what horses are likely to be placed. Two groups fund the industry, owners and punters and finding the balance is never easy.

A wide angle shot of the majority of the field in the home straight should be a no brainer but the vision of the Kamwood Laughter finish last week was a disgrace.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    When my hard earned is back in the field and struggling or locked up hopeless and probing for run, I like to see whats going on. Sure, hone in on the pointy end over the last 150 or so, but if I can't see how that horse was travelling and am just relying on the callers run-on call, it doesn't give me much insight into what that horse may have been capable of or what may have contributed to a poor performance.

Definitely reckon camera operators that zoom in on the first couple for extended periods have no idea what punters and owners are looking for in coverage.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    The Kiwis have got the right formula in my opinion, the split screen.... close up on the lower half and full field ( or there abouts) on the upper. IMO the best way to watch it if you cant be on course.

Senior Member Colt Big K will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Kevin Spurr
    Horses
    Bonavista Bay, Shoobees Place
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    The Kiwis have got the right formula in my opinion, the split screen.... close up on the lower half and full field ( or there abouts) on the upper. IMO the best way to watch it if you cant be on course.
    Spot on! thats really what I was alluding to.Why in this day and age we cant have the best vision available for all concerned just surprises me.The football codes know how important vision is and have been proactive in implementing new dimensions for the viewing public.Understandably there are more intracacies in that game but surely we can showcase harness racing in the best possible way by having the best vision.

Cheers K

Senior Member 3YO 2minuteman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ron James
    Occupation
    General Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Big K View Post
    Spot on! thats really what I was alluding to.Why in this day and age we cant have the best vision available for all concerned just surprises me.The football codes know how important vision is and have been proactive in implementing new dimensions for the viewing public.Understandably there are more intracacies in that game but surely we can showcase harness racing in the best possible way by having the best vision.

Cheers K
    Fully agree that NZ is good.Problem here is that the broadcasts are a monopoly and if you don't like it,get stuffed.

Senior Member Colt Chariots will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ray Coote
    I think you will find that when Sky trialled the split screen in Australia they had nothing but complaints based on the fact that the whole of field shot was too small for anyone to pick out individual horses and how they were travelling.

All the bells and whistle shots are for the once a year punters not for those that bet all year round and study replays.

Junior Member Yearling Nemera will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Rena Johnsen
    With NZ switching to Digital a lot of people are switching to bigger high Definition TV's so the split screen is clear and viewable. Just loving the technology

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Sometimes forget how spoiled we are in this day and age as far as vision is concerned. Once upon a time the ABC used to replay the events at Harold Park late on Friday night for us. In the seventies and prior to that, we would all stand under large loudspeakers while listening to racecallers from other states doing there best. Our only vision then was that of our toes drawing shapes in the gravel underfoot, completely at the mercy of the caller.

Last night, no Sky vision available on my computer when I checked out the Penrith trots. Not even (in desperation) a radio call available via the media centre and I believe the problem has not been resolved. You don't realise how spoilt we are for access until it all turns black.

The Mrs even noticed my misfortune by saying "gee, your chatty tonight dear"

Hope they get this bug ironed out for Menangle today and Melton tonight. Two nights of conversation in a row may well be too much to bear. I don't care if the image is grainy, in black and white or breaks up or fades in and out. Just give us something.

+ Reply to Thread