Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Inadverdant Mistake?

Senior Member 3YO 2minuteman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ron James
    Occupation
    General Gadfly

Smile Inadverdant Mistake?

Reading Chris Root's column this morning,he referred to the "Inter Tabcorp Dominion".
    Now I know that it was a mistake (???) but it is typical of the cock-up that is the revamped version of a time honoured series we all loved. that was called the Interdominion's Championship.I think that Chris was probably correct the first time.
    Speaking of cock-ups,went to Ticketeck to book for the final of whatever we call it these days (it is NOT an Interdominion),booked tickets then an hour later got a call from Ticketeck saying that they would have to change my seats as the club (Menangle) had not sent a seating plan as it was not yet finalised, but it would be available later that day (19/11).At the time of writing (25/11)there is no seating map,in fact,there is no listing for the event at all.Why do I get the impression that this mob could not organise a naughty in a Baghdad brothel on navy pay night?

aussiebreno
    Was it an inadvertant mistake in the title I can't tell lol!

Agree with the post. Maybe he is like me and couldn't bare to call it an Interdominion so have to put Tabcorp in the middle. It's the Ben Hur invitational in my books.

But while you're speaking of cock-ups, where is this place in Baghdad exactly?

Real Name
    Ron James
    Occupation
    General Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Was it an inadvertant mistake in the title I can't tell lol! Yes it is.Silly mistake.

Agree with the post. Maybe he is like me and couldn't bare to call it an Interdominion so have to put Tabcorp in the middle. It's the Ben Hur invitational in my books.

But while you're speaking of cock-ups, where is this place in Baghdad exactly?
    Would you really need a map?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Boys, as a traditionalist, I also struggle with the loss of the three heats/final that we are used to. But it is gone, the new format is here and no matter what they call it, we all know what it is. Not that long ago they ran the Flying K, I thought something different can't be that bad, it wasn't an outstanding success but some trainers/drivers openly supported it. There were always going to be different views on the new design of the series, maybe its time to just sit back and accept it and see how it unfolds...the good horses aren't going to stay home are they?

30 odd years ago someone thought lets change the Qld/Nsw league match to State Of Origin after interest had dropped off, minimal crowd attendances etc and look at what we have got now. (Thats 7 in a row now you sad-arsed cockroaches if you can't count). Point being, in a sport that needs to keep evolving to retain public interest and financial support, and as much as it galls me to say it, the reverence of the Inter Dom as we know it does not transcend to the general populous as it once used to, someone had to be brave enough to do something different. Brenden, what do you think? Is it just the name that annoys you? In my case its the loss of heats that pips me. And Ron, when you eventually get those tickets, I reckon (I hope) you will say that you were glad you were there.

Senior Member 4YO Thevoiceofreason has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Bill Williams
    Occupation
    Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by broncobrad View Post
    Boys, as a traditionalist, I also struggle with the loss of the three heats/final that we are used to. But it is gone, the new format is here and no matter what they call it, we all know what it is. Not that long ago they ran the Flying K, I thought something different can't be that bad, it wasn't an outstanding success but some trainers/drivers openly supported it. There were always going to be different views on the new design of the series, maybe its time to just sit back and accept it and see how it unfolds...the good horses aren't going to stay home are they?

30 odd years ago someone thought lets change the Qld/Nsw league match to State Of Origin after interest had dropped off, minimal crowd attendances etc and look at what we have got now. (Thats 7 in a row now you sad-arsed cockroaches if you can't count). Point being, in a sport that needs to keep evolving to retain public interest and financial support, and as much as it galls me to say it, the reverence of the Inter Dom as we know it does not transcend to the general populous as it once used to, someone had to be brave enough to do something different. Brenden, what do you think? Is it just the name that annoys you? In my case its the loss of heats that pips me. And Ron, when you eventually get those tickets, I reckon (I hope) you will say that you were glad you were there.
    This is slightly off topic but one thing I have learned over the years is how parochial Queenslanders are and they all tell you what a great place it is and how good at footy they are ... Blah Blah Blah,..... funny thing so many of them can not wait to get out of the place and the last time I looked Brad Maclean is a few hours south of the Queensland border...

The reason State Of Origin started was because all the good players had left Queensland and under the old rules were not eligible to play for Queensland ( another instance of great place this Queensland lets get out of here quick its so good)

So in the spirit of VVV to help everyone understand how a Queenslanders mind works I suggest you have a look at this youtube clip it does put things into a true perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbgShiaal6E

Real Name
    Brad Leach
    If we win a couple its all good fun, but now we have one the last seven, you guys are just plain narky about it.

