Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Embryo transfer

Member Filly BenScadden will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ben Scadden

Embryo transfer

I have a New Zealand-bred four-year-old Artsplace mare who is racing quite nicely at the moment in Australia.

What is everyone's opinion on embryo transfer? I've always been an advocate of allowing a mare to carry and raise her own progeny - but there are obvious commercial benefits to embryo transfer.

Also, which stallion would be top of your list for an Artsplace mare (out of a Lordship mare)? She's medium-sized and good-gaited.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    Ben

I am currently giving serious consideration to doing the same thing with Arctic Fire whilst she is spelling.

I have done quite a bit of research on the matter.

Every vet i have spoken to assures me there is no scientific basis for it to affect the mare in any way, other than the slight discomfort during the procedure.

Tailamade Lombo had it done a couple of times and successfully returned to the racetrack and won G1 races.

Jadah Rose had the procedure done before going to the US. She did very well in the US, and the resultant foal Jadahson raced very well as a 2yo.

There is no doubt that there is a view that ET foals are not as good BUT there have have not been enough for that to be argued with any conviction.

It certainly didnt impact Invitro - i think she won over $1m!

I have absolutely no hesitation doing ET's on mares that cant carry a foal full term, but I havent yet decided in regard to racemares!

Hope this helps

Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    in answer to your second question, I would be going either a Cam fella line - Bettors Delight or Four Starzzz Shark or Western Hanover line - Jeremes Jet or Shadow Play

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea

Stallion for your Artsplace mare

Hi
    In reply what stallion to go to it all comes down to how much you want to spend, if i had an Artsplace mare and also had money i'd go straight to Rocknroll Hanover as 7 of his best 10 are out of Artsplace mare's and his 2 best who will be 3yo colt and filly of the year in the U.S in Rocknroll Heaven and Put on a Show are out of Artsplace mare's or even go to Western Ideal or a horse by Western Ideal in American Ideal who has done a great job in the U.S this year and is superbly bred.

Real Name
    Ben Scadden
    Thanks for the feedback folks.

My fundamental instinct is that I would prefer my mare to retire, be bred and raise her foal herself. But perhaps that's just too old-fashioned. I'd almost certainly sell her first foal and I'd like to think, depending on type, we'd reap the rewards.

As far as stallions go, my No.1 is still Rocknroll Hanover ... he's just crossing so well with Artsplace mares in the US ... but it's a significant outlay at $24,750. I guess if you get the right type of colt it could seem cheap, though.

I'm also a big fan of American Ideal ... really liked the way his progeny have raced this season and the few reports I've had from NZ on his first crop there are very encouraging.

I'll keep pondering.

Thanks again

Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Quote Originally Posted by BenScadden View Post
    Thanks for the feedback folks.

My fundamental instinct is that I would prefer my mare to retire, be bred and raise her foal herself. But perhaps that's just too old-fashioned. I'd almost certainly sell her first foal and I'd like to think, depending on type, we'd reap the rewards.

As far as stallions go, my No.1 is still Rocknroll Hanover ... he's just crossing so well with Artsplace mares in the US ... but it's a significant outlay at $24,750. I guess if you get the right type of colt it could seem cheap, though.

I'm also a big fan of American Ideal ... really liked the way his progeny have raced this season and the few reports I've had from NZ on his first crop there are very encouraging.

I'll keep pondering.

Thanks again
    I agree on RNRH for Artsplace mares, BUT if you are doing an ET then you need to use the most fertile stallion around. Using frozen semen would greatly reduce your chances of getting a successful ET.

Senior Member 2YO Bonnie will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Anne Anderson
    Occupation
    Horse Breeder /Owner
    Horses
    Ladies In Red, Hurricane Harley, Honolua
    RockNRoll Hanover
    In Victoria last season we found Bettor's Delight to be the most fertile of the fresh semen stallions we used. RockNRoll Hanover is the most fertile frozen semen stallion we have ever used. We sent three mares to him last season and all reurned positve pregancy tests for twins. Two of those pregancies were retained after one twin was eliminated. These two pregancies were Artsplace mares and are due to foal within the next 1/2 weeks. My Artsplace mares this year have been booked to Bettors Delight and American Ideal.
    We have also done ET's and because of the cost involved I would recommend you use a proven stallion as whilst your mare is a winning mare I would not use a first season sire.
    Our first pregancy this year has been frozen semen using Somebeachsomewhere ( twins again ) but the pregancy is now a single one after one twin was squashed.

Junior Member Foal Backward Step will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    A cheaper option with the same bloodlines you desire would be Righteous Hanover standing at Stallion Station for circa $1500. He retired due to injury and the prgeny I have seen are outstanding

Real Name
    Ben Scadden
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Righteous Hanover do well at stud ... but I think I need to shoot for a high-profile stallion first-up. We'd almost certainly sell the first foal, so commercial value of a stallion is important.

Thanks again

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Ben
    I'd also take a look at Western Ideal my mare just had her first foal by him and it's correct and of good size. Western Ideal has a strong family and i do think they will be very commercial. I went to him as my mare is 15.2 and a racy type where he is 16.1 and all muscle and looking at the foal he has put his traits in her and they say the first one is the smallest.

+ Reply to Thread