Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: thornyyyyyy

Junior Member Weanling Camber on the bend will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Jackson are you sure about that? So you as the trainer (I gather only you can sign for the horses blood samples) can see exactly what they are testing for. That is crazy. So in some ways a trainer can see this and know what is being tested for.

I gather by the way you discuss some of these people that you are in the Riverina. Where are you training out of? Your not Trev White are you?

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Megasam NZ View Post
    Jackson Grant,

I pose another query. Why should the great trainer, B J Kelly, have been disqualified on his way to the races at Cobram with Greg, Greg Kelly, even though he HADNT administered a prohibited substance.

Admitedly, he did have the stomach tube etc, in his posession, but how was anyone to know it was to be used on Greg?
    Probably possesion with intent or maybe just possesion of a prohibeted substance.

Also, technology can only be so good. They could be using a drug that a test hasnt been found for yet.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Probably possesion with intent or maybe just possesion of a prohibeted substance.

Also, technology can only be so good. They could be using a drug that a test hasnt been found for yet.
    Hi aussiebreno, could you or somebody put me in the picture here. Over he in the west I'm under the assumption they are freezing swabs for future testing down the track,when technology becomes available to test for the drugs that are undetectable at present. Is that the case over in the east? I've always been a little cynical to exactly how many samples are tested and for what, especially from a horse that has returned a negative or two. They are fairly costly to test and with the hundreds of swabs that's a fair amount and no doubt with all clubs they are looking to save money. I don't know how much blood they take for a sample but if its anything like human blood samples, to test for a number of irregularities the Doc will require quite a few vials of blood to cover it all. so to do a complete test for perhaps nine substances you would need a fair amount of blood. I've always thought it is the threat of being caught down the track that may deter the drug cheats and to save the clubs a lot of money - as i have said, I am cynical.

Junior Member Weanling Camber on the bend will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Maybe Jackson Grant knows what happens in that regard. I have always seen several vials taken but I don't get to the stables much these days so haven't seen the procedure in recent years.

Jackson do they take several vials of blood? Maybe they take a different vial for a different test (thats why one may have been marked TC02).

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Atom View Post
    Hi aussiebreno, could you or somebody put me in the picture here. Over he in the west I'm under the assumption they are freezing swabs for future testing down the track,when technology becomes available to test for the drugs that are undetectable at present. Is that the case over in the east? I've always been a little cynical to exactly how many samples are tested and for what, especially from a horse that has returned a negative or two. They are fairly costly to test and with the hundreds of swabs that's a fair amount and no doubt with all clubs they are looking to save money. I don't know how much blood they take for a sample but if its anything like human blood samples, to test for a number of irregularities the Doc will require quite a few vials of blood to cover it all. so to do a complete test for perhaps nine substances you would need a fair amount of blood. I've always thought it is the threat of being caught down the track that may deter the drug cheats and to save the clubs a lot of money - as i have said, I am cynical.
    Im sure Buster or VVV may give better answers but Ill give it a shot anyway!
    They do freeze swabs. For a set number of years maybe 5 or 7 not quite sure. They take several blood samples pre race; although in the Riverina it seems they only do post race urine of the winner. Vic is more diligent in their testing; at least in the Country circuit. Dont know what they are tested for probably Bi Carb, TC02, Blue Magic, Saline, EPO or whatever else is banned and they have tests for. I think Buster said in another thread EPO is expensive to test for ..dont quote me though....
    Take about 6 vials of blood from memory.
    As the saying goes the crims are always ahead of the cops. Snake venom or god knows what is being used first has to come to the attention of testers and then has to have a test made...which imo would be a lengthy process.

Junior Member Weanling Jackson Grant will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Yes they still take 5 vials from memory.

And mighty atom, I like you are very cynical of how many are actually tested and how many are frozen for testing later. In Victoria very recently there was a case involving a mistfud and a positive that was returned from a frozen sample. I still don't know how many of these tests are done.

Junior Member Weanling Jackson Grant will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    I think aussiebreno could be right with the 6 vials actually

buster
    maybe the stewards panel can enlighten you guys...seeing as they read this forum

Junior Member Foal Cane Smoke will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Occupation
    Trader
    In response to Thorny comments.
    I am very late to this forum business - infact just broken my virginity.
    Whether it is Kennedy, Thorn, Gath, Hancock or Peace one should not be punishing untill there is any wrong doing. If it is proven then these guys fall on their sword.
    We should be encouraging success. Harness racing has always struggled with this.
    It sound like they have tried to catch the Thorns many times but to no avail.
    Is it not a case of a guy who has toiled for years - was well taught - fundamentally is a good horseman - is now having some luck via better horses / owners and more importantly not having to transport his stable 80kms to HP. Alot needs to be said for racing in your backyard which for Thorn is home soil. Interesting that his horses seem to go better for other drivers (not sure what the ratio is).

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Welcome Cane Smoke, One should never accuse any stable or trainer of any wrongdoing, apart from the fact that you may have some form of litigation on your hands it is all supposition. On saying that, one would be naive to believe that horses racing today are not receiving medicinal help. I refrain from using the word drugs because it conjures up a more sinister image.It defies logic that with the high pressure racing of today, shorter recovery periods etc. that the horse can overcome these problems naturally.
    The chances of escaping a positive from a prohibitive substance really depends on what is being tested for. Back in the day's of my involvement in standardbreds( 70's, 80's & early 90's ) the analytical laboratories,particularly over here in the West had an enormous headache trying to keep up with the detection of illegal substances let alone getting ahead of it. I know what was being used, administration times and methods etc because I was involved in it. The chances of avoiding detection today are a lot more difficult even with the highly sophisticated drugs because of huge advances in detecting methods, but as I have previously said it depends on what they are and aren't looking for. That is why the possibility of your horse procuring a positive in a post test i.e. frozen swabs, I think is the best scenario for cleaner racing. I could write a book on this subject and you would probably have trouble believing it.

+ Reply to Thread