Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: good idea ???

Banned Gelding mary will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mary hughes

good idea ???

Whats peoples thoughts on this idea?
    Fastest qualify....I guess they ALL may try.
    5 heats.

Race 2
    SEW- EURODRIVE NIGHTS OF THUNDER QUALIFYING HEAT 1 MS PACE (SKY 1)4:20 PM M0 To M3. ALL RUNNERS START OFF THE FRONT LINE. FASTEST 9 HORSES qualify for the final at GPM 11-1-13. PBD/M. Prizemoney: $16,500

Senior Member 2YO Big Max will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ross La Spina
    I think it's a brilliant idea,it should cut out all the "lead walk sprint home"heats that almost everyone on here including me whinge about.

Senior Member 4YO dizzy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    dot schmidt
    Its a bad and shortsighted idea.

What happens when the leader goes too hard and drops out, does the driver get off for a bad drive by telling the stewards I had to go that fast to make the qualifying time. What about the driver that use the whip excessively, I had too sir to make the time. Great image for the sport to see a horse that may be lengths in front of the others being whipped to ensure it runs fast enough to make a qualifying time.

It may be used in human sports Adam but in this country at least human athletes are competing of their own free will, incentivised perhaps by glory or finacial reward, our horses have no choice in the matter and are at risk of being whipped if they don't satisfy our demands upon them, yet we cant be satisfied enough now just to win we have to devise race conditions that maximise the demand that we place on the animal. Its 2013, how do we justify our obsession with how fast a horse runs, a quantifiable measure of the demand we place on the horse, to not only animal welfare advocates but the general public as well?

Senior Member 4YO HaroldParker will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Bob Parker
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Its a bad and shortsighted idea.

What happens when the leader goes too hard and drops out, does the driver get off for a bad drive by telling the stewards I had to go that fast to make the qualifying time. What about the driver that use the whip excessively, I had too sir to make the time. Great image for the sport to see a horse that may be lengths in front of the others being whipped to ensure it runs fast enough to make a qualifying time.

It may be used in human sports Adam but in this country at least human athletes are competing of their own free will, incentivised perhaps by glory or finacial reward, our horses have no choice in the matter and are at risk of being whipped if they don't satisfy our demands upon them, yet we cant be satisfied enough now just to win we have to devise race conditions that maximise the demand that we place on the animal. Its 2013, how do we justify our obsession with how fast a horse runs, a quantifiable measure of the demand we place on the horse, to not only animal welfare advocates but the general public as well?
    Spot on. It's ridiculous !

Senior Member 4YO HaroldParker will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Bob Parker
    Gloucester Park has the most competitive racing every week. Lead, Walk, Sprint was never going to be an option with or without these ridiculous conditions.

+ Reply to Thread