Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Colt foal that bites- any ideas?

triplev123

Colt foal that bites- any ideas?

Got this damned colt foal that bites, goes out of his way to do so.
    It's only half playing at the moment but he is getting bigger & bigger and little by little it's getting more & more forceful. Eventually I think he'll become a real pain in the arse and it'll be real a problem to manange. Any ideas of how to deter him from doing this? None of the others do it, they're terrific. It's just this fella. Chilli paste on a stick perhaps?

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Hi TripleV123,
    The chilli paste on a stick might work, if he is biting your stick. How about after the chilli paste is on the stick you then proceed to rub
    it on yourself, or where ever he is biting.
    Another option would be to load up with a hard left hook. One will do just fine, then ignore him for he is a colt and best left to be a colt

triplev123
    That's funny justdoit but it's not particularly helpful.
    A friend told me to give him slap him on the nose when he tries to bite so he learns that it is not the thing to do. You're right about colts being left to be colts. Further to that I am not a great fan of gelding horses because too often it's about ease of management for the trainer rather than what's best for the horse.

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    I get told this often "stop playing with the foals and leave them alone".
    Last edited by justdoit; 02-16-2011 at 05:47 AM.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hopefully when you wean him and throw him in with another couple of colts he might come back to size. There's always one that bite's but when he gets a kick up the guts by another they normally come back a bit.

nat
    Not sure about the chili paste or slapping don't want to make him head shy already but the other points are valid, leave him alone put them down the back paddock, not a fan of gelding either (it is the covenant way out and no guarantee) and when he is weaned through him in with couple of calmer older horses they will sort him out.

triplev123
    G'day Nat,
    We should have seen it coming really. I was thinking about it last night & he started pushing his mother around in a similar fashion from about 2 weeks of age, kept on walking up and kind of bulldozing her about his shoulder or nipping at her flanks, legs and so on and she has pretty much put up with him ever since. Probably not all that surprisingly he thinks he can do the same to people. I think he's become a bit of a Bully because the old girl has never pulled him up on it.

Senior Member 4YO Don Corleone has a spectacular aura about Don Corleone's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Fidow
    Occupation
    Sec Cons
    For what it worth triple, I think it's not a bad sign. I like colts and moreso mares that are bullys. On the track I think they exude a sense of arrogance that only helps. As for slapping his head...............DON"T.

buster
    dont slap them unless they get savage, otherwise they will just pester you by spooking every time you put your hand under their head

just leave him as best as you can, colts are always going to be nipping, gelding imo is just a safety thing - colts are dangerous to themselves when out in the paddock when they are fit and feeling good and its not nice to have to lock them up all the time

buster
    i have a filly foal thats a bit bitchy, lays the ears back and bites and gets up and strikes her mother across the back..but i would prefer her to think shes pretty good then be a sook

+ Reply to Thread