Roll With Joe
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: WA Pacing Cup - 11/01/2013

Banned Filly little fish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Username deleted
    My opinion is Quinn's real form gauge is his form in the eastern states - absolute top class - but watching him win WA FFA's around a dog track every week going half pace does little for his credibility it is his performances against the best on proper tracks that will get him his kudos.

However I don't think these arrogant eagles supporters really care about competing against the best on a regular basis. Who can blame them when there is so much money around over there for racing against meat and potatoes FFA type opposition.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Quote Originally Posted by little fish View Post
    My opinion is Quinn's real form gauge is his form in the eastern states - absolute top class - but watching him win WA FFA's around a dog track every week going half pace does little for his credibility it is his performances against the best on proper tracks that will get him his kudos.

However I don't think these arrogant eagles supporters really care about competing against the best on a regular basis. Who can blame them when there is so much money around over there for racing against meat and potatoes FFA type opposition.
    Barry, don't know where you get the idea ITMQ is going half pace because if he is I'd love to see him at full speed around a dog track ( I suppose you would classify Globe Derby in the same catergory). If you hadn't noticed ITMQ ran the race some 11 seconds faster with a very fast mile rate ( on a dog track) than either Smoken Up or Sushi Sushi did last night over almost same distance. The difficulty in getting the horse to Sydney and to a lesser degree Melbourne) is something you refuse to acknowledge over there and you expect him to do this continually on a regular basis, which he does. If there is so much money around over here - which there is - why aren't the eastern states horses over here getting a share; I suspect it's got something to do with the distance the same problem ITMQ has but guess what he turns up, you lot don't. Two races over here in a week worth $ 650,000 (big money in anyone's language) and your lot haven't the guts to face up to ITMQ on his home track as G Hall jnr said. Oh, and by the way Gloucester Park is the show place of Australian harness racing, the only true 'ribbon of light' left. Sure, both Menagle and Melton have bigger tracks but they appear to have been built in the middle of a cow paddock and the watering hole in the middle of Melton is something else ( got a fleeting glimpse of it, camera didn't linger on it too long and obviously for good reason, sure it's where the cows come down to drink). Imagine holding these up to the Americans as our show pieces of Australian Harness Racing, good for a laugh I imagine.
    Last edited by Mighty Atom; 01-13-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: punctuation

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    Rod, your remark about IMQ going so much quicker (as you say on a dog track) than the other 2 winners last night prompted me to look at how much quicker IMQ was than the visitors at last years Interdominion.

I was surprised to say the least at the outcome.

!st night 1700m....Auckland Reactor 1.53.7
    Crombie 1.55.9
    Smoken Up 1.53.7
    IMQ 1.55.8

2nd night 2100m Raglan 1.55.4
    Auck Reactor 1.55.2
    S U 1.55.4
    IMQ 1.58.0

3rd night 2506m S U 1.56.0
    Auck Reactor 1.58.7
    Mr Feelgood 1.55.4
    IMQ 1.57.5

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Maorisidol has a spectacular aura about Maorisidol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ash Singh
    Thanks for that Bailey,
    Funny how a concept of assessing different races on other tracks and the horses performance by times ONLY can backfire in ya face...
    Rod, how come Pure Steel, Village Kid, Preux Chevalier came to the eastern states more often than Quinn does or has so far at the peak of his career?
    All those horses won over here so many times too...
    And Rod, Gloucester Park as Australia's showplace track!!!!!??? It's a lovely setting no doubt but u think Americans would prefer the 800m to Menangle? Come on mate, I know u r a 1 eyed Perth boy but seriously, don't let that blur your vision to say silly things. And worse u r assessing Melton and Menangle by what u see on telly! U ain't never been to either track?
    It's about the horses Rod, the future of high quality racing that advances the breed, and that encapsulates a track we have for the Harness Industry in Australia where the 1:50 mark has been broken. Personally as a kid growing up watching trots for the last 45 years the possibility of 1:50 Downunder was never gonna happen and I actually smile, almost laugh at the thought that it has happened, I think it's amazing, but u know if we didn't have that "dustbowl" in the cow paddock as u say, it wouldn't have happened mate.
    U can't tell me in your years of wisdom Rod that that's not good for the future advancement of the industry!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Quote Originally Posted by p plater View Post
    Rod, your remark about IMQ going so much quicker (as you say on a dog track) than the other 2 winners last night prompted me to look at how much quicker IMQ was than the visitors at last years Interdominion.

I was surprised to say the least at the outcome.

!st night 1700m....Auckland Reactor 1.53.7
    Crombie 1.55.9
    Smoken Up 1.53.7
    IMQ 1.55.8

2nd night 2100m Raglan 1.55.4
    Auck Reactor 1.55.2
    S U 1.55.4
    IMQ 1.58.0

3rd night 2506m S U 1.56.0
    Auck Reactor 1.58.7
    Mr Feelgood 1.55.4
    IMQ 1.57.5
    Bailey , correct with the times but as we know ITMQ doesn't lead so his times are determined by horse in front. Pacing Cup: 1:56:6 mile rate coming home in 55:8 with ITMQ doing it three wide - over all 11 secs faster than Smoken Up both on 800 metre tracks and SU was flat out.

Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Maorisidol View Post
    Thanks for that Bailey,
    Funny how a concept of assessing different races on other tracks and the horses performance by times ONLY can backfire in ya face...
    Rod, how come Pure Steel, Village Kid, Preux Chevalier came to the eastern states more often than Quinn does or has so far at the peak of his career?
    All those horses won over here so many times too...
    And Rod, Gloucester Park as Australia's showplace track!!!!!??? It's a lovely setting no doubt but u think Americans would prefer the 800m to Menangle? Come on mate, I know u r a 1 eyed Perth boy but seriously, don't let that blur your vision to say silly things. And worse u r assessing Melton and Menangle by what u see on telly! U ain't never been to either track?
    It's about the horses Rod, the future of high quality racing that advances the breed, and that encapsulates a track we have for the Harness Industry in Australia where the 1:50 mark has been broken. Personally as a kid growing up watching trots for the last 45 years the possibility of 1:50 Downunder was never gonna happen and I actually smile, almost laugh at the thought that it has happened, I think it's amazing, but u know if we didn't have that "dustbowl" in the cow paddock as u say, it wouldn't have happened mate.
    U can't tell me in your years of wisdom Rod that that's not good for the future advancement of the industry!
    Ash, the last time I looked Americans didn't seem to mind racing on Yonkers Raceway for some fairly important races through the season.

Senior Member 4YO HaroldParker will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Bob Parker
    I'm a big fan of Lombo Navigator. I won plenty on him in ID12 and IMO he's the second best horse in WA. He was given no chance on Friday. Clearly the barn were all in on Dasher the way the draw worked out. Lombo went four pegs after 50 yards and that was that. They'll be hoping for better luck in the Fremantle Cup and ID13 heat. If ITMQ is beaten, throw away last week, Lombo Navigator will be the horse that does it.

I'm a Sydneysider, I live 100 yards from Harold Park and I enjoy an evening out at Menangle but Gloucester Park has the best racing in Australia and clearly. Collectively, from a punting perspective, they have the best crop of drivers in the country too.

Member Gelding littlelenny will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    lenny panetto
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Atom View Post
    Bailey , correct with the times but as we know ITMQ doesn't lead so his times are determined by horse in front. Pacing Cup: 1:56:6 mile rate coming home in 55:8 with ITMQ doing it three wide - over all 11 secs faster than Smoken Up both on 800 metre tracks and SU was flat out.
    Rod 11 sec faster is not really accurate considering they are run at two different tracks at different distances. What we saw on Saturday night from both Smoken Up and Caribbean Blaster was heart stopping stuff IMO it was the race of the weekend.
    In regards to the other races it was good to see Sushi back to his best, Mah Sish went super and Excel Stride came back a winner.

With Quinnys win on Friday night it overall was a great weekend of racing, and bring on the Interdominion its going to be a great race just as the Victoria Cup was.

Rod if you really believe Quinny is 11 seconds faster then he'll be unbeatable in the Inter final so jump onto fixed odds and get the $4.00 on offer.

Level playing field in my opinion and all winners this weekend have earnt my respect as winning hopes for the inter. We know from the last time they met in the Victoria Cup that tactics and luck in the run will play a major factor.

Senior Member Colt G-Mac will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Glen McWilliams
    Horses
    Jewel Castle Diamond Castle
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Atom View Post
    Ash, the last time I looked Americans didn't seem to mind racing on Yonkers Raceway for some fairly important races through the season.
    Yonkers is quite a different track to GP though Rod. I don't know if you've been there but the only half mile track I have seen in Australia to come close to it is (was) Harold Park. About a 200m home straight and steeply cambered bends as opposed to GP's 145m home straight and longer, flatter bends.

As for comparing the runs of Smoken Up and ITMQ, they were both exceptional and highlighted the strengths of both horses.
    Smoken up did it at both ends of the race, crossing to lead from gate 7 and setting the pace. He was headed in the straight but fought back to win. A magnificent race it was. I didn't have a bet in the race but it was by far the best thing I saw all weekend.
    ITMQ smoked his pipe, took the trail up from his stable mate, and went whoosh with his customary paralysing burst of speed. I have watched many go around that track but have never seen one able to take that bend at that speed. The rest had no chance with him poised to strike. A beautifully balanced athlete he is. An excitement machine.

One is all guts and determination, looking like he has had enough but finding that bit extra to get himself over the line. The other is pure speed and grace.
    I love them both for what they are.

Senior Member Colt G-Mac will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Glen McWilliams
    Horses
    Jewel Castle Diamond Castle
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Mac View Post
    ITMQ starts off the back line which isn't a bad thing for him. I can't see him getting a trail into the race in this edition as he did in 2012 and coming off a slower pace Dasher VC might be able to turn around the 1.6m defeat.

The one that may cause a boilover at very good odds is Livingontheinterest. It will trail Dasher VC through and probably end up with cover in the moving line right on the speed. Despite last week being run to suit it was still a very good performance and you cannot argue with picket fence form. 7 starts in WA for 7 wins, 6 at GP. It would be rude not to have a bob each way if the price is right.
    Of course, I didn't take into account that they are stablemates and Livingontheinterest would move first to give ITMQ a cart home did I? Failure on my behalf, it was as clear as dog's ..... after the race started and I was kicking myself.

I trust K Prentice was taken care of.

Closed Thread