Thats a great clip, songs says it all, Queensland IS bigger than most people think.

aussiebreno
    Great clip VOR!

Brad, I'll compare it to cricket.

When cricket played around with its format and made them one day games and 20 over games instead of 5 day games they did not insult fans by calling them ODIs or Twenty20s Test matches. Why am I being insulted now?
    I didn't know the series was old and stale, the last two years Network 10 even covered it IIRC. Regardless, who the hell is the target market and how is this format supposed to benefit Harness racing more?
    I'm a bit lost as to how to answer the above question. I will have a guess below but if anybody knows please do tell.
    Albion Park, Melton, Gloucester Park Inter heats won't differ much from the FFA fields we see each week. Those clubs, although they'd be happy to have the heats, won't actually gain all that much. Punters/fans don't gain much either, we see it every week. Same story in NZ, it will be the same FFA horses going around. It might have a few people knocking off early Friday to catch the NZ heats. Was it an idea that spreading the heats around would make those clubs a small fortune?
    It also saves some trainers and owners travelling costs. But then again they miss out on a mighty big experience.
    New fans? I follow the industry but can't make sense of the format, how is someone who doesn't follow the industry supposed to make sense of it?

Come final night it will 'just' be another grand circuit race. Just another Twenty20 match, no glory, blood, guts, courage and class of a Michael Clark double century, just a sloggish, inconsistent, hit and miss, quickfire century from Dave Warner. Still good to watch, but not in the same ballpark as a traditional Inter.

If I wasn't insulted that this was an Interdom, and it was merely a Menangle grand circuit race under this format I'd be applauding them. It's a great idea. It's just not an Interdominion.

Real Name
    Ron James
    Occupation
    General Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Great clip VOR!

Brad, I'll compare it to cricket.

When cricket played around with its format and made them one day games and 20 over games instead of 5 day games they did not insult fans by calling them ODIs or Twenty20s Test matches. Why am I being insulted now?
    I didn't know the series was old and stale, the last two years Network 10 even covered it IIRC. Regardless, who the hell is the target market and how is this format supposed to benefit Harness racing more?
    I'm a bit lost as to how to answer the above question. I will have a guess below but if anybody knows please do tell.
    Albion Park, Melton, Gloucester Park Inter heats won't differ much from the FFA fields we see each week. Those clubs, although they'd be happy to have the heats, won't actually gain all that much. Punters/fans don't gain much either, we see it every week. Same story in NZ, it will be the same FFA horses going around. It might have a few people knocking off early Friday to catch the NZ heats. Was it an idea that spreading the heats around would make those clubs a small fortune?
    It also saves some trainers and owners travelling costs. But then again they miss out on a mighty big experience.
    New fans? I follow the industry but can't make sense of the format, how is someone who doesn't follow the industry supposed to make sense of it?

Come final night it will 'just' be another grand circuit race. Just another Twenty20 match, no glory, blood, guts, courage and class of a Michael Clark double century, just a sloggish, inconsistent, hit and miss, quickfire century from Dave Warner. Still good to watch, but not in the same ballpark as a traditional Inter.

If I wasn't insulted that this was an Interdom, and it was merely a Menangle grand circuit race under this format I'd be applauding them. It's a great idea. It's just not an Interdominion.

What he said.

Real Name
    Brad Leach
    As I watch the final hour of an intrigueing Test Match and read through your comments Brenden, it is not hard to see where you are coming from. Good points in regard to target market, the 'loss' of the Inter experience (tough qualifying heats with the blood and guts) as we know it, but the fact is its here for 3 years and has replaced the previous format. I agree with you entirely, it shouldn't be called the Inter and you shouldn't feel insulted. But it is.

Cannot bring myself to watch Twenty/Twenty, and can only just tolerate 50 over stuff, but on the fifth day, last hour, injuries, twists and turns and no-one can say what the result might be, well that is what makes Test match cricket just magic.

aussiebreno
    Me and a workmate didn't get much work done hitting refresh on the live updates today! De Plussis will be a national icon after one game. A big performance from him. Spewing I wasn't home on the couch watching it, but the last 30mins that I got to watch was great nevertheless. Siddle a big effort but the South Africans managed to do enough.

I'll still support the ID, and I plan to make a trip up to Menangle for the final. I went when Blackie won it and it was amazing when he sustained that run. Watching great horses it doesn't matter what the race is called. On that note I can't wait for Bitobliss V ITMQ.

+ Reply to Thread