Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackie heart scare

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Maorisidol has a spectacular aura about Maorisidol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ash Singh

Blackie heart scare

Concern; Blacks A Fake has suffered cardiac arrhymthia again.
    The immediate future of Australia's greatest ever pacer is in serious doubt.
    Four time Inter Dominion champion Blacks A Fake suffered cardiac arrhythmia again this morning (Saturday) in trackwork for trainer/driver Natalie Rasmussen.
    His quest for another Inter Dominion title which begins next month in Christchurch is obviously in serious limbo also.
    The $4.3 million earner was sensationally eased out of a race last July at Albion Park when he was found to be suffering from the same condition.
    “He didn't feel right during his work and it was established he fibrillated again,” Rasmussen stated.
    “Everything was coming along well for another tilt at the Inter Dominion, most of our plans were in place.......that's obviously been turned upside down now.”
    Rasmussen is naturally disappointed but remains philosophical about the horse's well being.
    “It's shattering news, we're hoping his rhythm will return to normal by the end of the weekend,”
    “The vet will come back out early in the week and carry out more tests and then we will get a clearer picture of what our options are before making any predictions about his immediate future,”
    “I don't want to start making any statements right now about his future but if it's not good news he will be retired immediately, that's fact and something that all of us connected with the horse realise,”
    “Ever since he started his career, his health and well being has always been our number one priority, that has never changed and it never will.”
    Rasmussen was hoping to trial Blacks A Fake again this week before looking for a race start here in Brisbane.
    Blacks A Fake was expected to arrive in Christchurch early next month where he would either race or trial at Addington in preparation for the series which commences on March 25.
    Earlier this week, Blacks A Fake won a 1660m trial at Albion Park defeating Mr Feelgood in a time of 1.57.9.
    Blacks A Fake has not raced since winning the Christmas Cup at Albion Park on December 18.

triplev123
    We had one do that a year or so back and he recovered brilliantly.
    The Vet, the one and only Alistair McLean, simply crushed up a whole heap of Quinine Tablets, added some water and periodically tubed him with the resultant mixture until his heart went back to it's normal beat.
    Amongst its many handy aspects including anti-malarial as well as anti-inflamatory and anelgesic properties, Quinine is also an anti-arrhythmic which means that it supresses/corrects abnormal heart rhythms, the dreaded atrial fibrilation being one such example. Here ends today's excerpt from Chemistry 101.
    Last edited by triplev123; 02-13-2011 at 07:33 PM.

buster
    should be the end of a terrific career

triplev123
    Why? It's not a career ending problem by any means. I know of a number of horses that have fibrilated and on numerous occasions and are still racing as well as they ever have.

buster
    yes but i bet they hadn't won everything possible and had nothing left to prove and should be protected from diminishing their reputation

triplev123
    Nah, 9.5 out of 10 times it won't do that. It can be dangerous if it's not identified corrected but once it is it doesn't leave them with any permanent damage. For want of a better analogy it's like the heart version of a galloper getting on the wrong leg. Very common in horses that have been denied fluids in the lead up to a race. Their electrolytes can get out of whack and it sends their ticker into a spasm. Nolarama, that good racemare of John Caldow's, used to have the same problem.

Senior Member Colt Phoenix will become famous soon enough Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Panos Kambas
    Quote Originally Posted by buster View Post
    yes but i bet they hadn't won everything possible and had nothing left to prove and should be protected from diminishing their reputation
    I agree here. Blackie should have been retired immediately after winning ID10.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    I agree here. Blackie should have been retired immediately after winning ID10.
    Real life is different to fairy tales where they live happily ever after. Why retire a gelding who has just proved again he is still the best?

nat
    I'm with you Aussie on that premature retirement he was going great guns nearly won the Mile but now after 2 heart problems I don't want to hop in the PC one day and read Blackie dead after a hit out on Harnesslinks he has been to good for that to happen.

Funny side note that after 2 bleeding attacks automatic retirement for safety so a horse doesn't drop dead and cause an accident what's the difference?

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Agree with you on this one Aussiebreno, it will be interesting to see what the out come is.

+ Reply to Thread