Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: BIG increases in NSW Prizemoney increases from July 1st.

buster
    i have shares in a couple of more then handy ones but still it will be tough racing

Member Yearling maestro will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Increased prize money should be reflected in the standard of driving. If Menangle is a permanent Saturday night fixture, the best drivers in Australia ONLY should be in the bike. 20 drivers possibly less to choose from. Drivers could move up and out of the 20 depending upon their form with an emphasis on junior drivers in at least one race on each card. That still leaves Country and Provincials etc Expense wise, 3 ways ... Club, the driver themselves and Owners. It would lift the sport to a new level of professionalism and have a positive impact on turnover.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Interesting point maestro, with a big track like menangle i still don't understand how some drivers drive so poorly so bring on the top 20. One owner/driver even though he has some nice horses should not drive, i think his horses would grow a leg with another driver.

aussiebreno
    Don't like that idea - it's actually rather stupid and unworkable. The inivitational drivers races they stage every so often (with the Gavin Langs, DDouglas, C Alfords) mainly in Vic, while Ive seen just about each state have a ladies invite series, need increased prize-money and attract sub-par fields as it is.

If you chose a top 20 of NSW drivers how would it be done? The state premiership has a list of no-names anyway; if somebody had a visiting horse no doubt the Bennetts, McIlhenney and Fitzpatricks would have regular drives so they would be left to choose from John O'Shea or Josh Osborne. They are in states top20 but wouldnt it be better for that horses regular driver; for example; Daryl Douglas to drive MMC this week. Natalie Rasmussen wouldnt even be allowed to drive BAF in the Inter and the the Sapling Stakes winner last week (Montana Falcon I think) wouldn't have had her regular driver either! The list goes on and on....

If you chose Aust top 20 drivers then the only NSW driver in there is Greg Bennett (going of Top 20 for No. of Wins this Season). "Bring Bring, Bring Bring. Hey Greg, its Tappy here. We have Chariot King in this Friday. It is going to be a time trial though as they can't find drivers for the other horses. Apparently they live 1000kms away."

Junior Member Foal theracehorse will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown

Prizemoney

Hay Tripple are you sure about the prizemoney i heard that is was only the Menangle meetings that were increasing why would Rex Horne and his club be giving away there money to other clubs that they have nothing to do with

triplev123
    The question was asked of Rex on ITG last night....and he responsed that the July 1st increases would range from +60% to +100% above the current levels. THAT'S GOLD!
    On the score of Drivers, IMO that whole 'let's assemble a US-style catch driver pool of 20 or so chosen ones'... sucks a fat one and not only that but it goes hand in hand with the now 'a couple of times raised but quite rightly shot down in flames' idea of there being no Owners Colours anymore, only those applicable to the 20 or so chosen Drivers.
    Those were two absolute gems from the rather fertive grey matter of Minty Man Number 1 as I recall. I think it best he stick to tipping through his pocket and supporting both local and international Hair Gel manufacturers. GIVE YOURSELF A RUBBER CHICKEN AWARD ADDO!

triplev123
    Quote Originally Posted by theracehorse View Post
    Hay Tripple are you sure about the prizemoney i heard that is was only the Menangle meetings that were increasing why would Rex Horne and his club be giving away there money to other clubs that they have nothing to do with
    G'day racehorse,
    They're definately going to augment prizemoney available at Country Clubs. That comes directly from Rex. It's one of their main aims, not only to do it but to be seen to be doing it. They're acutely aware of the need for some of the money that comes from the sale of HP to assist the Country areas to prosper as well and there are many reasons for this, not the least of which is because they're all going to feeder tracks for Menangle. They realise that there's no point having great prizemoney at Menangle if the rest of the Clubs in NSW are racing for a ham sandwich and so the stronger the grass roots, the stronger the top end.
    I don't know the nuts and bolts of it all however I believe that a large part of this will be achieved through an ongoing series of Heat & Final races, the format of which I assume would be something along the lines of augmented prizemoney Heats held at various Country venues and Finals raced at Menangle or some such approach. The Carnival of Cups & so on would tie into all that as well I suppose. Totally altruistic motives my friend. 4 & a bit months and counting.

Member Yearling maestro will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Geez AussieB miss the point much ? Of course those horses you mentioned would have their regular drivers on board. Granted this is hardly a stellar crop of drivers in Syndey at present but 5 or 6 would make the cut and if Menangle is going Saturdays and Melton, Gloucester Park remain on Friday why not source Alford, Lang, Douglas, Sugars, Hall etc etc etc

Guarantee them 4 or 5 drives on hopefully a 9 or 10 race card and they'll come. If the prizemoney is doubling, professionalism in the driving ranks needs to lift three notches.

triplev123
    Maestro writes...If the prizemoney is doubling, professionalism in the driving ranks needs to lift three notches.

Triple says....Could not agree more. I think the increases in $ will have exactly that effect anyway. It'll demand greater professionalism by default.
    If you're a live shot that's going for the fat end the current $$$ then it's likely nobody's paying the air fair for those guys to zoom into Sydney of a Saturday night however if you're a live shot going for the fat end of 25k+ & there are multiple Owners with horses in other races that are of a similar mind then you're all thinking differently.
    Ring Ring....Ring Ring..."Hey Puppet...do you feel like Lunch at Doyle's Watsons Bay on Sunday arvo? Yeh? Ok, here's all ya gotta do.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by maestro View Post
    Geez AussieB miss the point much ? Of course those horses you mentioned would have their regular drivers on board. Granted this is hardly a stellar crop of drivers in Syndey at present but 5 or 6 would make the cut and if Menangle is going Saturdays and Melton, Gloucester Park remain on Friday why not source Alford, Lang, Douglas, Sugars, Hall etc etc etc

Guarantee them 4 or 5 drives on hopefully a 9 or 10 race card and they'll come. If the prizemoney is doubling, professionalism in the driving ranks needs to lift three notches.
    You've got your head in the clouds. 4 or 5 drives; on average that wouldnt even be 1 winner per meeting for them. Yep, I would fly from Perth to Sydney and back every week for a winner every 2nd week....not. Or are HRNSW going to subsidise all the plane trips and car trips? lol. You still might get some of Vic lads going up but not week in week out.
    What happens when Neil Day wants to take Haydaze or Camlach or whoever his next star is to Menangle? Is Neil not allowed to drive it? Or what. See how riduculous your idea is???
    Trainers and owners don't want to be dictated by who can and can't drive their horses either. Under your scheme Jackson Painting would not be allowed to drive at Menangle. He got a treble a fortnight back FFS.
    Last edited by aussiebreno; 02-15-2011 at 01:15 PM.

+ Reply to Thread