Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bookies - Brave or Butter?

aussiebreno

Bookies - Brave or Butter?

Griffith NON TAB, so whoever the bookies were couldn't lay back into either the tote (low liquidity on track) or on Betfair (or anywhere else).

Race1: 165%
    Race2: 160%
    Race3: 160%
    Race4: 180%
    Race5: 190%
    Race6: 140%

By the last they'd won that much money they could afford to finally give a little bit of a fair go at 140%.
    Races 1-3 are shameful. Races 4 and 5 should see them behind bars. That's criminal, it really is. For anybody to bet with them they deserve to lose their money. How many more years until on course bookies are just a distant memory?

People complain about 140%. I've learnt to expect that around the Riverina - hence I bet on my phone or with the tote. But still, 160%..really? 190%.. WOW. Biggest take out I've ever seen. Department of fair trading job or what?

Edit: I didn't go to Griffith, was just looking up the results and noticed the short prices.

aussiebreno
    For the benefit of those who don't know where Griffith is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griffith,_New_South_Wales

I probably should also send that link to HRNSW along with a detailed map pointing out Griffith is 2 hours away from Wagga and most horses that race at Wagga will also race at Griffith.

I assume those at HRNSW don't know where Griffith is, otherwise why would they schedule Griffiths Carnival of Cups the day after a Wagga race meeting which has the $10K Menangle Country heats?

Member Gelding Tangles will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mj mcmillian
    I'm amazed that with what's been the recent history of harness racing in NSW that anybody would field on a meeting. The bookies you have left actually must be a brave or well informed lot.

aussiebreno
    At Junee NON TAB on Sat night it pains me to say I had $5EW on race at a market of 190%. The local tote pool had less than $50 in it and the horse was already short enough without my cash.

They're doing themselves a dis-service, I and others in the ring backed away from betting or reduced our bet amounts.

aussiebreno
    A big laugh in the Wagga paper last weekend. Ahead of the Wagga Cup last week the paper got the local bookie to frame a market that went to print. He had Nowitzki at $2, Teo Enteo at $4 and others higher priced. The market was about 130%. I laughed knowing that those prices wouldn't be offered. Sure enough come race night the rest of the field was close enough to the prices he had in the paper but Nowitzki was $1.60!

Member Gelding doncht will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Don Chet
    So, were there people who went for this then?

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    Brave bookie story. Took some cold hard into the TAB earlier this evening. Tried to place a two leg multi Lennytheshark $1.60 into a h2h @ $1.80 for the Tour de France. Brave bookies alarm bells ring and it seems the most I can get on is $669. Manager who seems like quite a nice guy says let try and put the bet on a few times at $600, sometimes works he says. Nope, first try rejected. I leave with my tail between my legs.
    To then listen to Adam Hamilton's dribble about 'big money' coming for this and that is quite laughable. Weak as p...

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Anybody got this week's HarnessRacingWeekly? I read it while at the TAB tonight and on page 2 they have the Bets of the Week. It was interesting to read how the bet of the week punter /stable (I think it was Beetson?) kept coming but only got hundreds on at $4 (I think) but kept putting $ks on Odds On
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread